Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 01:14 PM

7 posts, read 21,087 times

Advertisements

I read all the posts after haberstroh's and was surprised to see that no one responded to the comment about Sharon. Considered jewish and that's a negative? Really? I certainly hope that is not a prevailing attitude on this board.

Also wanted to add, very interesting information re: toxicity, thanks.

My sister and brother-in-law live in Hingham. Close to lovely nature reserves, beaches, great for walking the dog. THe traffic can be pretty bad but you can drive to Quincy and take the train in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 01:57 PM

967 posts, read 4,771,845 times
I agree, that is offensive!

Old 09-18-2007, 03:54 PM

270 posts, read 1,355,609 times
Default Hey...never meant to offend anyone!

I actually think that is the reason the schools are so good. (That is what my realtor explained to me) I guess I should have turned my wording around. Sorry! Now you do agree that the town is considered Jewish? If you do a quick search on this board there are plenty of threads suggesting Sharon to Jewish families. That is all I meant to say!
Also, these boards are very helpful in preparing your house search but it means nothing until you actually go see the towns and houses for yourself (and finally live there). The biggest problem in the whole Boston metro area are the prices. Even now. So it is all about the compromise you are willing to make (i.e. commute, schools, green land, neighbors, pollution, convenience, water damage....to name just a few)

Old 09-19-2007, 08:55 AM

7 posts, read 21,087 times
OK--I see what you mean. Sometimes hard to tell. I read it as lumped in with expensive, or high taxes, so it was also a negative. I find that that is usually the case i.e. where there is a concentration of Jewish families the school system is high quality. I don't know Sharon, not having lived in the Boston area for many years, though I grew up there and went to college there. I imagine that it is expensive--its one of the most expensive areas in the country I believe, but living as I do in the NYC metro area nothing, except maybe Tokyo or London prices, would seem shockingly expensive to me. I was on the Massachusetts board because I would like to move and the area around Boston would be on the list because I still have family and friends there. Looking at western Massachusetts and upstate New York as well.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:11 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,064,435 times
I'd choose Holliston over Ashland. Better schools.

Both have football teams that could NOT capture the TVL title though! heehee

Old 09-21-2007, 08:35 AM

735 posts, read 3,491,559 times
Holliston is very nice and rural. Only issue is that it is a good 15-20 + minutes to the Pike...

Old 09-21-2007, 10:36 AM

202 posts, read 581,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftCreek View Post
I take back some of what I said. My wife is still curious about Newburyport. One of the people I will be working with lives there and says he drives in (6:30am) and it takes 40-45 minutes. Does anyone have info on that area? My wife thinks it's beautiful (and her best friend conveniently lives in Hampton, NH).

Thanks again :-)

If you are going to look at Newburyport definately check out Georgetown, the commute will not be pleasant, but then I am not sure it will be pleasant from anywhere. Lynnfield is a great tiny town, but I am not sure you can get much for 500K, might want to check it out though.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:53 PM
PDR

1 posts, read 1,904 times
Default Framingham schools getting bad rap

I cannot believe all I am reading about the Framingham schools, and wonder what towns these authors are living in which gives them the credibility to criticize the Framingham schools. The suggestion that while North Framingham has some nice areas "you are still in the city schools" suggests you can only get a good education if you are in a suburban district with a monolithic (i.e. white) student population.

We have three children in the public schools and have been very happy with the education. Boston Magazine, in their review of public school districts, rated Framingham at the top of several categories. MCAS (standardized test) scores can be misleading, as many of those taking the test in Framingham are newly arrived with English as a second language. If you compare apples to apples (i.e. primary English speakers) with any other school district, Framingham does fine.

Our children are in one of the schools in which a bilingual education is offered, with half the students native English speakers, half the children native Spanish speakers. By fifth grade everyone is bilingual, which is a gift that will last your child their lifetime.

We have friends with students in Wayland schools, Wellesley schools, Sudbury schools, and they do less in their AP science classes than our daughter did in her AP biology class. Framingham High, by virtue of its size, can offer classes in subjects many of these W-towns cannot.

You would have been amazed to see the show of support when budget cuts threatened some school programs, which ultimately were saved, but demonstrated how much a priority education is for Framingham residents.

If you value diversity, a convenient location, beautiful neighborhoods, and an excellent school system, then I would suggest you would do well to consider Framingham.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:55 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,461,779 times
Default In this electronic age... information overload... you can see everything from 1000s of miles away

Let me just throw in a few more towns to confuse you... Most of them closer to Boston also.

Needham, Belmont, Lexington, Bedford, Sharon, Westwood.... even Newton. Last of all, $500K is not out of the question for Wayland like others have mentioned.

Most of these town are just as good if not better than Southborough. You want only 0.4 acres (smaller yard). It does not sound you are concern about space between you and neighbors. Southborough may be a little too rural for you.

Btw... if your kid has a 145IQ, he is in the top 0.1% of population. It really does not matter which school they go to as long as they are challenged... [0.1% in MA means there are still 1000s of them....]

As to traffic... I suggest you log into a traffic site and look at where accidents occur and their estimate time based on the hours you travel.
TheBostonChannel.com - Traffic

There are traffic cameras that you can look to see how things are going...

Last edited by smarty; 09-24-2007 at 07:06 AM..

Old 09-24-2007, 10:04 AM

967 posts, read 4,771,845 times
I lived in Southborough, it's suburban, not rural. Needham is lovely too with easy access to Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts