Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 19,931 times

Advertisements

Can anyone share anything about Marion with me? My daughter and her two children are moving there on the 15th of this month from Michigan. What I am really looking for is reassurance. Nice place, no crime, good people, etc. She has a job already and is moving for the job.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 12:48 PM

439 posts, read 721,417 times
Marion Mass. is a small New England seaside town located roughly between the Cape Cod canal (at Buzzards Bay)and New Bedford. Located on Buzzards Bay- a marine climate, mild winters and summers. Providence is about 40 miles to the west. Boston is about 55 miles to the north.

Population 5250- local schools located in Wareham and Mattapoisett. Crime for this small area would be low-ethnic make up varied, Portugeuse, Italian, some old Yankees, Latino, Irish.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:39 PM

We are all from Michigan - and avid snowmobilers - what would you Massachusetters consider a 'mild' winter?
I can just picture the kids with ice dripping from their collars while out waiting for the school bus in the morning. Wouldn't it blow nastily off the ocean/bay?
The grandson is crazy about fishing - I really think that he was born with rod and reel in hand......................is there a chance that the Buzzards Bay / Marion area would allow shore fishing - or would there be freshwater streams nearby?
Also - they are asking about a remote control car place - a place that like-minded enthusiats (sp?) gather and race their cars.
thank you for any input.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:31 PM

If migrating from Michigan- Marion Mass. would not really be suited for snow sports of any kind for a long of length of time- the climate is relatively mild for its north latitude. With Marion located On the sea, you will see winters that are not really snowy or cold compared to MI- snowfall is scant most of the time, and if it falls lasts a short amount of time. 'Nor easters' off the New England coast in Marion turn to rain, or freezing rain.

Snow sports in New England are really more suited for New Hampshire (away from the Atlantic coast) Western Mass. (the Berskhire mountains),Vermont, and Maine ( mostly away from the coast). And extreme northwestern CT. The Atlantic ocean to the south and east of New England really has an impact on the climate here. Making winters far milder then many expect- especially near the coast, and summers less hot near the ocean. Car racing? - I am in Connecticut- we have NASCAR in Waterford on the Connecticut shore near New London.

Last edited by Dragondog; 09-09-2006 at 12:58 PM..

Old 09-10-2006, 06:18 AM

Fishing from the shore in southeastern Mass. Is usually not a problem- most land and beach is publuc owned. As far as remote control car gamers- not sure, but I would assume enthusiasts can be found.

Again regarding climate;
'Mild Maritime climate' with cool to warm summers, and cold wet winters. In summer temperatures are ideal for outdoor recreation, Both sub zero days and temperatures above 90 are rare. The nearby proximity of the gulf stream will give milder winters and cooler summers then inland areas of southern New England. During winter storms- regions inland and further to the north and west will recieve snow, while southeastern Mass. will have rain, sleet or freezing rain. Additionally- at times (every 15-20 years) an errant hurricane or tropical storm will make an unwelcome visit to south eastern New England

Last edited by Dragondog; 09-10-2006 at 06:29 AM..

Old 09-10-2006, 11:25 AM

Dragondog-
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. It sounds like Marion's winters are much milder that what we have here. The bay that we live on is known for ice racing in the winters - snowmobiles, motorcycles and we even have the trucks and trailers on the ice from mid-january on. So you can imagine how cold it gets here. The family already has a place to move to on Buzzard's Bay. I guess it is about an 11 hour drive from here.

Old 09-10-2006, 03:04 PM

skjeeper

good luck here- New England has a rep for cold and snow- but in reality that is confined to Maine, Vermont and north western Mass. Marion will seem 'subtropical' to you. I see you love winter sports- you are 2-3 hours away to inland New Hampshire, Inland Maine, central western Mass. and southern Vermont for downhill ski, snow mobiling, cross country ski and more.

The seafood is great in south eastern Mass. Newport is close as is Cape Cod- Boston and Providence are wonderful-there is so much closeby, with golden beach life on the ocean in the summer. 11 hours is a drive from the Great lake state- Welcome to New England- a great place to live!

Last edited by Dragondog; 09-10-2006 at 03:45 PM..

Old 09-23-2006, 07:50 AM

13 posts, read 122,460 times
Default marion

Marion is a beautiful small town right on the water. It has a short traditional Main Steet, walkable streets, library and arts. The town is on a peninsula, so the main highway passes by it, keeping the town area quiet. There are parks, a town wharf, and a swimming beach on the water. The town is also the location of Tabor Academy, a private school that uses its seaside location in its recreation programs (sailing). The bay is protected and would be perfect for a boy to go fishing in his small boat.

I think Marion is one of the most desirable towns on the New England coast, and I am somewhat surprised by the lukewarm responses you received. I would love to live in Marion, but the housing costs are high.

Last edited by snapperblue; 09-23-2006 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: error in spelling

Old 11-19-2006, 05:39 AM

2 posts, read 11,574 times
If you're still checking in to this thread skjeeper, I live one town over. I'm in the village of Buzzards Bay, which is on the mainland side of the Cape Cod canal, and a part of the town of Bourne. There is a R.C. Car shop in the town of Falmouth, on Rt. 28. Fishing is plentiful and is a big attraction on the canal in the spring through fall seasons. Huge striped bass can be caught off the shores of the canal along with the ever popular bluefish (which put up a great fight). There are plenty of local ponds and lakes (some of which are stocked artificially, most are natural) for fresh water fishing. The ponds and lakes have bass, trout, perch, and pickerel. Saltwater fishing is free, but over the age of thirteen you'll need to go and get a permit for fresh water fishing. Bait and tackle shops are plentiful and have literature updated yearly by the fish and game department available for free on hand (legal catch sizes, tide tables, etc.)
Winters lately have been cold but tolerable. Near the cape they're milder and with less snow than the inland areas. We average a white christmas every ten years or so, most of our snow happens after January begins along the coast, and can continue into April at times (though rarely that late in the season). The town of Wareham has it's problems, but they're mostly relegated to acquaintance on acquaintance crime. Not much in the way of real city type crime in these areas. No mugging, car jacking, or that sort of thing in most areas outside of the cities(the worse areas are fairly obvious and can easily be avoided).

Old 09-05-2007, 07:01 AM

2 posts, read 8,712 times
Hi everyone, my name is Andrea, and I am thinking about moving from Springfield, MA to New Bedford, Ma. I have always wanted to live near the ocean, I find it peaceful and I love the smell of the salt and the way the water feels on my skin, kinda weird I know. Can anyone tell me about the schools and the jobs. I have 2 kids ages 8 & 14, so the high school and middle school would be cool. How long does it take to get to the water like is it 1/2 hour away from all parts of New Bedford? What is the population like? white, Black, poutuguese, asian, french, irish, etc..I have to live in a diverse area coming from the city with all diffrent cultures and lifestyles. Any information would be great. Hope to hear from everyone. All the stuff I have read says New Bedford has the nicest people. Do you all get any snow in winter or at least on christmas day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts