Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,244 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

My wife recently accepted a job in Lynn and we were wondering what communities in the North Shore folks might recommend to buy a home in the mid 300 to mid 400 range?

So far we've heard from friends who have suggested towns such as Salem, Beverly, Swampscott and Melrose. We understand the latter two would require my wife driving to Lynn, while she could take the train with the others. I am an internet design professional and can telecommute or drive to opportunities as needed.

We are a just-turned 40 professional couple, hoping to start a family, and are looking for a town that still has a "town feel" (e.g., a local coffe shop, post office, library, a "downtown" area of commerce, etc.) in walking distance from our home. We currently live in the North West edge of Philadelphia (where it has more of a suburban town feel than in center city) and are looking for a home that similarly has some proximity to places of interest, but we don't need to be at the exact center of all things. We are also an interracial couple (I am asian-american, she is caucasian), and ideally would love to live in an area where that isn't an issue with our neighbors.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 AM

940 posts, read 1,935,839 times
If you would like to stay on the train line, Gloucester and Salem have the biggest downtowns with lots to offer and are more diverse, although with more Spanish than Asian population.

In your price range you can find something in Salem, Beverly, Swampscott, Ipswich, Newburyport and Gloucester.

In Manchester, Hamilton, Rockport and Marblehead you will get the least for your money, because they are most desirable and expensive.

Off the train line you can find something in Melrose and Danvers, also nice towns.

All of those towns have a nice town feel, because they are older end less suburban.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:48 PM

199 posts, read 948,589 times
Agree with Konefetka - except prices have come down in Hamilton and there are homes in your price range.

Salem is the closest to Lynn, that's on the train, has homes within your price range, with shops/restaurants, and a very walkable downtown (waterfront, train/bus station, library, post office, shops/restaurants, small supermarket are all within a few miles - and easily walkable). It's got that 'town' feel you've described. The historic districts around the Common and Federal/Chestnut St are the more desirable areas in the city. The other aspect is that there are number of interracial families (Asian/Caucasian) in Salem and more ethnically diverse than the other places mentioned; it's also more diverse in other ways than the other places mentioned.

Beverly is north of Salem. It's more suburb than Salem and has a walkable downtown too, but is more spread out and less ethnically diverse.

Ipswich, Newburyport, Rockport, Manchester, Gloucester are further away from Lynn, but on the train line. All of them have a 'town' feel to them, but there's more going on in Newburyport and Gloucester since they're small cities and more diversity.

There are buses between Marblehead and Lynn. Though it's economically diverse, it's less ethnically diverse than some other places mentioned.

Melrose is on the train line, but not the train line to Lynn. You'd be taking buses to cross over to Lynn, which is doable but a pain. The town is also not known for its diversity, though I believe there's more diversity now than years ago. Check out the sections 2 and 3 on system map on the MBTA website MBTA.com > Complete Public Transportation System Map

Old 01-31-2012, 01:07 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,112,557 times
The drive time from Melrose to Lynn would only be about ~20 minutes. Look into Wakefield as well. It's just north of Melrose, has a very nice downtown, and would also be about ~20 minutes to Lynn by car.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:41 AM

130 posts, read 275,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wivenhoe View Post
Agree with Konefetka - except prices have come down in Hamilton and there are homes in your price range.

Salem is the closest to Lynn, that's on the train, has homes within your price range, with shops/restaurants, and a very walkable downtown (waterfront, train/bus station, library, post office, shops/restaurants, small supermarket are all within a few miles - and easily walkable). It's got that 'town' feel you've described. The historic districts around the Common and Federal/Chestnut St are the more desirable areas in the city. The other aspect is that there are number of interracial families (Asian/Caucasian) in Salem and more ethnically diverse than the other places mentioned; it's also more diverse in other ways than the other places mentioned.

Beverly is north of Salem. It's more suburb than Salem and has a walkable downtown too, but is more spread out and less ethnically diverse.

Ipswich, Newburyport, Rockport, Manchester, Gloucester are further away from Lynn, but on the train line. All of them have a 'town' feel to them, but there's more going on in Newburyport and Gloucester since they're small cities and more diversity.

There are buses between Marblehead and Lynn. Though it's economically diverse, it's less ethnically diverse than some other places mentioned.

Melrose is on the train line, but not the train line to Lynn. You'd be taking buses to cross over to Lynn, which is doable but a pain. The town is also not known for its diversity, though I believe there's more diversity now than years ago. Check out the sections 2 and 3 on system map on the MBTA website MBTA.com > Complete Public Transportation System Map
Completely agree! Hamilton has some really good discounted property and if you love horses than it is the place to be. All the sounding town has its own character and schools are excellent especially Manchester/Essex as well as Hamilton/Wenham. A lot of people send their kids to private school in Beverly and you will find a lot of people your age in the Centerville which is part of the Beverly. Prides crossing and Beverly farms are very small but nice community by the beach. You will love the North Shore!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wivenhoe View Post
As far as I understand the taxes in Hamilton make up for relatively affordable house prices (small town, no commercial base)

Old 02-01-2012, 12:45 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,428,446 times
With no kids and a budget up to $450K, I would look at Lynn, Peabody and Swampscott.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:26 PM

Other towns not mentioned yet are Winthrop and Nahant. Winthrop is right next to Boston, 20 minutes from Lynn, right on the water, small and quiet. Nahant is right next to Lynn, on a peninsula, and shares the middle school and high school with Swampscott, is very nice and expensive, but sometimes you can find something in your range.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,973 times
Swampscott is my favourite town on the North Shore. It's right next door to Lynn and served by the MBTA commuter rail.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awc71 View Post
We are a just-turned 40 professional couple, hoping to start a family, and are looking for a town that still has a "town feel" (e.g., a local coffe shop, post office, library, a "downtown" area of commerce, etc.) in walking distance from our home. We currently live in the North West edge of Philadelphia (where it has more of a suburban town feel than in center city) and are looking for a home that similarly has some proximity to places of interest, but we don't need to be at the exact center of all things. We are also an interracial couple (I am asian-american, she is caucasian), and ideally would love to live in an area where that isn't an issue with our neighbors.
Do you mean Chestnut Hill or City Line? I'm assuming the former when you say "town feel." From the list, I would say Swampscott and maybe Marblehead. Salem to me has more of an Old City feel due to the historical draw for tourists. It does change the character a bit. Rockport's draw is less historical and more for the quaintness, kind of like Chestnut Hill. I think Ipswich is an even closer match (you won't find nearly as many New Yorkers during tourist season), but both are a bit far from Lynn. Newburyport and Gloucester are great if you want something bigger, but far once again. Unless one of these farther places really grab your attention, I would target Swampscott.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts