Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:25 AM

345 posts, read 1,578,418 times

Advertisements

i am native new englander and i didn't know that... i am learning as we go!!
many of us may have "learned" some things in school but don't remember anymore...i know i feel lost just helping my children with their homework!! lol!!

Old 08-18-2007, 05:47 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
When I lived in the St Louis area of Missouri some years back, I was astonished that so many of the people I met didn't know the states of New England. Everyone outside of the area (and some who even live here!) think that New York state is part of NE (If NEW Hampshire is part of NE, then NEW York must be as well!) Remembering that New England would fit inside a couple of the more western states, we really do have that "little dog attitude" thing going on... Not everyone in this area, never mind the country, the continent, or the world, knows what New England includes and doesn't include.

Here is a little test: http://www.pibmug.com/files/map_test.swf (broken link)

Last edited by Valerie C; 08-18-2007 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: added the link for the test!

Old 08-18-2007, 09:15 PM

735 posts, read 3,501,796 times
well, many people don't know that NY is part of the tri-state area: NY, NJ, and CT. This grouping makes much more sense as it sort of revolves around NYC..

But sure- there are so many little quirks to our country, it really is not hard to learn about some of them for the first time.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:48 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
But "tri-state" is just a TV newsman's term, whereas the name "New England" has been around since before the Plymouth settlement and it has lasting cultural and historic meanings for people. And "tri-state" is problematic because it includes Connecticut, which is at the same time part of New England. Also, "tri-state" only makes sense in and around NYC; no one in Buffalo or Syracuse considers themselves part of a "tri-state" area. New York and New Jersey were a single colony under the Dutch and only became separate as a result of some incidental palace intrigue in the English royal family. But as much as it may seem like NJ is connected to New York from the vantage point of NYC, in south Jersey the allegiance is to Philadelphia. In short, "tri-state" is full of holes.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:12 AM

735 posts, read 3,501,796 times
I was only referring to the areas that are loosely grouped.

CT is an interesting mix. Western CT is definitely more metropolitan in nature- everyone works in NY for the most part as does Northern NJ. NYC is the hub.

New England is much more vast and definitely more historic in nature. But people often forget that New Amsterdam precedes Plymouth.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:51 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
If anyone has ever seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail don't some of these explanations remind you of how a pigeon can fly carrying a coconut? LOL. Just my wacky sense of humor....no offense intended. Proceed.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:59 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Default Evangeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You must not have had to read Evangeline when you were in high school! Seriously, I think most New Englanders, at least the native ones, probably know that.
CaseyB, I did not, but I see I should have. Thanks for the reference!

Old 08-20-2007, 07:11 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
I don't know what the cost of living is or what RE prices are in London, but perhaps the $10MM price tag is not so outrageous there? In NYC, one could easily purchase a penthouse apartment and spend that much. Maybe the original poster is just unaware that it might not be necessary to spend upwards of $10MM and get what he wants. Or maybe he doesn't realize that you don't need 15+ acres to have a beautiful estate here.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:43 AM

100 posts, read 475,029 times
A small three bedroom flat in Knightsbridge will run you several million dollars, so it is entirely possible for someone to think $10,000,000 is a normal amount for a single family home.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:54 AM

2 posts, read 18,905 times
Default Have you thought of Milton ?

Hello

Milton was recently voted the 7th best city in the US by Money magazine. It abuts Boston yet it feels that you are in the country. It is an old town with a lot of history including the Suffolk Resolve House where the details of the constitution where discussed. It has some spectacular properties overlooking the Blue Hills reservation. It is ldefinetly ess that 35 minutes from downtown when there is no traffic. Milton Academy a private school has boarders and students from all around the word. The governor of Massachusetts leaves there.I hope you will take a look at this town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts