U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 43,978 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My husband and I are young professionals who currently live in Newton, MA. My husband's dream is to move to the Cape and settle in Eastham so that he can be near the beach and away from the hustle and bustle of Boston. We both are very familiar with how busy the Cape is during the summer, but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the community of year-round residents in towns like Chatham, Brewster, Eastham, etc.? We would like to start a family soon and I'd like to find out if there would be other young married couples and/or families who we could meet. Does anyone know? I love the area but am worried that we'd be lonely...
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2006, 09:03 PM

3,728 posts, read 10,859,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emarsi View Post
Hi all,
My husband and I are young professionals who currently live in Newton, MA. My husband's dream is to move to the Cape and settle in Eastham so that he can be near the beach and away from the hustle and bustle of Boston. We both are very familiar with how busy the Cape is during the summer, but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the community of year-round residents in towns like Chatham, Brewster, Eastham, etc.? We would like to start a family soon and I'd like to find out if there would be other young married couples and/or families who we could meet. Does anyone know? I love the area but am worried that we'd be lonely...
Thanks so much!
If I were you I would stay with Newton.

Also if Cape Cod is a must, check out Sandwich, Mashpee and Sagamore.

Cape Cod is nice, but, far from Boston. Winter boring.

judy

Old 09-13-2006, 04:54 PM

6 posts, read 55,771 times
I'd stay in Newton too especially with children. Lived in Cotuit and Centerville on the Cape for 3 years because my daughter use to train at the ice skating center at Tony Kent. All I can say is that I was bored out of my mind and the public schools were just so so. Some better than others but there are some decent privates.
Although now we live in a burb of Atlanta I would go back to the Cape to live in a second if the opportunity arose but to retire and putz around.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:55 PM

3,728 posts, read 10,859,591 times
Quote:
Hi all,
Thanks so much!
Hello, I just read the other post.

You both will be bored, and Newton is the best and safest place to live.

This housing market is going down, where you live is up. Read the Boston Globe and check real estate, Newton.

When you have a child you may visit Cape Cod, and decide, on vacation.

What I did find on cape cod people work come home, go into the garage,
and then travel to Boston for work on the bus.

Cape Cod is beautiful, however, you have the dream.

judy

Old 09-16-2006, 12:42 PM

639 posts, read 2,532,306 times
Hi EMarsi,

I agree with the other posters. I would say you'd possibly be extremely, horendously bored living on Cape Cod all year round. Especially raising kids there, that's even worse! We know people that go to the Cape every weekend to their 2nd homes, they are in a perfect set up, no kids to raise and semi-retired and retired, that's how they enjoy Cape Cod, to me that's heaven. My family & I know of quite a few families that actually left Cape Cod due to the alcohol and drug issues running rampant, due to boredom and isolated communities. It's not a good thing and it's definitely not healthy, that's for sure. If I had a house or even an apartment in Newton I'd be in my glory, I'd just LOVE it! You're luckier than you think, trust me!!

Old 09-29-2006, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 43,941 times
Exclamation Vacation on the Cape, don't live there

I'm 25, and have lived on the Cape for 9 years, in Centerville. I think you would be bored on the Cape. There is nothing for young people to do, and there really aren't many young couples there anyway. Most young people leave the Cape after high school and don't come back. Most of the population is retired, elderly, or very wealthy middle-aged families. There is a large low-income immigrant population, mostly from Brazil. Home prices may be going down at the moment, but they are still outrageous. You say you are young professionals, even without knowing what fields you are in I bet you would have a difficult time finding a job. Most jobs are retail or tourism oriented. If you are in the healthcare field you could probably find a good job at the hospital, but the Cape really isn't the place to advance your career. The traffic is awful. That's an understatement, really. You may think you don't mind putting up with it, but year after year it really gets to you. I would suggest living closer to the canal so that you can easily get off Cape, which is where the jobs are. I think that if you lived as far away as Eastham, you would end up feeling very isolated and not inclined to make the trip into Hyannis for shopping or to go off-Cape. I remember hearing someone say that they haven't been over the bridge in years, and they weren't talking about the Sagamore bridge, but the one that separates Dennis from Yarmouth on Rt 28! Yikes!

These are my views of the Cape, having lived there for 9 years. However, I lived there mostly as a high school and college student, with about a year of working (retail, at Barnes and Noble). I don't know it from the perspective of a working professional. From a young person's view, the Cape is not the place to be. If you're a nature-lover, you'd do well there, but I don't think it's really worth the cost and the lack of other activities and young couples. I wouldn't recommend the Cape as a year-round residence. It's a great place to vacation though.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:16 AM

13 posts, read 89,753 times
Will you be lonely and isolated? I think that depends on your personality and tendency to take part in whatever the community- any community- offers. If you are not lonely in Newton, I guess you'd be fine in many of the towns on the Cape.

Will you be bored? It depends on what you like to do. Do you like to walk the dogs on the beach, row or sail, watch birds? The high percentage of retired people means that many towns have lots active groups like book clubs, historical societies, arts centers, dance and exercise classes, etc. It is easy to get involved in schools, churches, the library... most people are open to newcomers.

If you gain "quality of life" points from walking on a quiet streets lined with beautiful old houses, watching boats (or being in them), hearing the sound of the waves on the shore, then the Cape may for you. If you need "action," then maybe not.

If you are flexible, you can learn to work around a lot of the traffic and crowding problems in ways the casual visitor does not know about. However, I think that the biggest problem in living there is that population has exceeded the infrastructure and the natural resource base (especially water), effects of which will only get worse in the future.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:38 PM

425 posts, read 1,053,759 times
Quote:
Hi all,
Thanks so much!

I live in Wellfleet year round. Hereís my observations:

Earning a living on Cape Cod will be dependant on what skills you possess. Attorneys, physicians, pharmacists should have no problem finding suitable employment. Lots of service jobs, mostly low paying ones. Weíre a seasonal economy (a short season, June
Through Labor Day).

I believed that of the fifteen Cape towns nine are among the oldest ten (demographically speaking) in the Commonwealth. The Cape is becoming a popular retirement location.

Iíve watched a number of young people raised up from infancy on the Cape (been here since 1990). On either side of me were four kids of various ages. Two are now out of college, one is just finishing and a young man (captain of the high school football team) will be going in a couple of years. Highly interested parents kept a tight rein on the young ones and all worked out very, very well. On the other hand Iíve seen some young people here who are, for all practical purposes, feral.

The elementary school in my town would rival most private ones. I believe the Nauset middle and high schools are also very well run.

Nothing to do for kids? Well, aside from some of the most beautiful beaches in the nation, great ponds, a skateboard park, active recreation department with tennis courts, baseball field, basketball courts, plus fishing, boating, biking and hiking, sure, not much to do.

Nice bunch of friendly folks live here. Great town services.

Youíll be as active as you wish, depending on what you find interesting.

Housing costs are high, but there seems to be a correction in the wind. Without a crystal ball I canít say where prices will be in the future.

Hope this rather rambling reply is helpful. Best of luck.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:09 PM

15 posts, read 101,648 times
Default cape cod

As I said in a private reply, living on the Cape is far nicer than living in Newton. I totally disagree with anyone who thinks Newton is heaven -- my husband grew up in Newton and we lived in Weston for 20 years, so we know what we're talking about. If you want to raise kids in an environment that is not overstressed, Falmouth is the place to be. And for things to do...? Kids in Newton are in activities, with tutors, and in camp all the time, fall, spring, winter and especially summer -- in Falmouth, everyone is outside all the time -- you don't need to send your children to camp all day -- you stroll or bike to the beach and have a lovely time.... My husband and I have lived in Falmouth since 1999 -- moved here from Weston -- and have never looked back -- we do not miss Boston one bit. There is life on the Cape -- it is not dead or boring -- when we left Weston everyone asked us what we were going to do with ourselves in the dead of winter -- well, to tell you the truth, I wish Falmouth were more dead in the winter!! We live the best life we could possibly imagine and can't stand even going back to the Weston/Wellesley/Newton area (where we have family) because it is so phony and materialistic and unfriendly.... But, alas, everyone is different, so the choice is very presonal.... good luck...

Old 01-03-2007, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 51,884 times
Thumbs up From a 35 year old ex Bostonian

I was raised on Cape Cod, growing up in Brewster and going to Nauset High School in Eastham. After college I lived in Boston for many years as a single young professional, living in the North End and Back Bay. I moved back to the Cape a few years ago after getting married and am probably one of the more qualified people you could speak with on the subject.

If you are young and single, Boston (or Newton) is certainly a better place to live. More social opportunities, restaurants, etc. The Cape is better suited though if you have a family and/or dog (I have a 11 month old baby and another on the way). As a parent you really can't do most of the fun things young single types can in the Boston area, and being a homebody is better in a nice house than a small overpriced condo. Its a great place to be in the summer and fall with the beaches, ponds, boating etc. While the winters are decidedly slow and uneventful, I don't think the masses of young families living in the towns off 495 are doing anything more exciting than I am.

I would look more towards the upper Cape (Sandwich in particular) than Lower. There is more of a younger year round population up here than down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts