Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:18 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times

Advertisements

Home prices in some MA towns today are actually even higher than the 2006 peak. Meanwhile highly desireable neighborhoods and wealthy suburbs by the lake in Chicago are all down 30% from peak.

What gives?

Almost every single family home in Massachusetts inside Rt 128 goes for over $400,000, regardless of condition. And many of them still have 1950s kitchens, impractical layouts, uneven floors, and generally need serious work. Insulation is also horrible, with heating costs running over $500 a month in winter. Some of the nicer places (by nice, I mean somewhat worthy of being called an upper middle class home and not a wooden shack) easily go for $800,000 to over a million. Didn't a million dollar home used to mean something like a mansion even in New England?

The median household incomes of these towns clearly do not support these prices. It's like the recession never happened and everyone still believes home prices only go up here.

Buying a home in MA feels a little like a scheme to fund someone else's retirement to Florida.

Wealthy towns around Boston, median single family home price, 2002-2011

Wealthy suburbs of Chicago, median single family home price, 2002-2011

Last edited by Guineas; 12-04-2011 at 01:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 12:28 AM

Housing Demand Weakest in Washington DC, Chicago and Boston

#
U.S. Metropolitan Area Metro Movers Index
1 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV 0.37
2 Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL 0.41
3 Boston-Quincy, MA 0.44
4 Salt Lake City, UT 0.44
5 Louisville-Jefferson County, KY-IN 0.45
6 St. Louis, MO-IL 0.46
7 New Haven-Milford, CT 0.47
8 Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway, AR 0.47
9 Kansas City, MO-KS 0.47

Basically, Boston comes in No. 3 in the top 10 markets where there are lots of people looking elsewhere for new homes and apartments, but not a lot of folks looking in.

Apparently, not everyone wants to move to Boston area.

News Room - Trulia.com - Press Releases
Attached Thumbnails
Housing prices in MA act like the recession never happened-mass.jpg   Housing prices in MA act like the recession never happened-ill.jpg  

Last edited by Guineas; 12-04-2011 at 01:32 AM..

Old 12-04-2011, 12:29 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I don't know if people particularly believe that prices will only go up, but if someone is willing to pay those prices, that is what will be asked.
I live just inside 495, and on the lower end, houses have come down (although there was never an absurd boom/bust to begin with). Dunno about inside 128, guess you really have to pay for that convenience (Waltham, this means you!)
I do remember, when I first starting looking for a house, being boggled by ads that said something like,
"Great starter home, only $250,000!"

Old 12-04-2011, 12:43 AM

It's just that the incomes in Massachusetts aren't really higher than any other metro area. There certainly aren't enough tech and health care jobs to support the entire area's housing prices.

Maybe people are just conditioned more to accept run-down houses for higher prices. Concrete hole in the walls in Moscow and Beijing run for millions too. It's all about expectations I guess.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:54 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Housing Demand Weakest in Washington DC, Chicago and Boston

# U.S. Metropolitan Area Metro Movers Index
1 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV 0.37
2 Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL 0.41
3 Boston-Quincy, MA 0.44
4 Salt Lake City, UT 0.44
5 Louisville-Jefferson County, KY-IN 0.45
6 St. Louis, MO-IL 0.46
7 New Haven-Milford, CT 0.47
8 Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway, AR 0.47
9 Kansas City, MO-KS 0.47

Basically, Boston comes in No. 3 in the top 10 markets where there are lots of people looking elsewhere for new homes and apartments, but not a lot of folks looking in.

Apparently, not everyone wants to move to Boston area.

News Room - Trulia.com - Press Releases
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"Apparently, not everyone wants to move to Boston area. "

OR, they can't afford to do so. There is so many technology, medical and financial companies here, that housing prices stay high. A two-income high-tech couple can live here with relative ease (and I know many hundreds of them).

Old 12-04-2011, 07:09 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I don't know if people particularly believe that prices will only go up, but if someone is willing to pay those prices, that is what will be asked.
I live just inside 495, and on the lower end, houses have come down (although there was never an absurd boom/bust to begin with). Dunno about inside 128, guess you really have to pay for that convenience (Waltham, this means you!)
I do remember, when I first starting looking for a house, being boggled by ads that said something like,
"Great starter home, only $250,000!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought my first starter home on the North Shore in 1990 (I was single then). It was only half-built (so I finished it myself), and at that time real estate in this area had plummeted. Banks were afraid to give mortgages because the housing prices were falling so rapidly.

$250K for a starter home is a bargain (depending on town and condition).
I paid that 21 years ago for an uncompleted house. (though I made a fortune when I sold it).

Old 12-04-2011, 05:43 PM

940 posts, read 1,936,070 times
I think because the recession didn't affect Boston economically as hard as most other areas in the US, people are moving here for jobs, which they cannot find in other states, therefore demand is keeping up with the supply. The conditions of the houses has to do with most of them being older, and the fact that the area has been historically developed earlier, than most other states, limiting the number of new construction.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:10 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
I think because the recession didn't affect Boston economically as hard as most other areas in the US, people are moving here for jobs, which they cannot find in other states, therefore demand is keeping up with the supply. The conditions of the houses has to do with most of them being older, and the fact that the area has been historically developed earlier, than most other states, limiting the number of new construction.
Here's your answer. The unemployment rate in the Boston metro area currently stands at 6.6% (the lowest rate in the top 15 largest metro areas after Washington DC). The unemployment rate in the Chicago metro area is 9.6%.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:44 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Here's your answer. The unemployment rate in the Boston metro area currently stands at 6.6% (the lowest rate in the top 15 largest metro areas after Washington DC). The unemployment rate in the Chicago metro area is 9.6%.
That depends as what is the metro. Lawrence isn't that far from Boston and the rate is 15.5%

Workforce Development
New Bedford is at 12.2%
Fall river 12%
Brockton 9.3%
Providencetown 13.5%
Fitchburg 10.4%
Springfield 11%

Employment isn't specifically tied to housing prices as there's a large rental market in boston. Students do not always work. International students by law have to be full time and therefore might be less likely to work. There's plenty of rental properties that always have students in them nearly year round. Much of the cape is also rentals as the population booms in the summer and fades in the winter.

Prop 2 1/2 also artificially raised what people think their homes are worth. If you cannot raise the rate then you raise the assessment. So what the town says a house is worth really isn't the market rate. More importantly what some sites show is asking prices not actually selling prices. Zillow has a bad reputation because they never said specifically how they reach their numbers. If zillow sold stock instead of giving numbers in housing they would be facing jail time from the SEC by now.
Why Zillow Sucks - YouTube

Old 12-04-2011, 06:57 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
There certainly aren't enough tech and health care jobs to support the entire area's housing prices.
On the contrary, there are plenty of well-paying tech and health care jobs and jobs in many other fields, and probably not enough houses, or dwellings, let's say, to meet the demand, because the regulatory environment and the hysterical opposition to multiple-family dwellings in almost any location limits construction of new housing. It's probably as good an example as you'll find of the old supply-demand rule.

There aren't, by the way, plenty of jobs available to people without lots of specialized skills, but if you're in hi-tech and many other high-education, high-skill fields, there's no shortage of jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts