Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 07:27 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times

Advertisements

For instance, here's some facts about Andover, MA. that I thought you should know. It's about 35 minutes from Boston for one thing.

I dunno. I have serious doubts about whether you'd do this trip in 35 minutes during rush hours. Just bringing this up for anyone who could benefit who might happen to read this thread. Haven't seen the original poster on here for a while. I'm guessing he's gotten all the info he wants from this forum and has moved on to the next step.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 15,716 times
i know an excellent custom home builder in weston. weston is the town where you want to be. meets all of your criteria. more than willing to give info on builder.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westonlegacy View Post
i know an excellent custom home builder in weston. weston is the town where you want to be. meets all of your criteria. more than willing to give info on builder.
Talk about ressurecting an old, dormant thread . . .

Old 10-11-2007, 07:13 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
He's just trying to discreetly advertise his building company. All his posts are the same -- "I can give you info on a local builder"

Old 10-11-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
He's just trying to discreetly advertise his building company. All his posts are the same -- "I can give you info on a local builder"
Yeah, I've seen a few of his posts. This was just my way of asking why he bothers to add one here. I suppose maybe he's hoping other high-end buyers will see the post. The OP is long gone. Interestingly enough, Weston wouldn't have many (if any options) that would meet the OP's requirements. Not many old houses the size the OP wanted. Not actually all that many new houses that size, despite the town's upscale reputation. Anwyway . . . isn't there supposed to be some policy against using this forum for commercial purposes?

Old 10-11-2007, 06:20 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
This is a tired old thread and should be shut down IMO.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:41 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
It definitely was a ploy for whatever reason (the original OP, I mean) but I have to admit that it was great fun to search the MLS for high-end homes in Manchester by the Sea, Weston, etc if only to sigh at the beautiful homes and their settings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Interestingly enough, Weston wouldn't have many (if any options) that would meet the OP's requirements. Not many old houses the size the OP wanted. Not actually all that many new houses that size, despite the town's upscale reputation. Anwyway . . . isn't there supposed to be some policy against using this forum for commercial purposes?

Old 10-12-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
It definitely was a ploy for whatever reason (the original OP, I mean) but I have to admit that it was great fun to search the MLS for high-end homes in Manchester by the Sea, Weston, etc if only to sigh at the beautiful homes and their settings...
Yes. Those who criticized users for responding to the OP may not have realized that some of us were having some fun making a game of seeing whether we could figure out places that met all his criteria--besides the fact that in your case (Valerie) it's probably useful professionally to stay up to date on what real estate is out there. And, as you say, maybe some of us were doing some window shopping as well.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:40 PM

42 posts, read 191,050 times
I am a realtor, so let me qualify how it works. You can certainly go looking at houses and make an offer on any property without a realtor representing you.

But if you want a realtor to help you and take you around looking at houses, the realtor would want you to sign a buyer's agent agreement with them so that they can get paid. The way it works is the realtor selling the home charges the person selling the home a commission in MA that is typically equal to 5% of the home's sale price. If you have a buyer agent representing you, and that agent brings you to the sale, then the selling agent splits the commission with your buyer's agent. So, without that agreement, the buyer's agent could do all that work and not get paid because the selling agent would not split the commission with them.

The upside for you is that you would not be the one paying a realtor because you are on the buyer side and your agent would get paid by the split with the selling agent. But you can also end your arrangement with a buyer's agent at any time if you are not happy with their service. If you end the agreement, the only obligation would be that if they had brought you to see a house and you did wind up buying it after you ended the agreement, they would likely go to the selling agent for their half of the commission because by law, they brought you to the sale.

Generally, it is in your best interest to be represented by a buyer's agent because you don't know the area, the value of homes here, etc. The selling agent represents the sellers and will not be looking out for your best interest. A buyer's agent will negotiate on your behalf and make sure you get the best deal on the home and will know what the home is worth, whether the town meets your needs, etc. They can also help you through the process by helping you find all the other resources you will need - lawyer, home inspector, etc.

Hope that helps clarify how it works here in the US. It's probably much the same a the UK.

Last edited by MichelleLane; 01-10-2009 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: fixing grammar

Old 01-29-2009, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 17,135 times
If money is no object, then Weston is your town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts