Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 AM

92 posts, read 180,528 times

Advertisements

Also Tewksbury and Wilmington!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 AM

332 posts, read 1,018,577 times
Concord.
Great schools, and Im pretty sure there isnt too much helicopter parenting there, the high school is one of the best public ones in the state,

It is also a great community, lots of things to do.
there are two stops on the commuter rail into boston, which is about 1/2 hour ride.
There is almost no crime in the area, one of the safer areas in the boston area.
The house prices are in the upper spectrum of your budget, but i think it would be worth it.
I love concord, it would be toward the top of my list of places of where id want to raise a family, but its too expensive for me.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
In your price range and for the kind of schools you are seeking, Westford.

Last edited by RiverBird; 04-11-2012 at 08:33 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 08:11 PM

13 posts, read 28,917 times
Some great suggestions so far. THANKS! Keep them coming. Planning on going to Boston in June to start checking out some of these towns.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:01 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Concord or Acton. Certainly the budget is great for Acton. Littleton? Good schools but no helicoptering- people are down to earth. For that amount you could get anything you wanted in Littleton. Would have to drive a couple of miles for restaurants, etc., but not very far.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:22 AM

304 posts, read 774,434 times
If I could live anywhere in Mass, I'd say Manchester by the Sea. Such a beautiful town, and there is a train station right downtown that takes you to Boston. Lot of little shops/restaurants, a beautiful harbor and a beautiful beach (Singing Beach). Great school system, but since I don't know anyone that attends the schools I couldn't answer the helicopter parent question. It is a bit pricey though (which is why I don't live there myself!) But you should check it out.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 AM

940 posts, read 1,936,070 times
If you are coming for the visit you can see the whole North Shore in one day if you drive through the Essex Scenic Byway - from Nahant to Swampscott, Marblehead, Salem, Beverly, Manchester-by-the-sea, Gloucester, Rockport, Essex, Ipswich, Rowley, Newbury and Newburyport.

These are some of the most beautiful towns in Massachusetts, with lots of history and natural scenery. The further you go the more land you will find. They all have a train line connecting to Boston. Of those the best schools would be in Nahant/Swampscott, Marblehead, Manchester-by-the-sea/Essex, Newburyport. The further you go the more you will get for your money, but Marblehead and Manchester-by-the-sea are the most desirable and pricey.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 PM

130 posts, read 275,357 times
Hamilton MA which is next to Ipswich. I would pick Essex over Manchester by the sea since they both belong to the same school diatrict but a bit more affordable than Manchester by the sea.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:24 PM

13 posts, read 28,917 times
Thanks for all these great suggestions. Building a long list of places to visit.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 PM

133 posts, read 261,561 times
The western suburbs are good to very good from a school standpoint (Concord, Lexington, Lincoln, Weston, Wayland) and many are connected to the city via commuter rail. The towns are expensive but they will have a small number of houses in that price range. Concord and Lexington have town centers that are pretty vibrant. Wayland and Lincoln are more bedroom communities. Winchester (more to the north) may have some houses in that range -- I'm not sure. All these towns will be relatively low on the crime scale. Here is a rating of school systems in the Boston area: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/best-s...ton/index.html. Take it with a grain of salt, but the rankings are not crazy.

Based upon your description, I might have suggested Amherst (lovely town), but there is no public transportation other than buses. My suggestion is to stay in the Boston metropolitan area, but in the exurbs. Because you don't need to commute, , you could live a little farther out from Boston in the exurbs. Acton and Harvard have very good schools as well but the prices are lower.

There are probably towns at the far reaches of Fairfield County, CT that might qualify but I don't know those towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts