Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 03:39 PM

967 posts, read 4,771,845 times

Advertisements

I think what Puffle is referring to is that there is a Superfund toxic waste site in Ashland and there was a health study that was released a year or so ago linking this pollution to rare forms of cancer. There are still plumes of toxic sludge underneath part of Pleasant St in Ashland (near the train station -- and also near a children's day care!) and there are several schools within close proximity to the site. I lived there as a child and personally would not choose to return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 09:07 AM

42 posts, read 145,498 times
Hi jenlion/puffle,

You can do a Google search on the Nyanza chemical and Superfund site, which the EPA and Mass authorities have been working on for the last 10-20 years or so (chemical dumping occurred in the preceding decades). You will find oodles of info on the past, present and future status of the dangers, the locales within Ashland that this affects/affected and the action plans that were/are in place.

We, too, have been looking into Ashland, among other towns, and so have been trying to understand the dangers as well.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:42 AM

31 posts, read 93,511 times
The issue with Ashland water is from such a long time ago. It has since been cleaned up but the negativity remains. There is a very small part of town that was effected which backs up to the Ashland train station. There are people that lived here 15-20 years ago that it effected but the site is gone and cleaned up and is tested regularly. Ashland now gets its drinking water from Hopkinton Reservoir. Every few years there is some big media hype about it and the Ashland residents just roll their eyes, because it is old news to us and no longer an issue. In general, if you can afford Hopkinton, Southboro, I would go there, not because of this issue, but because the schools are better and the towns themselves are nicer. Ashland is a nice alternative to those who can't afford those towns, however, because the schools are really good and there are some great neighborhoods and sections of town. There are some less desirable sections (not dangerous, just run down) that you won't get in Hopkinton or Southborough, which is why it is more affordable. Those sections are pretty isolated, however, and there are a lot of really nice families there.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:55 PM

7 posts, read 30,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoaster2 View Post

Some criteria my wife and I would consider important:
1. not urban but not too rural....having been in Long Island and North NJ you get the idea. the suburbs. we are in our late 30s with 2 small children.
2. good schools, safe neighborgood, sense of community
3. somewhat central location in Mass, since do not need to commute into Boston something probably west...still have family in LI and NJ and want to stay within 4 hrs or so drive distance, so probably not North Mass or NH either. Easy access to highways, hopefully within 1 hr of an airport.
4. close to shopping
5. looking in $500k-$525k range for house.

Thoughts? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Hi Eastcoaster,

I'm a NYC transplant, and part of a group of families, couples and singles who are building homes in an ecovillage in Berlin, MA. This location meets a lot (possibly all) of your criteria, including other children in your children's age range, plus extra amenities for all ages, if you are looking to move in sometime around Summer or Fall of 2008. There are 3 BR townhouses available in your range. Berlin itself is a small classic New England town surrounded by orchards and farms (not to mention our 28 acres of land in permanent conservation), yet there's shopping nearby, a movie theater, and it's 5 minutes from 495 and 290, which connects well to the entire region you mentioned.

Because we are essentially developing the community ourselves, the homes are not listed with a realtor, so you might not otherwise hear about them. You can find out more at sawyerhill.org or drop me an email.

Good luck in your search!
Ecovillager

Old 11-30-2007, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 9,652 times
You might look at the Amherst-Northampton area in western Mass. . It is a lot cheaper than Boston but still offers a nice blend of culture (5 excellent institutions of higher education) and farms and open fields. There are a lot of telecommuters here - around 700 in a support group, I hear. Boston is 2 hours and NY city around 4. Bradley airport is about 1 hour.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:01 PM

121 posts, read 409,719 times
Eastcoaster2 - so, how did your search end up? Have you decided on a town?

Old 12-17-2007, 11:46 AM

62 posts, read 291,102 times
just wanted to add franklin, ma great little town and fantastic schools.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,217 times
Dunstable, Mass is about 45 minutes from Boston; beautiful town; small, close-knit community and wonderful place to raise kids ( we have 3); Groton-Dunstable schools are quite good; Nashua, NH is a 5 minute car ride where you can find just about every store you could imagine! Dunstable is one of Massachusetts best-kept secrets! It seems there are never many houses for sale as people don't leave!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:34 PM

15 posts, read 105,152 times
I have lived in the Marlboro area most of my life and I don't think Ashland, Maynard, Clinton or Hudson are very nice at all. The places to live in the Marlboro area are(depending on which side you work on)Northboro, Southboro, Westboro-very close to route 9, 495, 290, MassPike. Shrewsbuy-Route 9 & 290. Bolton, Berlin close to Route 495, 290 and Stow close to route 495. Shrewsbury and Westboro are kind of similar both have a mixture of housing-apartments, older homes, newer homes, townhomes etc...lots of shopping near by very busy areas. If you like a rural feel I would tend to go with Bolton-great schools, small town (the mall is less than 10 minutes away)there are plenty of stores within 10 minutes and you get a lot for your money. Berlin is rural and close to shopping but the schools are not so good. Stow is rural lots to do outdoors-walking trails, biking, fishing, conoeing..etc. Southborough is exspensive but a cute town, good schools and close to all major routes. Northboro is close to major routes not as cute as Southboro.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:43 AM

12 posts, read 32,673 times
Marblehead is really GREAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts