Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 04:02 PM

9 posts, read 30,476 times

Advertisements

Hi All-
We are looking at a job offer for my husband in Lexington, and are considering a rental in Southborough. We have 5 kids, ages 12 years to 17 months, so schools are a big consideration. Also, we would like a town that has a sense of community. If we can get a good library, so much the better!

Any thoughts on Southborough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 04:26 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,906 times
Is there a reason you're looking so far west? It wouldn't be the worst commute, but I think you could do significantly better. What's your rental budget? Depending on your budget and the town feel you're looking for, I would look first at places like Bedford, Belmont, Reading, etc.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:09 PM

We could probably afford up to $4000, but honestly I don't want to spend that much because I want to save up to buy a nice home, and also we like taking nice vacations. I don't want the money all going towards rent. My ideal would be between $2500 and $3000, but it looks like we may have to go above that a bit. EDITED to add: With 5 kids, we really need a 4 bedroom house minimum.
I'm not really finding homes for rent in the areas you mentioned, and I don't want to be in an apartment.
It seems like most places close to Lexington are quite expensive.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:30 PM

925 posts, read 2,741,603 times
Southboro is a very nice community with well regarded schools, lots of community activities, easy train & highway access, and a great little library. The only knock I've heard against Southboro is that there is very little shopping in town but there's tons of shopping & restaurants in nearby Westboro & Framingham. You can find school info at The Best Public Schools in Boston 2011: In the Classroom and GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community. Also check out mysouthborough.com for lots of local news stories, photos & more.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:06 PM

675 posts, read 2,683,817 times
We live in Southborough and love it. There is a very strong parent community here, and the schools and sports programs are fantastic. We are close enough to the shopping/dining in nearby Framingham and Westborough, but still retain a small town feel.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeoferp View Post
We could probably afford up to $4000, but honestly I don't want to spend that much because I want to save up to buy a nice home, and also we like taking nice vacations. I don't want the money all going towards rent. My ideal would be between $2500 and $3000, but it looks like we may have to go above that a bit. EDITED to add: With 5 kids, we really need a 4 bedroom house minimum.
I'm not really finding homes for rent in the areas you mentioned, and I don't want to be in an apartment.
It seems like most places close to Lexington are quite expensive.
Personally, if I were renting, I would want more than Southborough unless I'm scoping out the area for a possible purchase in the future. It looks like Newton has a bunch of 4-5br houses for less than $3000/month. Newton has great schools and there's a bunch to do. Commute would be a breeze by Boston standards as well. Lexington is a 15 minute shot up Route 128 and you have the option of cutting through Waltham if highway traffic is bad. I'm not sure if craigslist links are allowed here but here's a few from doing a quick search:

*Spacious&Modern SING FAM HOUSE*3.5ba*Patio*CENT AIR*Garage*InUNIT WD* (http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/fee/2802248533.html - broken link)
2 BA, SINGLE FAM. (SEMI-ATTACHED) NR C-RL/SHOPS! LNDRY, GREAT SPACE!! (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fee/2788703899.html - broken link)
*NOW AVAIL* Gigantic 3Flr HOUSE-Garage-3.5Ba-InUnitWD-YARD-FireP-LR+DR (http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/fee/2809168392.html - broken link)

Another option is Arlington. It puts you in the thick of things and it's even an easier commute than Newton. It would be a reverse commute so taking Route 2 or local streets to Lexington would be a breeze. Here's one in a nice part of town:

►►VERY LARGE 5B/2.5B AMAZING TRIPLEX On Gray St! (http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/nfb/2785652291.html - broken link)

I believe it's in the Brackett Elementary catchment, one of the best in the state. Arlington Heights would be an attractive option as well (the part of Arlington right next to Lexington). We saw a bunch of reasonable houses for rent near McClennen Park. People know the parts of Arlington near Brackett Elementary and the Trader Joe's so this neighborhood near Lexington seems to command lower prices. Good luck!

ETA: Here's a 5br in Bedford for $2700
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/abo/2814150674.html (broken link)
If you want more land and don't mind being on the other side of Lexington from Boston, Bedford is a great choice for a Lexington commute. The Burlington commercial area is right there and you have all the history and outdoor beauty you could want in the Concord area.

Last edited by Cato the Elder; 02-03-2012 at 10:51 PM..

Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 AM

2 kidsforme and kmann-sherborn, thanks so much for your answers. It sounds like a great place.
Cato- Thanks for your response. We are looking at a place that we would eventually be able to buy a permanent home. Our kids have had to move quite a bit recently, and I don't want to have to uproot them again in a couple of years when we decide to buy a permanent place.
Also, all those places you linked to look small or to be townhouses. I don't think that will work for us. We are coming from a 5,600 square foot house in Indiana and a 4,300 square foot house in AZ, so I think anything less than 2500 sqft. would be too small.
but I do appreciate your taking the time to look things up, and your help with commute times.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:39 AM

23 posts, read 65,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
We live in Southborough and love it. There is a very strong parent community here, and the schools and sports programs are fantastic. We are close enough to the shopping/dining in nearby Framingham and Westborough, but still retain a small town feel.
Yes, this exactly. If this doesn't feel right for you, don't do it. We just had an offer accepted on a house in Southborough and I could not be more thrilled!

Old 06-06-2012, 01:57 PM

609 posts, read 2,242,594 times
my personal opinion is that S'boro to Lexington would be a bad commute especially in the winters...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts