U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:49 PM

8 posts, read 10,453 times

Advertisements

I'll start by saying I've never been late in paying rent in the 4 years I've lived here. My rent is due on the first, and I live in a private building on my landlords property. He has been unemployed for about 10 months, and has asked for rent early 4 times since his unemployment, each time telling me not to tell his wife he has asked. Ive tried acomidating him, but im on a tight budget. Sometimes I've given a few hundred dollars, once I gave him the whole amount early. Once in the middle of the month, he asked to borrow $40, promising to return it the next day, and he didn't give it back until the day rent was due. This week, he called Monday asking for the check, I said I couldn't help him until I got paid, but that I will be paying on time. He then asked for $50, saying he needed it to pay the heating bill. I gave it to him. Today is Wednesday, and he has called twice. I was unable to take his first call, so he called again 1/2 hour later asking if I had the money yet. I do not, and I said I'm sorry. His tone was then rude, and he said he and his family will 'have to tough it out' until I can pay them. This makes me feel very uncomfortable. I am also in fear of my heat or electricity being shut off. I do not wish to start any arguments with him, but is it appropriate for me to include a letter with my rent check requesting that he stop these calls. He is making his financial problems mine, and its not fair. I plan to move out as soon as I save up enough, but until then, I would like to stop having these conversations with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 03:54 PM

91 posts, read 172,115 times
Tell him that the next time he asks to borrow money, you will be calling the Attorney General's office because you have RIGHTS as a tenant - and his family having to *tough* it out isn't your problem.

You pay your rent when it is due - the 1st. Not earlier, not later. On the 1st.

Also, he can't shut your heat off for not paying rent early - that's also illegal. Go to Mass.Gov and look under tenant's rights. This guy is a weenie.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:20 PM

243 posts, read 298,962 times
I agree with Darins Mom!
Make sure you have a copy of your agreement readily available incase he tries anything 'sneaky'. You've been very generous in trying to help him, but he needs to do it himself. Now that he's crossed this line with you, he risks losing you as a tenant and then losing hundreds of dollars a month.
Good luck and hang in there!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:32 PM

2,458 posts, read 1,964,585 times
I'd move

Old 12-28-2011, 05:43 PM

Thank you both for your responses. He's taking advantage of my good nature and I needed to hear that I'm not out of line. Thanks again.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:10 AM

364 posts, read 328,423 times
Also, your landlord can't raise the rent until your current lease is up (most likely you know that anyway, but just in case that's what he means by "toughening it up"). When does your lease run out, by the way? You may start looking for a new place now.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:57 PM

Fortunately, I am a tenant at will and can leave at 30 days notice. But I'm going to need a few months to save up, especially bc I have reason to believe he has spent my security deposit on his own needs. Today is Thursday, and he had the audacity to call me again this morning, telling me his family's gas has been shut off, and my apartment is about to run out of gas if I can't give him a few hundred dollars today. I'm beyond stressed out, and this is supposed to be my vacation week. He has called me a total of 6 times this week. He told me I am his last resort bc his parents went to Mohegan Sun for the week and he can't ask them for money. I'm most likely going to include a letter with the rent check requesting that this behavior stops from now on.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:01 PM

4,209 posts, read 6,161,008 times
What a terrible, awkward situation. He has to return your security deposit, minus damages (documented) within a specified period of time or you are entitled to collect triple damages in small claims court. If he is unable to pay, there will be lien placed on the property.

Obviously you will have to move when you have the money.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:04 PM

243 posts, read 298,962 times
There has to be some kind of legal action you can take here...I'd call around and do some investigating. I know you don't have the extra cash flow but he's asking you for things he has not right to, endangering your by not being able to pay for your gas (which I'm sure is included in your rent) etc. Maybe there is a lawyer out there doing pro bono work or you can get a letter drawn up at least, stating your legal rights?

Old 12-29-2011, 05:32 PM

4,209 posts, read 6,161,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather3 View Post
There has to be some kind of legal action you can take here...I'd call around and do some investigating. I know you don't have the extra cash flow but he's asking you for things he has not right to, endangering your by not being able to pay for your gas (which I'm sure is included in your rent) etc. Maybe there is a lawyer out there doing pro bono work or you can get a letter drawn up at least, stating your legal rights?
Yes, she has the right to heat, water, electricity, etc. You can contact the state office of consumer affairs regarding what tenants rights are.

I think the guy's wife should also know what is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts