Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 05:21 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Most of the people in this country don't live close to the ocean and most don't miss it. It's all in what you're used to.

I'd choose Northampton or Deerfield for WMass because it's home and because I like rural that still has culture, mountains, green valleys.

In EMass I'd choose Rockport of Gloucester.
Harvestfest today? I'm only 15 minutes away.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Ummm.....
Most of the people in this country DO live close to the ocean:

What percentage of the American population lives near the coast?

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration: "In the United States, coastal counties constitute only 17 percent of the total land area (not including Alaska), but account for 53 percent of the total population."

And not that household income is the only factor, (things like rural settings, etc can be important), but here is the distribution:
http://www.massbenchmarks.org/stated...a/median99.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 04:25 PM

521 posts, read 1,151,093 times
Default Deerfield sounds wonderful... Lee is a nice town too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I would say probably Northampton or the immediate area. Amherst is just too crowded with college kids, it's overrun.

If I could live anywhere it would actually be Deerfield because of its beauty and because of Old Deerfield where I could indulge my interest in local history. One great thing about this area is that there is so much to do and you don't have to journey into a big city to do it! It has big city stuff but it's still more or less in the country.

I LOVE Northampton.. Our kinfolk lived there for years. Really nice town!
Amherst is a wonderful town too, but if you don't like college kids, you wouldn't like it! LOL

It's gorgeous there, though in my opinion, and you're near so many social events.. I love the valley there.. Near Holyoke, and all, it's a great place to live, imho.
HOW are the people there? Still friendly? Still laid back?

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-15-2011 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 11-07-2011, 11:55 PM

Default although I like the mountains, I love the coastal areas myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Ummm.....

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration: "In the United States, coastal counties constitute only 17 percent of the total land area (not including Alaska), but account for 53 percent of the total population."

And not that household income is the only factor, (things like rural settings, etc can be important), but here is the distribution:
http://www.massbenchmarks.org/stated...a/median99.pdf

And Mass has some gorgeous areas on the coast too. Cape Cod, who doesn't like that area? Maine has some GREAT coastal areas too.
Camden Maine, Bar Harbor, the list goes on & on. And if you go down the east coast, the areas around North Carolina coast are very popular too, even if they've been ravaged by bad hurricanes, the home owners still want to repair the damage done to their houses and move back into the same exact spot in many cases!

However, there's nothing wrong with the mountains either. Especially if you like hills and scenic views, which I"M a fan of

Which parts of western Mass do you like best and find most affordable?
I know the Berkshires are pretty. How's the fall foliage now up there? Still some leaves on the trees? I know the recent snowstorm took down a lot of leaves, not to mention trees, but I'd like to go visit that area before heavy snowfall arrives.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:18 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Pittsfield is a fine place with the foliage, hills, two lakes in town ...... I was born there and have lived there several times. It used to have affordable housing, but not so much anymore - it's no Cape Cod or Salem in prices, but it's still too much now for a somewhat dumpy-looking city in a near-rural area (compared to prices in similar cities around the country.) The satellite villages are even more expensive.

Last edited by Woof; 11-08-2011 at 06:42 AM..

Old 11-12-2011, 06:50 AM

543 posts, read 702,926 times
Monroe Bridge is by far the best place to live in Ma. As long as you don't need a job, groceries or sunshine!!!

Old 11-12-2011, 08:15 AM

Newton Mass is a nice town

Old 11-12-2011, 08:20 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Hingham, MA

Old 11-12-2011, 04:50 PM

422 posts, read 1,475,570 times
if you are looking for quaint sleepy small towns by the water...marion and mattapoisett are great...but relatively more expensive. when you are talking BEST PLACE to live...you might wanna qualify what you meant?

Old 11-12-2011, 06:39 PM

387 posts, read 916,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Ummm.....

By this definition, Worcester is a coastal town.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:58 PM

27 posts, read 62,675 times
Brockton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts