Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 02:44 PM

203 posts, read 496,250 times

Advertisements

Can someone who lives in Plymouth tell me something about Plymouth?

I know...that's quite a general question. But it looks like a big place and having trouble wrapping my arms around what kind of town it is.

So just tell me anything. Good areas? Bad areas to avoid? Schools (I've looked at the MA school site and greatschools.org...but would love to hear something from a parent with personal experience.)

Appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 09:14 PM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
It's a huge town of about 100 sq. miles. Most of it is nice, although I've heard that a small section of N. Plymouth is a little rough. The dowtown/harbor/waterfront is really nice with plenty of restaurants and other attractions. The rest of the town is fairly spread out with several villages scattered here and there. Some areas will require lots of driving for everything. Myles Standish State Park(2nd largest in state) partially lies within town. It has lakes, campgrounds, miles and miles of hiking trails as well as dirt roads for off-roading. Along the coast there are several nice beaches such as White Horse. I guess due to its large size Plymouth contains some of everything from its quaint downtown to strip-mall shopping, semi-urban, suburban and rural. Everything from apartments to McMansions, golf courses, beaches, forests, historic sites, you name it.

I don't know much about the schools but I've heard they're mediocre. And do to fast growth and the fact that it's so spread out, the services have had a strain put on them. I believe the tax rate is high too. Those would be the downsides.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 AM

Sounds like a nice place to visit but maybe not the top pick for a family to live?

Old 10-11-2011, 09:27 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,549 times
Have friends in West Plymouth that are happy. Others whose kids go to Plymouth North (one Mom is a teacher) who have good things to say about the community and schools. Maybe not a top pick but if budget is a concern I think it is a good pick. You can get a nice house in a decent area for less than 300K which is not the case in the the "top pick" towns. Pembroke might be worth looking into if you want to be off of route 3.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:14 PM

79 posts, read 214,657 times
My family lived in Plymouth for 11 years. Whether you are renting or purchasing, you should look in SOUTH PLYMOUTH. South Plymouth High, South Middle School and South Elementary are wonderful! Anywhere south of exit 5, preferably on the "forest" side (Myles Standish State Forest). Pine Hills, Pond of Plymouth and the area off of Long Pond/Halfway Pond Rd is nice. We lived on Justine Rd and it was like "Leave it Beaver" world...my family loved it, a wonderful place to raise a family and very safe. If you have any specific questions, please email me, I would be more than happy to help. I am unfortuneately living in Orlando now because of my hsbands work, but would LOVE to be back in South Plymouth!

Good Luck
Lisa

Old 10-12-2011, 11:58 AM

I appreciate the info.

I'll be digging for more if this opportunity comes through.

And Lisa, I'll email you once I know more on my end :-)

Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts