Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 AM

8 posts, read 39,721 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience taking the road test at the Plymouth RMV? I am only interested in hearing from people who have taken the test at this RMV.

Any advice, my child took hers through her driving school and failed, so now she is trying directly through the Plymouth Registry. Any helpful info would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 30,158 times
Hi I took my road test at the Plymouth RMV yesterday , Sept 5 , 2012. I didn't do well in the parallel parking , backing up 50ft and three point turn. At the end i was told what my mistakes were and was told to re-schedule for another test. If you have over 3 errors on the score sheet during the road test , that is a fail and one will need to do it again.

You should get there early and have you forms filled out and have your documents and sponsor with you.

The pre - test will include checking your hand signals , car indicator light , brake lights , back up lights , head lights, horn, wiper and hand brake which should be in the center and accessible to the instructor.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:27 AM

24,464 posts, read 17,207,356 times
Yes but like 30 years ago.
The number one reason why kids fail is they didn't study the book enough, they drive to fast, and they need to practise practise practise. If parallel parking is not your best ability then by sure they will ask you to do it, so practise.
Driving a car safely can be a difficult skill to master and many of us take it for granted and still many should go back to school to relearn. USE YOUR DIRECTIONAL PEOPLE IT IS NOT THAT HARD!
So if your daughter failed maybe she is not ready yet to be let loose on the road. Failing the test is a heads up for her to study harder and get more experience.
Good luck.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:46 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Yes but like 30 years ago.
The number one reason why kids fail is they didn't study the book enough, they drive to fast, and they need to practise practise practise. If parallel parking is not your best ability then by sure they will ask you to do it, so practise.
Driving a car safely can be a difficult skill to master and many of us take it for granted and still many should go back to school to relearn. USE YOUR DIRECTIONAL PEOPLE IT IS NOT THAT HARD!
So if your daughter failed maybe she is not ready yet to be let loose on the road. Failing the test is a heads up for her to study harder and get more experience.
Good luck.
Excellent post!!

If your daughter isn't comfortable or good with basic driving skills (like parallel parking, signalling, backing up etc...) then she will only be a danger to herself and others sharing the roads with her. Please take the time and keep her company while she drives around helping you do your daily errands.

A drivers license isn't a right, it's a privilege that needs to be earned.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:15 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,750 times
My sons' driving school booked at both Plymouth and Yarmouth. Some of the people who administer the test split time between the two.

I can't speak to the course but I can speak to the expectations of those who will be in the car, testing your child, straight from the mouth of the owner of the driving school.

Mistakes with parallel parking and backing up can and will be overlooked IF the student exhibits proficiency and confidence while driving. Testers want to see that your child has had the expected amount of time behind the wheel with both a driving instructor and another adult. Many parents think it is the job of the driving school to prepare their child but quite honestly, the 40 hours of required driving time with parents is even more important. Often the mistakes mentioned are cited as reasons for failing but honestly, they are just concrete reasons the instructor can give when they are not sure your child is ready for the road.

The kids that I have known that have failed (some in Plymouth) were those that did not have enough driving experience.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:56 PM

422 posts, read 1,475,072 times
I think plymouth DMV is a relatively easy test center. Theres hardly any traffic around the industrial area. The parallel parking test station is quite wide and at the far end of the parking lot so there will be no other traffic around while you are doing the parallel parking. Just take note of the many stop signs around the Plymouth DMV and the speed limit. Also, remember your hand signals cos that's the first thing you'll be tested on.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:07 PM

11 posts, read 49,794 times
I took my driving test in Plymouth in like 2002 and failed. Then took it in Quincy about a month later and passed it. Parallel parking screwed me in the Plymouth one haha.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 29,049 times
I have read many different sites and reviews about this registry and the road tests. I think they should be tough and intimating. Your child is being tested on their ability to drive a deadly weapon and if they can not do that then, they shouldn't pass and quite frankly why would you want them to pass your child at that point. They work off of a checklist and if your child can not back up in a straight line or parallel park, that should not be over looked. I pay a lot of money and work hard to pay for my vehicle, not so that your kid that couldn't parallel park can back into and damage my car. This is a privilege, not to be given out to everyone. Everyday you drive and run into someone that makes you think "how does this person have their license????" I am thankful for though road test examiners!

Old 02-28-2013, 02:12 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,080,348 times
As mentioned, Plymouth is fairly easy due to the lack of very heavy traffic. And in general the driving tests are very simplistic. If your child failed, they need some more practice, not a different test site.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:57 AM

2 posts, read 23,109 times
Hi. I failed my driving test 2x in Nantucket (every time for a stupid minor and insignificant reason). I heard that the instructors from Plymouth are much better. Does anybody know if I have to go in there to schedule for a driving test...? Or is there a better phone number to reach them besides 800-858-3926?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts