Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 01:52 PM

7 posts, read 17,456 times

Advertisements

Hello.. wife and I are strongly considering Norwell and Hanover. We work downtown so would like to keep the commute as reasonable as possible, hopefully by finding something near the exit 14 / route 228 area. Our budget is 425k max, ideally no more than 400k. Is this do-able?
We're a young, active couple, looking to start a family very soon. Would you consider one of these towns better than the other? Do either have a better sense of "community" ??

Thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 02:17 PM

157 posts, read 570,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLNK View Post
Hello.. wife and I are strongly considering Norwell and Hanover. We work downtown so would like to keep the commute as reasonable as possible, hopefully by finding something near the exit 14 / route 228 area. Our budget is 425k max, ideally no more than 400k. Is this do-able?
We're a young, active couple, looking to start a family very soon. Would you consider one of these towns better than the other? Do either have a better sense of "community" ??

Thanks for any input
I am from Scituate and have family in both towns; they are both very similar. You'll get a better deal in Hanover as far as value goes, but the housing stock between Hanover and Norwell are pretty much on par. Both towns are very similar, but Norwell is generally regarded as having the better school system and historically has been one of the best in the state. Norwell housing values are also among the strongest and most consistent even during the economic downturn.

I personally would prefer Norwell as it is closer to the ocean, features the North River, is closer to the ocean, and less built up but is still close to all the conveniences in both Hanover and Braintree as far as shopping goes. I also think long term, Norwell will have the better home value appreciation and schools. Hanover however, will be more affordable, and I believe has a lower tax rate. It's also more convenient to the commuter rail.

Neither commute to downtown is great. Rt 3 just sucks, there's not much else to be said about it.

As far as housing stock goes... in the fall before folks started delisting stuff for the season there was a ton of really nice housing stock available in both towns for around 425-450, and even lower. Stuff that needs work or a lot of updating or is small can be had for less so depending on what your expectations are 400k is definitely doable.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:27 PM

131 posts, read 414,192 times
I live in Norwell, and my daughter just bought in Hanover. I have loved living in Norwell, but also love Hanover. Norwell is more woodsy than Hanover, and the area by Scituate can be tough commute-wise. Hanover is pretty with old stone walls everywhere. Both have good recreation programs. Norwell schools are superb, where Hanover's are merely very good, but you get more bang for the buck in Hanover. Feel free if you have any more questions as my daughter was considering the same two towns a year ago.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 8,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLNK View Post

Thanks for any input
Each of the 351 cities and towns in Massachusetts actually has a unique personality. Each has an image in the minds of other people who know MA. There must be something in the water, because it only takes a few years for you to pick up that town by town vibe. What's been said about these two towns is pretty much the case. The commute into Boston from the South Shore is not fun, but you can adjust your hours to minimize the pain. I live in Norwell and if I leave home at or before 6 am I may be able to be in Boston in 45 minutes. If I leave at 6:30 or 7 am it can take 2 hours. and that's from exit 13, not 14. But personality-wise you have to make your own assessment. You may find yourself more comfortable in one than the other. You can certainly find a nice house in both towns for that kind of money. I lived in Concord, MA for 20 years and really wanted to and expected to love Hingham. My conclusion during the house hunt was that I just couldn't warm to the town although I do like to shop and do things there. Norwell reminded me the most of Concord in personality, although it does not have the lovely, walkable downtown that Concord has. This is mid 2012 and Norwell is consciously looking at redeveloping the town center, so it may change over the years.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:54 PM

392 posts, read 919,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2MA View Post
Each of the 351 cities and towns in Massachusetts actually has a unique personality. Each has an image in the minds of other people who know MA. There must be something in the water, because it only takes a few years for you to pick up that town by town vibe.
yes, that is very true! I would say, that even driving seems to differ from town to town, even though these towns might flow into each other, how people proceed at 4 way stop signs, or let someone turn into their lane (or not)...

In terms of vibe some towns are very "clear", open up to you (even if you are not living there, not even consider moving). Basically, some places resonate with you, while others do not. I don't know how to explain this, but I can feel it. Fascinating stuff!
Now pardon my ramblings, and unfortunately I can't add more info to compare the two towns in question - other than to drive around, sit in a cafe, take it all in and "get a good feeling"

Old 03-05-2013, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,752 times
Hi NY2MA and others in Norwell,
I am looking at housing options in Norwell. Not sure if the commute would be reasonable. I plan to go to Boston and possibly take the T train at Qunicy Adams on some weeks and use the Greenbush line on other weeks.. Any info on how long the commute would be from Summer Street/Scituate border to Quincy Adams during morning rush hour --7.15am- 7.30am start time.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts