Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:13 PM

234 posts, read 626,306 times

Advertisements

I'm not from Weymouth originally and will not defend it to the death, I'm not completely in love with the town. I'm just saying that it's not as bad as people make it out to be. The schools in Hingham aren't "decent" they're excellent, and if the schools in Hingham are excellent then the schools in Weymouth can certainly be considered decent. Also, I use the beaches in this area frequently, we own kayaks, etc. Weymouth has several beaches (Lane Beach, Wessagusset Beach, and another small one in between) and Webb State Park, which is free and a beautiful place to walk around- have you been there? My kids love to hang out on the water there wading and throwing rocks. Hingham has their "bathing beach" which is so small, really muddy at low tide and abuts the parking lot directly. Other than that there is World's End (which you have to pay for, we were members this pat year) or private land- unless I'm missing something. You can see Hingham's harbor from the main road, Weymouth's beaches are removed from 3A, which is a good thing.

Honestly, if we don't live here- probably going to move eventually, I don't know where we would live because I like the south shore, but I feel like there is nothing in between a town like Weymouth and a town like Hingham. I wouldn't move to Hingham, just wouldn't. I want some middle ground, but it is nowhere to be found along the coast here. I like Cohasset, but it's too far and expensive for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 01:45 PM

779 posts, read 868,847 times
I have to agree that based on the criteria (good schools, < 1 hour to south station, coastal, safe), Hingham is the first town that comes to mind. I've lived in both Weymouth and Hingham and liked them both, but really when taking schools into consideration, it significantly tips the scales. The only issue I can foresee is the budget of $500K for a 4BR home. I think it's do-able, but I do think the house would need some updates when sticking to the budget.

I agree with ProudMonkey that an imaginary town between Weymouth and Hingham would be nice. Scituate is the perfect amount of laid-back and coastal, but the commute is just a dealbreaker. Cohasset is also great--expensive, but more laid-back than Hingham, but also far from everything. We learned very quickly when house hunting (and after renting ALL OVER the south shore) that no town is "perfect".

Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 PM

157 posts, read 568,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudestmonkey View Post
...I like the south shore, but I feel like there is nothing in between a town like Weymouth and a town like Hingham. I wouldn't move to Hingham, just wouldn't. I want some middle ground, but it is nowhere to be found along the coast here. I like Cohasset, but it's too far and expensive for me.
100% agree on all points. The only reason I keep Hingham on our short list is because I think it works well for my wife (commute wise), but still allows me to be on the south shore where I want to be. If money were no object, and therefore commute less important because hey, this would mean I was rich and dont' need to work...! Then Cohasset would be my choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I agree with ProudMonkey that an imaginary town between Weymouth and Hingham would be nice. Scituate is the perfect amount of laid-back and coastal, but the commute is just a dealbreaker. Cohasset is also great--expensive, but more laid-back than Hingham, but also far from everything. We learned very quickly when house hunting (and after renting ALL OVER the south shore) that no town is "perfect".
Seriously, I'd totally move to Weymingasset or Scimouth!

Its seeming more likely that we'll end up in Norwell and I'll just steal my mom's Scituate beach sticker.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxey View Post
Seriously, I'd totally move to Weymingasset or Scimouth!

Its seeming more likely that we'll end up in Norwell and I'll just steal my mom's Scituate beach sticker.
I'm with you, let's start our own town. My in laws are in Norwell and we also have family that lives within walking distance to the beach in Scituate, so we just park there I think your plan sounds good.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 AM

779 posts, read 868,847 times
Haha, so funny since we ended up buying in Norwell as well (after renting houses in Scituate, Weymouth and Hingham). I do miss the "coastal" town feeling--like I said, no town is perfect--but the large lots and privacy is nice. I guess if I had an unlimited budget, I could get that oceanfront property with privacy as well. But then I'd probably turn into a snob. I guess you can't win!

Sign me up for living in Weymingasset or Scimouth!

Old 09-22-2011, 03:16 PM

244 posts, read 570,808 times
Re: Montessori. I teach private preschool, my SIL is a Montessori teacher, so I have a bit of experience on both ends.

Hearing the stories about my SIL trying to search for a school for her three children clued me into the fact that no 2 Montessori schools are alike, even though the ideology is the same, the teachers can differ on how they teach or react to the student in the class.
Education seems like the most important thing for you and your sons; if I were you, I'd research the Montessori schools in the area that you'd like to live. Based upon my limited knowledge, I know it costs upwards of $6K in MD to send one child to a Mont. school, so maybe you could do an internet search of the best ones near Boston, find an online forum to get some questions answered or call the school themselves. Also, from what I heard from my SIL, there can be a waiting list to get in, so I would make sure if you move to Town A you can get your son into the school you want...if not, make sure there is a public school that you feel positive about. If you want, I can give you some questions, via DM, to ask any potential private preschool (non Montessori) as there are numerous programs out there a school can choose to follow. We use the High Scope Method with a bit of Montessori mixed in :-)

Old 09-23-2011, 12:43 PM

I know the ins and outs of the Montessori schools around here and I can tell you from the get-go that it is at least $8,000 a year to send a child full time to a M school- that's in a 3-6 year old classroom. Then it is at least $9,000 to send an elementary aged child. This is in the most affordable school in the area. Then there's a school on the upper end like the Inly School which is almost $18,000 for full day kindergarten and almost $19,000 for lower elementary and goes up to almost $25,000 for middle.

Yes, schools vary very much as they are all independent. The OP had his son in a M school so maybe he knows this? But Montessori is not a trademark or anything, any school can say they are Montessori. One of the markers of knowing you are picking a decent schools is if they belong to an association like AMI or AMS. Beyond that you have to go with your gut, but I PMed him a list of schools that I wouldn't hesitate to send my children to. Once I had them in there it could be a different story, but they aren't schools that I would avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts