Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:47 PM

574 posts, read 1,064,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Yep, This LL sounds unstable. Move asap.
1. Sounds like a gambler trying to hide his losses from his wife. 2. So illegal what he is doing. I would contact your local housing authority and tell them what is going on plus I would send a registered letter telling him of your rights as a tenant and that harassing you for money before rent is due is illegal and you want it stopped or you will have to take legal action which means he would have to spend money and go to court. 3. By law he has to tell you where your deposit is being held, the name of the institution, the account number and within fourteen days, I think, of moving out, you are due your deposit plus interest for the year minus any repairs which has to have documentation of each expenditure or you are due three times your security deposit interest. In Massachusetts there are strict laws to protect the tenants rights! NEVER LOAN A LANDLORD MONEY!!!!!! If you do not speak up for yourself you will continue to get harassed, period. Your landlord really pisses me off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 09:48 AM

8 posts, read 26,264 times
Thank you all very much for your support. It is Sunday morning, rent is due Wednesday, and guess who just called to ask for early rent? 11:15 am Sunday. Do i have to call him back? At this point, im completely irritated with his requests. I am hoping to move by April 1st, so in the interest of keeping the peace, I have not written a letter asking him to stop this. He makes me nervous, and I just want to live in peace until I can leave. So I guess my question is, do I have to return my landlord's call? What is the worst he can do to me?

Old 01-29-2012, 10:13 AM

483 posts, read 1,221,427 times
He can't do anything. Don't call him back.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:15 PM

He's called a total of three times so far, it is now 3pm Sunday. He says he is in a 'crisis' and needs cash (not a check) today for a prescription for his daughter. So now he's manipulating me, bc if it is indeed a crisis for his daughter, I feel bad, even though I know this is not my problem. However, if he made that up, he's a despicable rotten slumlord. And interestingly, he still doesn't want his wife to know, as he asked me to o.ly call his cell phone, and not the house. The bottom line is this is not right, and Im being manipulated bc I'm nice, and afraid for what he might do if I don't help. Desperate men do desperate things. Im now going to double. and triple my efforts to get out of here by April 1. I wonder if the next tenant will put up with this.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:20 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northshore0119 View Post
He's called a total of three times so far, it is now 3pm Sunday. He says he is in a 'crisis' and needs cash (not a check) today for a prescription for his daughter. So now he's manipulating me, bc if it is indeed a crisis for his daughter, I feel bad, even though I know this is not my problem. However, if he made that up, he's a despicable rotten slumlord. And interestingly, he still doesn't want his wife to know, as he asked me to o.ly call his cell phone, and not the house. The bottom line is this is not right, and Im being manipulated bc I'm nice, and afraid for what he might do if I don't help. Desperate men do desperate things. Im now going to double. and triple my efforts to get out of here by April 1. I wonder if the next tenant will put up with this.
The guy either owes money to someone or has an addictive vice. The problem is that you capitulate once, and he'll keep coming back for more unless a new source is found.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:16 PM

325 posts, read 486,410 times
What a nightmare. Get out while you still and prosecute this scumbag to the full extent of the law. Get as much as you can in writing *now* and consider recording his calls.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:50 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
You have become an enabler.

Don't answer the phone if landlord asks for rent early. Don't speak with him.

Do document each and every phone call. Write it down. Get a log book and write dates, times, and summary of conversation.

Do write the letter to the landlord. Brief and to the point. No whining. Just facts. Save a copy.

As a tenant at will landlord can boot you out with 30 day notice or raise the rent. So maybe you should act wisely and begin search for a new place earlier then planned.

Write the letter. Brief and to the point. Hand deliver letter to wife.

Be prepared to move if things do not quiet down.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:44 AM

244 posts, read 572,802 times
I agree with Unit731. Keep a log.
If he needs an Rx for his daughter, his wife would know. Moms always know when their child is in need of a refill or needs an Rx.
A registered letter he has to sign for, or his wife, is the best way to go. And, begin shopping now for a place. If there isn't a place, stay with a friend, but this guy is trying to make his problems yours. Don't let him. You sound like you are a very maternal-like person who loves to help people and you are going to have to dig deep to find, for lack of a better word, "your inner bit*h" to keep him at bay. Good luck.

This is quite the movie; sounds like a horror film waiting to be made.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:02 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
sublease the place out to 10 illegal daylabors....that way you will get your deposit back...

Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 PM

Thanks everyone. I just got off the phone with his wife, he has been telling her that I've not been paying rent on time or in full. She believes he has a gambling problem. Ive learned a very huge lesson, i shouldve been asking for his requests in writing bc now its his word against mine. I think she believes me, bc she said he hasn't been paying their bills, but she was very upset when I told her some of the things he's said to me and how long this has been going on for. And she expressed some anger that I didn't tell her sooner. I apologized and said I didn't want to get involved in their affairs, I only wanted to live here in peace. I'm not sure what will happen next, but I'm hoping to be out of here in a month or two. What a nightmare, and I can only imagine how his wife is feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts