Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 12,226 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I was recently accepted into UMASS Amherst and will be attending in the fall. I have lived in Northern California for my entire life. I have been doing some research but I am having a hard time figuring out what to expect.

Any helpful suggestions? Especially when it comes to the winter!

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 12:26 PM

131 posts, read 414,347 times
Default Welcome

First of all, are you staying in a dorm or renting? As a Freshman, you should probably plan on the dorm.

For winter, you need a parka, a dress coat, and gloves, hats, and boots. Ugg boots are very popular with the younger crowd. You can get some that are knockoffs for much less. You need a lighter weight jacket for fall and spring. You should probably wait till you get here to buy some of this stuff.

Those are the basics. Again, welcome.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:33 PM

Thanks!

I am actually a transfer student. I am 21. Going to try to stay on campus. Fingers crossed that works out!

I have visited the New England area during the Summer months, but never during the Winter. I am super excited about the upcoming experience!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:28 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,835 times
Wow, as much as I extol the virtues of Massachusetts, I imagine there must be a strong outside force compelling you to leave one of the best public university systems in the country (regardless of the recent financial troubles and tuition hikes). There really isn't a place in CA quite like Amherst. Maybe Chico but with real snow?

Old 03-31-2012, 07:33 PM

325 posts, read 925,021 times
This winter was no big deal- hardly any snow and relatively warm (I don't think it got below 10 degrees all winter). Last winter, we got buried in snow. UMass rarely closes due to snow - maybe once each winter.

If you live on campus, you don't have to worry about driving and lots of off-campus students take the free bus system. So you only need a winter jacket (one that repels moisture), boots, hat gloves/mittens- maybe a scarf and long underwear, depending how tough you are. January and February are the worst for temperatures and typically see more snow. Those can be cold mornings, especially if you have an 8:00 class. Daytime temps usually will get into the 30s though. I can tolerate the mid-upper 20s without a hat or gloves comfortably. However, when it is very cold and windy (not that often), it is pretty unbearable outside.

New England weather can be quite variable- it was in the 80s here last week, and I can remember a big snowstorm many years ago in May. You'll adjust pretty quickly, don't worry.

I would suggest a humidifier, since the air can be quite dry in the winter.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Wow, as much as I extol the virtues of Massachusetts, I imagine there must be a strong outside force compelling you to leave one of the best public university systems in the country (regardless of the recent financial troubles and tuition hikes). There really isn't a place in CA quite like Amherst. Maybe Chico but with real snow?
I am not exactly leaving the California school system... I will be attending UMASS on exchange for one year. My hope is that it will give me a chance to experience a different geographical area of the US. Having spent very little time outside of California it should definitely be an enlightening experience!

Old 03-31-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass View Post
This winter was no big deal- hardly any snow and relatively warm (I don't think it got below 10 degrees all winter). Last winter, we got buried in snow. UMass rarely closes due to snow - maybe once each winter.

If you live on campus, you don't have to worry about driving and lots of off-campus students take the free bus system. So you only need a winter jacket (one that repels moisture), boots, hat gloves/mittens- maybe a scarf and long underwear, depending how tough you are. January and February are the worst for temperatures and typically see more snow. Those can be cold mornings, especially if you have an 8:00 class. Daytime temps usually will get into the 30s though. I can tolerate the mid-upper 20s without a hat or gloves comfortably. However, when it is very cold and windy (not that often), it is pretty unbearable outside.

New England weather can be quite variable- it was in the 80s here last week, and I can remember a big snowstorm many years ago in May. You'll adjust pretty quickly, don't worry.

I would suggest a humidifier, since the air can be quite dry in the winter.
Thanks!!

Old 03-31-2012, 11:39 PM

8 posts, read 23,347 times
I have lived in Northern California for my entire life.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 AM

302 posts, read 868,558 times
One thing you should know is that UMASS has mandatory riots for the following reasons:

1. One of the Boston pro sports teams wins a championship

2. One of the Boston pro sports teams loses a championship

3. One of the Boston pro sports teams loses in the first round of the playoffs

4. One of the Boston pro sports teams doesn’t make the playoffs

Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,927 times
My daughter is a junior @ UMass Amherst. She transferred from University of DE after one semester. She LOVES it and lived on campus for three semesters. If you want to experience "the riots" which are just kids expressing joy or sadness, it usually happens at the largest dorm South West area. There are you tube videos (fireworks and all). Most kids move off campus after a year or two. The UMass Housing site lists many opportunities and has valuable information for off-campus housing. I believe 40% of students live off campus. Unlike many schools, they are known for their incredible food! Lobster on Halloween, late night food, Pita Pit stations and the like. It is very easy to get to Boston. The Peter Pan bus service runs directly into South Station, Boston. Skiing, Mountain climbing, The Dr. Seuss Museum and The Yankee Candle factory (to get inspired at Christmas) are all right there..............You should love your experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts