U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,032 times

Advertisements

I have accepted a new position at work that involves me covering dealers in a territory consisting of New Hampshire and Maine. I currently live in Iowa, and vacationed in Boston last fall for the first time. Because the hwys run north and south only, I am told that living North of Boston is plenty feasible for this position. Therefore I am currently looking to buy a 2+ bedroom, 1.5+ bathroom place in the Medford / Somerville area. I will have a company car, so I sold my personal car, and want to be close to public transportation should I decide to venture into the city on weekends, etc. The majority of my driving will be North of the Medford / Somerville area, so I wanted to see what everyone thought of my plans to live in this area, and drive north 3-4 days a week to visit the territory I am covering. On the days I am not driving I will work from my house. My budget is <= $500,000 for a house/condo (providing the HOA dues aren't ridiculous). My realtor has mentioned that I should look at Saugus as I can get a lot for my money. I am really looking for an area where I can meet people, has a nice gym close by, has close access to public transportation into Boston, and is easy to commute North from without dealing with insane traffic.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Josh
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 PM

7,319 posts, read 7,436,342 times
If my driving job was in New Hampshire and Maine I would live in New Hampshire or Maine. Maine is a very large state.

But if public transportation in and out of Boston is your gig then any town/city north of Boston with pubic transportation would be fine.

Even Gloucester has a train that goes to Boston.
You might as well choose a city/town along the coast and enjoy the ocean and beaches as well as Boston.

There are three forms of public transportation. The B&M railroad. The MBTA (subway), and MBTA bus. Not all three service all cities/towns north of Boston.

If my job required driving to NH and Maine I would seek a residence north of the 128 highway.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 PM

3,321 posts, read 5,975,842 times
I echo unit's comments. If you're working from your home, there are tax advantages to being in NH, even if you rent.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 PM

I was leaning towards North Boston area (Station Landing/Somerville area), as this will only be an 18 month to 2 year assignment, and I wanted to live near a really cool and fun area. The lack of state income taxes is a nice benefit of living in NH, I agree, but I thought living near Boston would outweigh that benefit. I was also looking at Portsmouth, NH and more recently Manchester, NH (due to it having a major airport). I will have a company car, and I figured if I lived near Boston I wouldn't have a need for a personal car, whereas, if I lived in NH I would probably need to have a personal car, and this would offset lack of state income tax.

Would the traffic driving north from Station Landing/Somerville area be bad, or should I be ok?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:25 AM

7,319 posts, read 7,436,342 times
Maybe you should state what the rules are for the company car.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:44 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,953,134 times
Are you going into Boston 1-2 nights a week or 1-2x a month for fun? If it's the latter, I think it's crazy to live near BOS for a 1-2x a month visit and drive that much further each day to work plus having to pay extra MA income tax.

Agree with Unit 731... are you prohibited from using the car for any personal reasons at all? You might still be better off renting a car for the day or weekend if you need to use a car. BTW, if you live in the far out suburbs or towns outside Boston, you may need a car anyway for a lot of everyday stuff like grocery shopping, running errands, etc.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:57 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,601,874 times
A drive to Maine might take anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on location from the Boston area. Take a look at the MBTA commuter rail schedules to see if a place like Newburyport has enough service for your trips into Boston.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM

15,826 posts, read 28,168,183 times
I concur with the suggestion of living further north of the city, maybe in one of the beautiful North Shore towns (*not* Lynn).
Your budget could buy you a great deal in a townhouse or condo anywhere. But you say it's, at most, a 2-year assignment. Buying with an assumption of selling in two years could be a losing proposition.
There is no "North Boston." Somerville, while close to Boston (and abutting Cambridge, primarily) is its own town. The nicer parts of Somerville are in the west area on the redline, not north and nearer the highways.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 PM

I can use the company car for short trips, and I plan on getting groceries, running errands on my way home from work trips. I google mapped the various dealers in NH and ME that I need to visit from time to time, and the average travel time isn't that much difference from Medford/Somerville than from Manchester or Portsmouth because of the HWY system in NH. My only worry is the traffic, but I figure I will most likely be going against the heavier traffic when I head North in the morning, and South in the evenings. Again, I will be working out of my house at least one day a week, and traveling around 3-4 days a week. The company will cover all gas for work travel. I plan to visit the city at least every other weekend, and occasionally during the week for baseball games, etc if possible. I also want to live near by a nice gym, as I really enjoy working out.

The reason I am buying vs. renting is that my company's relo package makes it almost a no brainer. If I cannot sell the property when the time comes they offer a buy out. And any loss I have they will give me 1/2 of the amount. That fact, and the benefit associated with mortgage interest make buying an easy decision. I have also looked at rental prices in Medford/Somerville, and they are awfully steep.

I am leaning towards the Wellington Station/Station Landing area. I would consider any other suggested areas that have all of the following benefits: Close to a nice gym, close to T/public transportation into Boston, and easy access to Northbound HWY

Thanks,

Josh

Last edited by jjherting; 03-05-2012 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 03-06-2012, 07:05 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,686,707 times
I seem to be the only one, but I don't think it's a terrible idea. I'm assuming a couple of things though. First if that for longer trips up to northern Maine or NH you might stay overnight, that your time is fairly evenly split between the two states and that since you make your own schedule you can plan so that you aren't leaving at rush hour every day. If you get a little bit north before rush hour starts you shouldn't have a difficult time with traffic. I know a few people who work with customers in Maine/NH/Vermont and they find living in MA works for them. They do live further north then Somerville, but for a short term assignment if you really want to live near Boston, I say go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts