Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:11 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,044,291 times

Advertisements

Are winters really milder on the Cape? And what is milder? I heard your really experiencing warmer winters lately. Curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 09:25 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,781,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Are winters really milder on the Cape? And what is milder? I heard your really experiencing warmer winters lately. Curious.
I've lived on the Cape since 1990. I've found that in the summer the Cape is around 10 to 15 degrees cooler then the mainland. In the winter period we're about 10 degrees warmer. Enough so that a significant percent of the time, when it snows on the mainland the Cape gets sleet and rain. Indeed, I recall at least one time last winter, when the area on the mainland (and not at all far from the Cape) had a significant snowfall, all we got was rain. In fact, this past winter we got virtually no snow at all.

This weather pattern is likely the result of the surrounding water temperatures moderating and impacting the air temperatures. During the summer the water rarely gets into the upper 60 degree range, cooling the Cape. In the winter, water is around the 40 degree mark, raising our winter temps. Do keep in mind, that the air can be quite damp, so during the winter I would not call it a comfortable period.

As an aside, our Springs are short. It doesn't start to warm up here until late May. So, while the folks on the mainland are enjoying a lovely 70 degree Spring day, we're happy to see 60 degrees.

However, our Fall is to die for...

Rich

Old 09-19-2007, 12:23 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,044,291 times
Thanks, very useful info.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:02 PM

119 posts, read 174,441 times
I'm a well educated, young professional who has been living on Cape Cod (Bourne to be exact) and I can give you some great feedback on the Cape since I know the entire Cape very well. I have lived on the Cape for 8 years now and I'm actually moving to Houston, TX tomorrow for a new job. In all honesty, Cape Cod is the last place in the world for young professional's to live who are single. Since you're married and looking to raise a family I would say the Cape is a great place to live. I don't think Eastham would be a very good option though. If you're looking to make new friend's I would say you're better living on the Upper or Mid Cape year round. Once you get past Yarmouth you're going to notice there are a lot of neighborhoods that are owned by absentee owners, older and retired people, and there really isn't much going on. I am a huge fan of the Lower and Outer Cape and I think it would be a great place to live if I retired. Eastham is extremely seasonal and you're going to be bored out of your mind in the offseason. Orleans and Chatham are my favorite towns on the Lower Cape. You'll find more year rounders in these 2 towns but not much for young professionals since their is an older demographic in these towns due to the cost of living and location. If you both work out of your house or on the Mid Cape it would be nice to live in either town but be forewarned you'll be surrounded by a lot of blue collared people or older retired people in Orleans and Chatham. There is a group called Cape Cod Young Professionals you and your husband could join to meet new people. I've been to many events and it's a great place to network and meet new people. I will say that the Nauset school system is supposed to be very good and serves Orleans, Eastham, and Wellfleet. I think Chatham has their own school systems but I could be wrong. I would say Sandwich would be a good bet on the Cape for young professional's who plan on commuting and just to live in general.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:49 PM

10 posts, read 75,224 times
Default Year round on the cape is a HUGE mistake

Don't do it! If you want your kids to be bored, have no access to cultural events or to any kind of diversity, then go. The Cape is great from June to September.

If your husband really wants to live on a coastal town and be near the Cape, consider Duxbury. Very classy town, highly educated, white collar professionals who commute to Boston. Much better alternative than any town on Cape Cod.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 12,022 times
I am a California widow considering moving to the Cape fulltime when I retire in two years. I lived in Saugus and summered on the Cape for 10 years when I was a child so I am familiar with the area. What's it like on the Cape, specifically in Yarmouthport, for a "young at heart" 60 year old single woman?

Old 10-11-2007, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 12,017 times
Perhaps renting first would be a better option before buying....so that folks know before they buy? Just a thought.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:16 PM

951 posts, read 1,635,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrew26 View Post
Don't do it! If you want your kids to be bored, have no access to cultural events or to any kind of diversity, then go. The Cape is great from June to September.

If your husband really wants to live on a coastal town and be near the Cape, consider Duxbury. Very classy town, highly educated, white collar professionals who commute to Boston. Much better alternative than any town on Cape Cod.
Interesting statements, to say the least.

On your first point, please expound a bit on the lack of culture and diversity.

Your second point about the Cape is a given; it is a tourist destination, but there is a huge year-round population. Barnstable has 50k people alone.

On your third point, Duxbury doesn't sound that diverse, based on your description. It doesn't get the nickname of "Deluxbury" for nothing.

Please respond to the first two points. I'm interested in your thoughts.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 11,987 times
Default Thumbs down!

Having lived on Cape for over 25 years I can say without hesitation it has become dreary living. The outer cape - where I live - is nothing but a sandbar and off capers are building and paving everywhere. Naturally, it diminishes the resources and creates an unpleasant ambiance. Folks are moving with rapidity, even those who came to enjoy retirement. Every mail brings fliers from real estate agents wanting to know if we care to sell, or upgrade, or can recommend them to someone who does. Like seagulls at the dump. There once was a shabby charm to the place, but now it's gone, and erosion is removing the beach daily. The water - sea - is no longer pristine; the water - potable - is marginal at best. For the first time the kettle ponds are polluted from the unclean air! The weather has been quiet in the past several years, with few storms. The past three summers have not had a rainy day. Sounds nice - if you are a tourist.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:14 PM

261 posts, read 951,753 times
As one who was born and raised on Cape Cod, I would say it's truelly a matter of opinion. If you think you can afford to live on Cape and raise a family, go for it! As for being bored, nah, it all depends on your personality and what you like to do. I grew up in Mashpee, going to Falmouth High, mother and her family went to Barnstable, having grown up in Hyannis. Most people that grew up on Cape, don't move off Cape, or even travel off Cape. I moved off Cape in 2000 after joining the military, but that was out of necessity. I miss living on Cape Cod. It is very relaxing in the winter, yet, still stormy like other areas of Massachusetts. Temps usually a little cooler due to ocean surrounding sand bar, but nice. Again, it you wish to try living on Cape Cod, rent first, then purchase, decide about living there before having kids. Falmouth schools are good, as is Dennis Yarmouth Regional. I lived for a brief time in Dennisport, quaint village, worth checking out. Still close enough to Yarmouth and Hyannis (hub of Cape).

Good Luck with your decision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts