Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 08:06 PM

21 posts, read 33,820 times

Advertisements

I will find out within the next week or so if I have a job in Raynham, MA. In the meantime I'm trying to look at potential places to rent. Any suggestions on a good website to conduct my rental search? All the websites I look at seem geared toward apartments. I would like to find a townhouse or condo. I want to find somewhere within about 20 minutes drive time hopefully. 30 tops. I also want a place with a garage.

Any suggestions on a website? I'm moving from out of state and know nothing about the area. Also, suggestions on nicer areas to live, where to avoid, etc.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 09:46 PM

I'm single but not a big "night life" kinda guy. 34, no kids, professional. I'd prefer somewhere a bit less populated but that's negotiable. I'm more worried about the commute. I'd like to keep rent under 1500 a month but can go higher if necessary. Somewhere clean with low crime. Not sure what else to add.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makolly View Post
Try themlsonline.com It's a great site and you can narrow your search to include specifically what you're looking for.

You need to give more info as to what kind of town you're looking for so people can suggest what might be a good fit for you. Do schools matter, for example. I can tell you this though...avoid Taunton if you can.

Good luck!
To add further, I looked at that website. I'm looking to rent, not buy. I need to find a website that lists condos and townhouses for rent in the area. Thanks again all!

Old 08-26-2011, 08:14 AM

165 posts, read 328,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_pilot View Post
To add further, I looked at that website. I'm looking to rent, not buy. I need to find a website that lists condos and townhouses for rent in the area. Thanks again all!
It does show rentals. Click on "rental properties" on the home page and you pick each town that you want to look at as well as price range, number of bedrooms, etc. You can also sign up and get emails when something new becomes available that matches your criteria.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makolly View Post
It does show rentals. Click on "rental properties" on the home page and you pick each town that you want to look at as well as price range, number of bedrooms, etc. You can also sign up and get emails when something new becomes available that matches your criteria.
My apologies, I see it now. Any suggestions on nicer areas to live in the immediate area of Raynham?

Old 08-26-2011, 03:03 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Townhouses really aren't all that common here. Condos can be found, but not nearly to the extend you'd find them in other parts of the country. Much of our housing stock is older and most rentals are in those older buildings. It's much more common to find an old mansion divided into 3 or 4 rental units than it is to find newer rental condos. You may be better off looking at some of the better apartment complexes nearby (not that there are tons of those either) and checking craigslist for the occasional available condo that may pop up. Traffic around Raynham tends to be just fine. It's not close enough to central Boston to be too affected by daily rush hour traffic.

Look for stuff in Raynham itself (it's nice off of the commercial stretch of Route 44), Bridgewater (nice little town center with a small college), Mansfield, Norton, Easton, Lakeville (I know there are some Lakefront rentals there), Freetown, and Middleborough (nice town center, fairly rural outside of that).

Taunton is right there and will probably turn up most of the rentals in your search, but be careful. Taunton covers a huge area, and while parts of it are rural (see: East Taunton) and nice, the center of town is fairly urban and rundown (albeit, with a nice little town common). Same can be said for Brockton except that it's a larger urban area than Taunton. Given your criteria, I'd avoid most of Brockton/

Bridgewater and Norton are nice, but you may find that rentals are more geared to college students.

Lakeville has some nice, newer rental units at Kensington Court right next to the train station. It's just off of 495 so the commute to Raynham would be a breeze no matter what time of day. Also in Lakeville, you may find some nice small cottages to rent (many of them lakefront). These were mostly older vacation homes that have been winterized for year-round use. Perfect for a single person.

Freetown won't turn up much, but if you do find something, it's quiet, nice and safe. Mansfield and Easton are both safe, suburban communities. Anything there would be good.

While I'd tell you to avoid just about all of Fall River, the FAR North End (along Main Street by exit 8 off of Route 24) is loaded with newer apartment complexes and there are some condos for rent in there. Four Winds is one of the units there and it's nice enough. This region of the city is suburban in nature, safe and feels very disconnected from the rest of town (which is fairly rundown). I'd also look at Royal Crest on Highland Avenue (also quiet and safe).

New Bedford will be closer to the 30 minute end of your commute (traffic is rarely an issue along the route) but may offer some decent last-resort options. It's the polar opposite of what you requested (a less-populated area), but the Regency in downtown New Bedford is very nice. It has parking, great views (Martha's Vineyard, Buzzard's Bay, etc) and you can walk to a good number of shops, restaurants, museums, etc. New Bedford also has a few nice Mill Conversion loft apartments worth checking out. The Lofts at Wamsutta are very nicely done. It's bounded by highways on two side (18 and 195) and the rest of the neighborhood is a bit ugly (but not dangerous), but the complex itself is very large and set off nicely from the rest of the neighborhood with a gated parking lot and secure entrances. The Victoria Riverside in New Bedford is brand new with townhouse lofts. It's well located for commuting and while not unsafe, the neighborhood isn't charming (again, a little older and rundown). The water frontage at Victoria isn't as nice as they make it out to be (a work in progress), but it's not terrible. The units themselves are very nice (I toured them).

I think finding condos and townhouses to rent may be tough, but hopefully you'll find a reasonable alternative. The lack of new, nice, affordable rentals is one of the biggest turn offs many people have about this region.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:54 PM

Irfox, extremely helpful. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to write all of that. Just what I needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts