U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 03:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,058 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for unusual or strange places, landmarks, etc. I'd prefer them to be between Worcester & Springfield.

Places that would probably be found on sites like "Roadside Attractions" or in the book Weird Massachusetts. I've already got "turtle boy" from Worcester, Dr. Seuss museum in Springfield, the giant chair in Gardner.

I know there are many, many more things out there that I just can't seem to think of. Any help would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 07:06 AM

1,392 posts, read 4,505,520 times
Do you know the story of Lucy Keyes?

That's an interesting one. We rented the movie via Netflix and have checked it out a couple of times at our local library. My 8 year old is fascinated by the story/movie/etc.

We were on one of our Sunday afternoon drives in the Princeton area so I Googled "Lucy Keyes House" and found this picture:

Lucy keyes house image by kupojod on Photobucket

We found the house. It's right on a main road, but I am not sure if that's really it. It appears to be owned by the state now and used for storage or something.

My daughter first learned of Lucy Keyes in the book "Weird Massachusetts".

Old 09-09-2011, 07:12 AM

Another place from "Weird Massachusetts" we've been to is "Spider Gates". Its a Quaker cemetery still used by the Society of Friends in Worcester. There is a past President of WPI buried there and there's a group there that visits the cemetery at night in hooded robes. The cemetery was in the old village of "Manville" in Leicester. It's not marked so it is a bit hard to find.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:39 AM

7,617 posts, read 11,457,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
Another place from "Weird Massachusetts" we've been to is "Spider Gates". Its a Quaker cemetery still used by the Society of Friends in Worcester. There is a past President of WPI buried there and there's a group there that visits the cemetery at night in hooded robes. The cemetery was in the old village of "Manville" in Leicester. It's not marked so it is a bit hard to find.
I think Spider Gates is locked now, because of all the ghost hunters.

Better check before you go.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:57 AM

Check where? How do you lock up a cemetery?

Old 09-09-2011, 10:43 AM

2,954 posts, read 11,039,555 times
There's the Dana Common. In the late 1930's the Commonwealth flat-out eliminated four towns in west-central Mass. to create the Quabbin Reservoir. One of them was Dana, and you can still see the foundations of the downtown buildings. You can park near Gate 40 to the reservoir land, which I believe is in Petersham. In any event it's near the eastern side of the reservoir.

From the gate you walk along a largely paved road a bit under 2 miles and you come to the site of Dana Common, with building foundations clearly visible. Some are marked, and there's a monument to the town's former existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts