Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 05:55 AM

10 posts, read 28,777 times

Advertisements

at around the time when I was a college student I was asked to do jury duty. i responded, told to go to the courtroom, and got placed on a jury for a civil case.

turns out that my reasoning ability and personal integrity meant that I could not possibly honestly say that I thought that the accused person was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, and I found myself hanging the jury...

one of the jurors angrily mentioned that it was disturbing that a person like me got placed on a jury. I also think it is disturbing that a person like her got assigned with the task of deciding a person's life, but that's not the point...

The point is that it's been 6 years since the last time I did jury-duty and to this day I have not received a single letter asking me to do jury duty. (I thought I was eligible for jury duty after 3 years since the last time I did jury duty.)

I think it's likely that it just hasn't been my turn yet, and it's not like anxiously await the opportunity to play judge again, but could it be that I got red-flagged because I hung the jury? or perhaps, and I have no evidence to believe this is the case, but I suppose it is within the realm of possibility, could it be that another juror asked the court or the judge that I never be asked to do jury duty again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 06:19 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
I'm 61 y/o and only got called twice for jd. Husband is 64 and also only got called twice. For each of us it was one time in MA and one time in FL. The system is random. There's nothing personal about jury duty.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:15 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times
It's gonna happen.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:02 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Like they said, random. I got called twice in my whole life, and a third time under three years after the first time. Didn't serve either time. It did seem for a year that a lot of my coworkers were all getting called, and I wondered if there's some sort of bucket by profession or organization.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:03 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,922 times
It just means you are lucky.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:51 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,889 times
I'm just about to turn 30, and have never once been called to jury duty. Beginning to wonder if I'm red-flagged, or simply blessed

Old 01-01-2012, 11:23 AM

574 posts, read 1,064,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w55w View Post
at around the time when I was a college student I was asked to do jury duty. i responded, told to go to the courtroom, and got placed on a jury for a civil case.

turns out that my reasoning ability and personal integrity meant that I could not possibly honestly say that I thought that the accused person was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, and I found myself hanging the jury...

one of the jurors angrily mentioned that it was disturbing that a person like me got placed on a jury. I also think it is disturbing that a person like her got assigned with the task of deciding a person's life, but that's not the point...

The point is that it's been 6 years since the last time I did jury-duty and to this day I have not received a single letter asking me to do jury duty. (I thought I was eligible for jury duty after 3 years since the last time I did jury duty.)

I think it's likely that it just hasn't been my turn yet, and it's not like anxiously await the opportunity to play judge again, but could it be that I got red-flagged because I hung the jury? or perhaps, and I have no evidence to believe this is the case, but I suppose it is within the realm of possibility, could it be that another juror asked the court or the judge that I never be asked to do jury duty again?
Why does this even concern you? Most people dread being called for jury duty as it means a loss of work hours which equals a loss of pay unless $5 a day works for you? If it makes you feel better, I haven't been called for jury duty in many, many years which I am thankful for! And no...I was never on a jury to be black listed like you think you are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts