U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2012, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,091 times

Advertisements

Can you make suggestions on towns to live in?

My spouse works in Littleton, MA and I work in Woburn. We would like a single-family home in the Boston Northshore. We plan to start a family soon so we're looking for: decent schools and low crime rates. Looking to spend ~300K-375K.

Note: We like Burlington, MA and Stoneham, MA. Are there other towns we should consider?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 09:50 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,212,506 times
The area you are talking about is not considered the North Shore. The North Shore includes towns in Essex County. That said, with that price range and commuting to those locations, you want to look at Billerica and Chelmsford.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:00 AM

121 posts, read 203,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
The area you are talking about is not considered the North Shore.
Depends on who you ask and how you're defining it
North Shore (Massachusetts) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-08-2012, 09:11 AM

940 posts, read 863,301 times
If you want to be closer to Woburn, for decent schools in your price range I would suggest Burlington, Stoneham, Wakefield, Melrose, Wilmington and Reading. You would have to look at the highways to make sure you are within a good commute range to your husband's work.

With your budget you could find something in more desirable towns, but it might be smaller and/or older.

The term North Shore is used loosely depending on who is using it, usually including those towns actually closer to the shore, or those that would otherwise be in "north of Boston" category.

From near Woburn you can still be within 30 minutes on 128 to an actual shore.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:36 PM

5,449 posts, read 3,989,298 times
the North Shore of MASSACHUSETTS (not Boston) try Beverly, its down 128 from Woburn, and isn't uber expensive

Old 02-08-2012, 03:43 PM

10,115 posts, read 14,428,654 times
Beverly would be a crummy commute to Littleton, especially during normal business hours. I'm not even sure if it could be done at all "You can't get there from here." Frankly, although I'm biased, I think Littleton itself would be a great location for OP, or even Acton. Get on 495-3 to Woburn and live in a lovely community for that budget with a real community feel, and the schools are good and not pretentious. Best wishes on OPs move- is it IBM in Littleton? I've been seeing more and more people out walking and jogging around there, and it's so nice to see people working there again, after Digital/HP/Compaq passing through.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,591,348 times
Meh, Burlington and Stoneham are more "North West" than "North Shore"--A little far to compare with Beverly, Salem, Danvers, Peabody, etc. You'll have more options in a town like Chelmsford, but Bedford or Burlington would still be good choices. Perhaps even Carlisle if you happen to find a smaller, "starter" home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts