U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-18-2012, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 698 times
Red face Landlord asking for moneytoo soon.

You most definitely have such a good case against him. If I were you I would document everything. No matterwhat when a spouse asks anyone to cover for them it's usuallynot a good sign. Would you feel comfortable giving him a receipt every time you lend him money? Then if this ends in court you have even more against him. The sooner you can get out the better. Remeber if he wants he can you a crappy reference so keep as much as you can,documentation wise to help you in case he does give you a crappy reference because you refuse to help him inappropiately.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 04:50 PM

10,054 posts, read 13,864,066 times
No question the guy has a vice, probably gambling. I do feel for the OP in worrying about "desperate people do desperate things." If she is fearful of physical safety, that's a whole 'nother level, but I certainly concur with the letter writing and documenting and saving whatever voice mails there are.
My father told his relatives that we kids needed shoes and these gentile wives, "They want, they want, they want." He didn't pay the mortgage for five months, pretended to go to the car to look for the receipts, and my mother went after him with a pair of scissors.
I suspect the landlord is a gambler, since his parents were "unavailable because they went to Mohegan Sun." What, no cell phone? What, no handouts?
It's a shame the OP has been pushed around so much for this guy's vice. I suspect it will *never* happen again. Best wishes.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:53 PM

If OP is afraid for physical safety, move. Now. Anywhere you can. Screw the lease. This dirtbag will not go after you for breaking a lease.
I hope his wife breaks a chair over his head on her way out the door.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:09 PM

8 posts, read 9,869 times
Thank everyone here for your words of support. I have secured s new place to live, so I will be giving the landlord notice tomorrow. I'm worried about the traction from him as he still can't manage his money even though he finally git a job. A few days ago, I ran out of gas (for hot eater and stove) bc he didn't pay his bill or my bill, the oil company wouldn't come out to refill me. (Gas is included in rent). He asked me for my credit card, and said he'd write me a check for the amount. I said no, of course. But had to go 2 days w no hot water or use of oven. He apologized, said he had forgotten to make sure my tank was full bc he has so much on his mind, and told me to take 2 days rent if the total due April 1st. So clearly he's a financial mess, and losing my monthly payment is most likely going to stress him out. Hoping there is nothing he will do to hurt me in anyway, as I have to stay here til April 30. Electricity & cable ate also included in rent, so I fear those will be shut off before I leave. I know he cant legally do that, but hes so desperate for money now, I wouldn't put it past him to try it. Very worried. I wrote a letter stating this is my last month and I'd like my security deposit back when I leave. I will leave it for him tomorrow along w final rent check.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:19 PM

4,081 posts, read 5,912,976 times
Congratulations on finding a new place! Hope you get your security deposit back without taking him to court. Don't give up.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:27 AM

Great on getting a new place and not giving him a cent (asking for your credit card, he's spiraling out of control).
You should also send him a letter documenting what was turned off and for how long, etc. with copies and all. Can't hurt. I sincerely doubt you'll see any security deposit.
Again, if you have a real physical fear, move. Go to a motel. Sleep in your car with the pet. Don't take that chance.
But it sounds like he is desperate about money and maybe had loan sharks going after his kneecaps.
Of course, since he could gain access to your house when you're not there, put anything of value that he might steal away. Anywhere. Trunk of your car, a one-month storage facility container of the smallest kind. Keep us posted.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:28 AM

Could OP not pay last month in lieu of security deposit?

Old 04-01-2012, 12:18 PM

14 posts, read 14,970 times
Wow.. I would not like that situation at all. If he does not want his wife to know he is asking for money from you makes me think he maybe doing something with the cash he does have and he should NOT be doing. He is making his problem your problem. I would stop taking his calls and continue to pay your rent when it's due. You should not feel quilty over the situation. You have done nothing wrong. If he continues to bug you I would respectlfully tell him you have your own bills and life to pay for and can not help him. I would consider moving ASAP.Hang in there.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:44 AM

346 posts, read 298,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Could OP not pay last month in lieu of security deposit?
Not really, security deposit should not be used instead of rent, even though it's usually same amount, but when one signs a lease, one is usually required to pay first, last month and security deposit. Wasn't the security one not prepayed by OP?

Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 PM

8 posts, read 9,869 times
Thanks everyone. While I had a civil conversation with the landlord about this being my last month, he has since ignored my calls for pellets, which are my source of heat that he is supposed to provide for me. It's 46 degrees in hete, and I'm heating the house w a space heater that he asked me to buy last fall when the pellet stove broke, and he said he'd compensate me for. I bought one for $45 at Home Depot, left the receipt in his mailbox per his request, and hr never paid me back. Tonight, I left him a voucemail at 630pm asking for pellets, as he hasbt given me a bag since Sunday, and there was no response. I just left a note in his mailbox saying if he cant provide me w hear for the remaindef of my stay here, he needs to let me know. I also asked for a copy of a current bank statement showing my security deposit balance w interest prior to my departure on 4/30. I'm really, really, really done with this situation, my patience has run out. I think I've been overly accomodating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts