U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:58 PM

574 posts, read 965,035 times

Advertisements

Just a head's up for those of you on the West Coast planning a move to the East, particularly New England....be prepared to get the proper medications to prevent tick bites which carry Lyme's Disease. Especially if you have dogs you will need to get something like Frontline Plus for the correct weight of your dog and put it on his back once a month, forever. Heart worm med's are just as important but according to my vet, you can lay off during the winter. People can get ticks as well and it is very unpleasant so read up on how to prevent this from happening according to what areas you are moving to and how outdoorsy you are. You too can get Lyme's disease from a tick bite. These are not things you have to worry about on the West Coast, just fleas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 10:11 PM

148 posts, read 485,668 times
You have to be a tick detective when living here in the NE! My dogs always bring ticks in the house, luckily they have short white hair! Nevertheless, you cannot get lazy and MUST always check during the high season. If a tick attaches to you, you have 24-48 hours to get it off and seek treatment. Docycilin kills Lyme before it incubates and you get fever symptoms, then later joint and neurological issues may arise. (long term)

Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 PM

1,936 posts, read 3,188,261 times
Make sure not to let your dog walk in the tall grass in the woods. I never had a problem when walking on the trails with my dog, but one time she went through the tall grass and we found several ticks on her. She ended up getting lyme disease, which came back twice. Lyme disease never really goes away, it can come back at any time.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:26 PM

9,411 posts, read 18,847,828 times
This past summer was particularly brutal with ticks. They were everywhere in my area (Lexington/Lincoln/Bedford), even in short grass my dog would get a tick or two each time. Every time we brought her in we had to search her for ticks. If you have pets, I would advise against letting them out to roam. We once had a cat that was an indoor/outdoor cat and would routinely come home with ticks. Had to stop letting him out.

Not sure about anyone else, but spiders were out in full force this spring/summer as well. I imagine they eat their fair share of ticks, so I can only imagine how much worse the tick problem would be without them.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:59 AM

15,828 posts, read 28,174,013 times
I use Frontline almost all year long. Can lay off maybe December-March, but then they start popping up again.
One of my old dogs had Lyme Disease when rescued two years ago, was treated, and got the vaccine and has always had his Frontline from me. A few weeks ago, he had an acute and sudden collapse that the vet said was Lyme. She wasn't sure if he got a new case or maybe the old one kicked up (if that can happen). I did see one dead tick on his muzzle a few weeks before, not attached, and he never gets ticks- fur is so thick and he rarely goes in the grass.
Walking in the woods, you can see the little bas**ds jumping off leaves onto your dogs. I hate them.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:28 PM

1,945 posts, read 4,691,255 times
Another tickborne illness is Babesisos. A neighbor contracted it after a tick bite. Scary stuff.

Babesiosis, a tick-borne disease, a growing concern this summer

Unfortunately pesticides like Advantix and Frontline won't keep ticks out of your house. They will not attach to your dog or cat but your pet can carry them in. Along with trying to stay out of high grassy areas, keep your pets out of leaf litter if you live in an area surrounded by deciduous vegetation. Small animals that run through areas where deer congregate carry the deer ticks to these areas.

Dealing with Deer Ticks (http://webpages.charter.net/balplanman/Interests/DeerTick.html - broken link)

Old 12-31-2011, 12:46 PM
miu

17,616 posts, read 36,576,733 times
I'm lucky enough to have a yard large enough to run my dogs around in. And only one dog got a tick last year and it was not one of those tiny deer ticks. About three years ago, my boyfriend took one of my labs out to Weston for a hike in the woods and the dog ended up with a lot of deer ticks on him. It took me two days to find and remove all of them. I'm never allowing that to happen again. Ick.

BTW I live in Newton.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:25 PM

399 posts, read 789,200 times
This was an awful year for ticks. I have 2 dogs, one light brown where they are easy to spot, and one black dog that there's no chance to find them until they become bigger. Both dogs have had Lyme disease and were treated for it. I live in partial woods and thought that they would subside in the winter but that does not seem to be the case. I want to have an exterminator come in and spray the yard. I don't know if that will help or not but this year they seem to be everywhere.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:22 PM

41,202 posts, read 51,004,455 times
Sorry for you guys. What I do not understand is why some of the NE has so many ticks and others have none. We lived in NE Ohio for 20 years and our dogs roamed freely on our land and never had a tick, ever. I would think that ticks would die in the cold of winter. Go figure.
If you are treating for fleas anyway, the tick medicine is included in it.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:36 PM

1,945 posts, read 4,691,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
This was an awful year for ticks. I have 2 dogs, one light brown where they are easy to spot, and one black dog that there's no chance to find them until they become bigger. Both dogs have had Lyme disease and were treated for it. I live in partial woods and thought that they would subside in the winter but that does not seem to be the case. I want to have an exterminator come in and spray the yard. I don't know if that will help or not but this year they seem to be everywhere.
We have our yard sprayed and it works wonders. We love gardening and being in the yard so it is worth our while. The spray also takes care of most mosquitoes. Unfortunately? we live in an area that is wooded to the beach where we walk our dog daily. It is a haven for deer thus our problem with deer ticks. We just try to be vigilant about checking ourselves and the dogs after each walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts