U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 03:28 PM

122 posts, read 269,594 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be staying in Dennis for a week during the mid to end of April. Can anyone give us suggestions on things to do there? We realize it will still be way to cold for swimming, boating, etc. but would love to get some feedback about the Cape at that time of year. Also, would a day trip to Nantucket or MV be worthwhile at that time of year? Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 PM

249 posts, read 742,361 times
If you're there a whole week, I think an island day trip is doable - things might be a little quiet pre-tourist season.

Natucket Daffodil Festival end of april
http://www.nantucketchamber.org/enjo...l_weekend.aspx

Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 AM

122 posts, read 269,594 times
Thanks for the reply. Do you prefer Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket? We haven't visited either one. Also, are most restaurants in the Dennisport area open in late April? Thanks

Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 AM

Nantucket is a much longer boat ride, which can be boring. I think it is more quaint, though. MV is more touristy, probably offers more to see/do.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 AM

6,324 posts, read 9,039,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass View Post
Nantucket is a much longer boat ride, which can be boring. I think it is more quaint, though. MV is more touristy, probably offers more to see/do.
If you get off the boat in Oak Bluffs and just wander around that area then yes it is VERY tourist-y. If you rent mopeds, bikes, or bring your car and explore the island there are many, many places outside of OB that are not touristy.

I really enjoy MV and I go there at least once a summer. It's a fun place with lots to offer. Conversely, I haven't been to Nantucket in at least a decade.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 AM

Yes, if you do MV be sure to get out to Edgartown, Aquinnah lighthouse, etc. There is a bus that runs around the island, but not sure of how often/where it runs in April. I wouldn't be inclined to bring a car.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:48 PM

1,859 posts, read 4,242,046 times
April is a good time of year on Cape. While not everything is open, lots will be. Some suggestions: Chatham. Do a Monomoy Seal Tour. Not only do you get great information about the seals but also great info about the changing topography of the Cape. While you are down there, stroll down Main Street. You can't be an al fresco lunch at the fish pier the cheapest and best ocean front restaurant in town if you are okay with dining in the rough. If picnic tables aren't you cup of tea, the Impudent Oyster or Squires are great as is Chatham Bars- CB is pricey but it's a nice splurge. Main Street in Hyannis is fun. Definitely has some hokey shops but it's touristy fun. Again, lots of dining options. For carnivores you can't beat The Brazilian Grille, Sea Street Cafe has become a new favorite for us- FABULOUS breakfasts. We also like Tugboats and The Black Cat down at the harbor. I am not sure if the artist shacks will be open at that point but it's worth a peak. We live in Sandwich and the downtown area is lovely and worth a day trip. A stop at the Glass Museum is a must. A walk through downtown to the Grist Mill and to admire in the colonial architecture and gift shops is a nice way to spend the day. Pairpoint Glass in Sagamore is a great spot to view glass blowing as is the Glass Studio on 6A Sandwich Glass Studio on Cape Cod - Michael Magyar - Watch Glassblowing. They do amazing. Their ocean balls are a very nice momento from a Cape Cod visit. The fish hatchery on 6a in Sandwich is pretty cool too. They raise trout for release into the wild. For dining, lots of choices. The Daniel Webster Inn downtown, the Dunbar Tea Room, Beth's Special Teas and the Brown Jug are all good choices. Personally I like a box lunch from Cafe Chew to enjoy down by the canal to watch the boats. Take a drive out to Sandy Neck and enjoy the views of the bay and gorgeous dunes and tidepools. On a clear day you can see over to P Town. The boardwalk is worth a visit too. There is a food trolley that parks on 6A that I have yet to try. I have never been to Nantucket. Yes, I know how bad am I. We used to vacation on the Vineyard every year and haven't been for quite some time. It's definitely more down to earth than Nantucket. But once it became a presidential playground we stopped going. Nantucket is very upscale and exclusive which isn't really my cup of tea but I do want to get over it as just from pictures it is quite obviously beautiful. Finally is PTown. I've never been there in April but it's a fun kitschy day trip. The drive there through the outer Cape is wonderful and you see the Cape in all it's natural glory. Enjoy!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:22 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,352,242 times
I wouldn't say there is a lot to do in Dennis but you're next door to Yarmouth and close to Hyannis if you're looking for touristy things to do and see.

As far is the islands go I prefer Nantucket. It's a smaller, more quaint island and I find MV to be much more touristy. Plus, I'm just not a fan of MV. You can get to Nantucket in under an hour using the high speed ferry out of Hyannis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts