Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 05:04 PM

12 posts, read 51,083 times

Advertisements

I am looking for somwhere not too far from Boston(Max 35 mins). Need a big house with lots of history. Needs to be a town/city with lots of history, lots of trees, nice people, very low crime and a nice community. Money not an issue (I don't mean to be arrogant). Would prefer a very old town if possible. I live in London, and only really familiar with Boston. Areas I have looked at so far is Brookline, Boston, but looking for somewhere really special. The home of dreams!

Also, I would need a home with lots of privacy and some grounds ( 2 - 3 acres at least )

Anybody have any ideas ? Otherwise if not near boston, where else would you suggest east coast? Vermont maybe ?

I have noticed quite a few people saying that anything near boston is very expensive. To clarify, my budget is extremely high.

Thanx for your help.

Last edited by Providential Man; 08-14-2007 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: more info.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:03 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Default Weston and Wayland are possibilities

When you said you wanted trees, I wasn't sure whether you meant neighborhoods with big shade trees or an area with woods and fields. When you said you wanted some acreage, I thought right away of Weston. It's west of Boston, the closest town to the west that has a lot of open land and many large yards. You can't live very far from Boston in any direction and stay within your 35-minute range during the heavy traffic of rush hours, but the traffic is probably less gruesome from the west than it is from the north or south. In Weston, living on the south side of town makes access to Boston especially convenient, since it's a quick trip to the MA Turnpike from almost anywhere on the south side, and from there it's a straight shot into the city. Even though traffic is slow during rush hours, north or south of Boston you'll probably have to get farther from the city to find towns with yards the size of Weston's, so Weston is probably as close to Boston as you can get and find numerous properties of several acres.

After Weston, the next town to the west is Wayland, another town with lots of woods and fields and a fair number of large yards. Whether Weston or Wayland would work better for you depends on the details you'd prefer in a town. Wayland is that much farther from Boston, but Weston has a very small town center, while Wayland has more in the way of local small businesses, while also being very close to a bunch of malls and restaurants in the towns of Natick and Framingham, still a little farther west.

If you're looking at Brookline, you might also consider Newton, which borders Boston on the west. Newton is similar to Brookline, except a bit less urban than Brookline. Very upscale, mostly residential. Large town--population of 80k-90k--but divided into small neighborhoods, or "villages," each with its own local shopping area, and each with its own sense of community, almost like separate small towns that all share one city government. The yards tend to be bigger in Newton than Brookline, but you still would have to do a serious search to have any chance of finding those two or three acres you seek. Nice town in other ways, though.

Another possibility is Wellesley, immediately to the south of Weston. Wellesley is another very affluent town. It has a more substantial downtown than Wayland or Weston, but is not as woodsy as those two towns. The lots in Wellesley are larger on average than those in Newton, but it still might take some digging to find the size you're looking for.

Newton and Wellesley are both nice, clean, affluent towns, so they're worth looking at, but two of your best bets for finding the size property you seek would be Weston and Wayland. Lots of towns to the west of Boston have the size property you're looking for, but most of those I haven't mentioned here are outside that 35-minute commuting range. Best of luck.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:16 PM

Default What do you think of Manchester-By-The-Sea ?

Is it very close to Boston, found a couple of properties. Looking at it now, I would love to find 7+ Acres, and the house would need to be at least 15,000 Sq ft.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:34 PM

69 posts, read 292,278 times
for that sq ft. look at Weston and the cost to buy? between 6-10,000,000. Is that your price range?

Old 08-14-2007, 06:37 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Manchester (by-the . . .) is nice, but beyond your preferred commuting range. During rush hours, traffic is heavy enough that you can't get very far from Boston at all and be within 35 minutes.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Size and Price.

Sue629 I would not mind going much higher than that if required. I am really looking for something truly special.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:45 PM

Default rush hour

How long would it take to get to Boston Financial district not in rush hour ?

Also thank you for taking the time to help me.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:32 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,418 times
Sudbury is a little further out, but it is very historic and very beautifull. You would stand a chance of getting more acreage there as well.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:57 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Manchester by the Sea is simply a beautiful area, Myopia Polo Club, etc. Many waterfront estates with ultimate privacy. There are some very impressive properties on the market right now...

Rockport/Marblehead gets difficult to find acreage that you're seeking. Would you prefer to be on the coast or inland?

Further north, Boxford is a bit further than the 30 minutes that you were seeking, but very convenient to Route 95, an almost straight shot into Boston. Also some very unique estate properties, quite a few of our local sports legends have settled in Boxford....

Old 08-14-2007, 08:22 PM

735 posts, read 3,501,333 times
Providential~

With your budget, you can have a fairly easy time finding your dream home. If you consider moving further away from the city, you have many more options (the Cape).

If you don't mind me asking- why must you be within 35 minutes of the city? Maybe for dining and shopping/entertainment?

I lived in London for half a year and grew up in New York- sure you want to move here? HAAa!
I think Boston is very different from London...

What is your timeline? And are you serious about 15,000 sq. ft? That is a huge amount of space and not many properties exist of that size.

Maybe you can claify what your needs/preferences are and provide some more details. Everyone here will help you!

Cheers,
NY'er

Last edited by NY'er lost in MA; 08-14-2007 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts