U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-16-2007, 03:36 PM

629 posts, read 1,363,753 times
Smile Moving to MA from CA

I'm moving to Bedford in about 3 months from SoCal. Lived in SoCal my whole life. Any suggestions on things to do in the area, I don't know anyone so I'll need to find things to do. Found a great job and apartment, now I just need to know what there is to do in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-16-2007, 04:10 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,887,151 times
What do you like to do? When you say you'd like things to do in "the area," do you mean very locally, like right in town or neighboring towns, or the Boston metro area, or day trips around MA and New England (or any or all of these)?

Unread 08-16-2007, 04:10 PM

4,455 posts, read 1,942,651 times
Oh Hell

there is so much to do
Boston!!!! The Red Sox, MIT , Harvard, theater, museums,
great seafood and restaurants,Cape Cod and the Islands,

If from SoCal- its a different world- autumn is coming- prepare for a change of seasons with the appropriate clothing- Cooler weather will start around mid to late October- good luck and welcome to New England.

Unread 08-16-2007, 06:47 PM

5,852 posts, read 1,336,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTouch View Post
I'm moving to Bedford in about 3 months from SoCal. Lived in SoCal my whole life. Any suggestions on things to do in the area, I don't know anyone so I'll need to find things to do. Found a great job and apartment, now I just need to know what there is to do in the area.
You are so lucky! You're going to love it in Ma. I am assuming you have already had a visit and have seen the Bedford/Lexington area? If not, great Italian restaurant in your area off Great Rd. where Whole Foods is. Great little sandwich shop on same street near the Best Western Hotel. Video rental nearby. Good restaurants next door in Lexington...Vinny T's, Not Your Average Joe's, a great Indian and Chinese place along with Rancatores ice cream. Soooooo much to see and do. Take your time, enjoy the view, embrace the difference between So. Ca. and Ma. Let me know what you find!

Unread 08-16-2007, 08:51 PM

9,654 posts, read 12,124,646 times
I strongly suggest looking up meetup.com groups for the area. Any kind of interest, lots of meetings in Boston, suburbs, and southern New Hampshire. A friend of mine started a childfree meetup group and it meets every couple of weeks for all sorts of activities- dining out, karaoke, bowling, music, hikes, brunch. Last week was a cookout at my friends' home in New Hampshire, and about 25 people attended. There are couples and singles, and most people feel "stranded" in the family-oriented suburbs.
Meetup.com has listings for all areas. I think finding some groups of similar interests (atheists, anyone?) would be a great way to break into suburban life.

Unread 08-16-2007, 11:25 PM

830 posts, read 283,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTouch View Post
I strongly suggest you stay in SoCA. If you hated it in SoCA, then you'll love it here. If you loved it there, you'll hate it here. The two couldn't be any more opposite.

Unread 08-17-2007, 11:05 AM

5,852 posts, read 1,336,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
I strongly suggest you stay in SoCA. If you hated it in SoCA, then you'll love it here. If you loved it there, you'll hate it here. The two couldn't be any more opposite.
I must disagree with you FA. Because NE is so different from California is the perfect reason to love it. I liked California when I moved to Ma. having lived there my entire life, but moving to Ma. made me realize how much I needed a change and I embraced it.

Unread 08-17-2007, 11:45 AM

830 posts, read 283,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
I must disagree with you FA. Because NE is so different from California is the perfect reason to love it. I liked California when I moved to Ma. having lived there my entire life, but moving to Ma. made me realize how much I needed a change and I embraced it.
Good to know that. I will embrace the area I move to when I leave MA. How long have you lived in MA.? If it's long enough to know you like it here than I am happy for you. If it weren't for the cold 6 months of crappy weather and the too fast pace of life here, I wouldn't hate it so much.

Unread 08-17-2007, 01:14 PM

629 posts, read 1,363,753 times
Thank you so much for the suggestions, I visited the Lexington/Boston area last year about 5 times, the last being in December. I love CA but I hate the traffic and the commute, watched the area change from cattle and orange groves to overcrowding housing, highways and way to much traffic. I will be working with MIT/LL in Lexington and will live in Bedford. The only thing I do here is go diving, which I enjoy but don't have the time, so not being able to dive in MA won't make any difference for me. I need a change, but I know the price of the change, specifically the weather. I know I can always come back to CA if things don't work out in MA. I figure why not take a chance and make a change. The worst that could happen is I hate it and I work to come back to CA, the best is that I love it in MA. I'm pretty much a laid back person, having raised my sons and them being out on taking care of themselves now. It's time for me to fly and take that chance. Thank you for your suggestions and I do look forward to the move and the change of scenery.

Unread 08-17-2007, 02:01 PM

9,654 posts, read 12,124,646 times
I hate the traffic and the commute, watched the area change from cattle and orange groves to overcrowding housing, highways and way to much traffic.

I don't recall if you said why you are living in Bedford (besides proximity to Lexington) but if you wanted a more rural feel, with a managable commute, consider NW of Lexington, out Rt. 2. Littleton, Harvard, Bolton, apple orchards, some farms and horse stables. Of course, it's not exactly Social Central for a newcomer or person without kids in the schools, and Bedford/Lexington is a lot closer to town and more diverse in types of people nearby. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts