U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:39 AM

28 posts, read 131,474 times

Advertisements

Can you please tell me which are the top tourist destinations during the summer in Massachusetts?

I know that Nantucket is very popular.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:27 AM

4,657 posts, read 6,130,285 times
It depends on what you're looking for, of course. The Cape and Islands are popular to the point of being crowded. The Berkshires are a popular choice, as well. Tanglewood is a popular destination for music lovers.

I'd much rather venture into Maine or New Hampshire for the summer, though. Less crowded and only a little bit further away.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 AM

116 posts, read 303,426 times
Cape Ann is a top destination.

Cape Ann - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-06-2012, 01:31 AM

17,541 posts, read 30,854,321 times
Ocean water is much warmer on the Cape, up at Cape Ann and southern Maine, it's COLD.
If you're open to Nantucket, there's also Martha's Vineyard- beautiful beaches, warmer water, and a shorter ferry trip than Nantucket.
Of course, you'd need to make any reservations sooner, not later.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:11 AM

8,093 posts, read 12,558,826 times
Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Cape Cod, and the Berkshires are the most popular summer retreats. Of the four, I personally prefer MV and the Cape.

During the summer, if I go on vacation I like to be near the ocean so for me that eliminates the Berkshires. Plus, it's too rustic for my taste. I'm just not into that. I know plenty of people who love it out there though (mostly New Yorkers).

Nantucket is a longer ferry ride than MV and it's a big enough hassle to get to MV. I don't need to sit on a ferry any longer than necessary.

MV is great. It has a lot of different areas to it each of which have a totally different character. Oak Bluffs is super tourist-y with lots of t-shirt shops, ice cream places, etc. However, you can also head out to Menemsha which is extremely quiet and rural feeling. There's lots to see and do on MV and great bike trails as well.

Cape Cod is also great. Lots of different towns to explore. I also like the Cape because I don't feel quite as isolated as I do on MV. It's a hassle to get to the Cape but at least once you're there you don't have to hop on a ferry. Plus, you have your car and if you want your car on the islands you'll need to make a reservation WAY in advance. I love the Cape and for me at least, it's my top choice of the 4 for a summer vacation. Definitely plan way ahead and make reservations far in advance. People come from all over the northeast and around the country for summer and ferrys, hotels, etc. book up fast.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:49 PM

940 posts, read 1,841,695 times
I like Cape Ann for proximity and less traffic, and the fact that in 20-30 minutes I can be at a beach in Gloucester or grab a lunch in Rockport. But since it's more "in the backyard," and driving further makes it more of a vacation, the typical summer spots would be Cape Cod, Newport RI, and lake Winnipasaukee. Hoping to take the kids to North Conway this summer, there is a lot to do in the White Mountains (and it's cooler).

Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 AM

4,384 posts, read 5,786,981 times
Cape Cod would be typically the "top" destination. The thing about the Cape is that there are 15 towns with very distinct personalities. Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are top island destinations that often get lumped in together, but have very distinct personalitiews, too. I agree that Cape Ann is highly underrated, but I think locals want to keep it that way. Block Island is maybe the best kept secret out there. It's not as built up as MV or Nantucket, and a little less expensive. RI has the best beaches in NE in my opinion. Of course there's Newport. MA also has the Berkshires. Tanglewood in Lenox is popular, and there's plenty ob B & Bs out there, too but the surrounding area is perfect for camping as is Vermont. In NH, there is a small coastline, but the White Mountains and Lake Winni is gorgeus too, Maine has a beautiful coastline and beaches in the southern portion of the state, but there are some fun state and National parks inland if that's your thing. Wow have I rambled on enough?

Old 04-08-2012, 12:10 AM

17,541 posts, read 30,854,321 times
I love Oqunquit, Maine, a bit over the Mass. border. Beautiful beaches, not the little rocky harbor-type so many towns have, but a big broad beach with surf. Great restaurants and an urbane vibe.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:52 AM

304 posts, read 734,275 times
In the summers, I like Rockport, Newburyport, Newport (in RI), Walden Pond, and the Boston Common (Frog Pond is always fun with kids) and the Boston Harbor Islands are a fun day trip. Also, whale watching is awesome and popular in the summer-you can get a boat right out of Boston Harbor, or from Cape Cod or Cape Ann. I too prefer Maine/NH ove the Cape because the traffic issues getting onto/off of the Cape, and there is much more to do in Maine. For example, you can spend a couple of days on the Maine beaches of Old Orchard Beach, York Beach, or Oqunquit, and then drive an hour and half inland and you are in the White Mountains.
The Berkshires are lovely and Tanglewood is the best if you enjoy music.
Definitely wonderful to visit New England in the summer. There is sooo much to do.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:54 PM

258 posts, read 631,797 times
Can anyone add to this thread but with the caveat that we'd be traveling with a 2.5 year old? She's still taking pretty long afternoon naps, so we're looking for an area that wouldn't require a lot of driving around to do things (so that we could get out and back by 2pm or so on any given day without having to spending more than an 1/2 hour or so driving, walking for everything would be best), and also close to the beach (with warmer water, if possible). We like outdoors, beautiful architecture, historic sites, good food and not so much tourists... :P Given all of that, does Cape Cod/MV sound like a good bet? We'd be coming from Westchester County in NY, so trying to find something that's not too far away by car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts