U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-12-2011, 06:13 PM

243 posts, read 286,174 times
Default Living near water in Mass.

We are currently looking at homes in the western Boston suburbs (moving from MD) and have noticed many of the ones we like are near some type of water. Are the mosquitos/bugs bad during the warmer months if you live near a body of water? Here in MD, mosquitos are around everywhere, but are definitely worse and harder to fend off if you live near water. I'd love a house that is near or on a lake, but don't want to be bitten alive if I want to sit out on the porch in the evening!

Also, when Irene or other hurricanes have come up the coast (or another large rain event has happened) is flooding a huge issue?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:59 AM

64 posts, read 85,717 times
Not gonna lie, mosquitoes can be bad, as are other bugs. We're the endemic area for Lyme disease (tick-borne), and there have been cases of West Nile and even EEE (first one documented this year). However, it's like... 2 months out of the year that it's warm here, and you can use repellant. I think it's worth it if you want a beautiful house on a lake.

As far as Irene, I don't think flooding was as much of a problem as were electrical issues, at least this time around. There have been floods, though, especially when we've had rains or ice storms. You should keep your basement-stored items on at least 1-2 inch elevation from the floor.

Welcome to New England!! hahaha!

Old 09-13-2011, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the welcome LOL. And, um, dare I ask what EEE is?? We've had Nile Virus here and Lyme disease so that doesn't scare me too much :-)

Old 09-13-2011, 06:46 PM

64 posts, read 85,717 times
Eastern Equine Encephalitis. But for your own sake, do NOT google it, or you'll never go outside again. it's exceedingly rare.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:56 AM

10,054 posts, read 13,854,109 times
I think towns with lakes (like Littleton, Westford, Groton) might well have a generally high water table. I know Littleton does. Towns with lakes are often rebuilt former summer-colony areas, so some of the older cottages or lots where there were cottages might be too low for comfort (or dry basements). Events like the rains from Irene are more likely to cause floods along rivers/creeks, and a lot of smaller towns that were mill towns are built around the waterway (for the former mills) so there is a flood issue there. The river area of Billerica floods easily, etc.
There might be more mosquitos where there are wetlands. I have a wetlands at the foot of my property, and the state used to come by and spray. For some reason, since I built my new house on the footprint of the former cottage, I've had almost no mosquitos, and used to have clouds of them.
Isn't Lyme a tick disease? (I loathe all of those parasites...)

Old 09-15-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheina Maydela View Post
Eastern Equine Encephalitis. But for your own sake, do NOT google it, or you'll never go outside again. it's exceedingly rare.

Too late, Sheina Maydela, I googled it...I may have to have the grocery store deliver my groceries from now on

Old 09-15-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think towns with lakes (like Littleton, Westford, Groton) might well have a generally high water table. I know Littleton does. Towns with lakes are often rebuilt former summer-colony areas, so some of the older cottages or lots where there were cottages might be too low for comfort (or dry basements). Events like the rains from Irene are more likely to cause floods along rivers/creeks, and a lot of smaller towns that were mill towns are built around the waterway (for the former mills) so there is a flood issue there. The river area of Billerica floods easily, etc.
There might be more mosquitos where there are wetlands. I have a wetlands at the foot of my property, and the state used to come by and spray. For some reason, since I built my new house on the footprint of the former cottage, I've had almost no mosquitos, and used to have clouds of them.
Isn't Lyme a tick disease? (I loathe all of those parasites...)
Lyme is tick and it started in Lyme, CT I believe (or was diagnosed as such in that town). Nasty if you don't get it taken care of :-/

Thanks for the info. We are currently looking at Hopkinton, Westborough, Walpole and I just started doing some research on Burlington...I have a whole other thread I began awhile ago about the best places to move. If you have any ideas, feel free to comment (I guess to post it in the appropriate place you can click on my name and see what I have posted!?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts