Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 11:06 AM

22 posts, read 128,051 times

Advertisements

I found two (relatively) reasonably-priced apartments, one in Framingham and the other in North Leominster. This will be a short-term solution until I find a more suitable and convenient apartment in Cambridge, one that allows a large dog. I have never been to Massachusetts, so I was hoping you would tell me which of the two would you recommend - Framingham or North Leominster?

To make a decision, I need to know information that I can't find out from a distance.
- Like, one of them is a toll road but if I were to avoid toll, how inconvenient would the alternative be?
- How much will it cost me to take public transportation into Cambridge one way from either Framingham or North Leominster?
- Can I drive to some T-station, park there and take the T into Cambridge? In which case, which T-station would that be from Framingham/North Leominster? How expensive would it be to park at the T-station?
- Is either Framingham or North Leominster a big no-no in terms of safety?

Basically, me making that decision is like making a decision to live in some part of China I have never been to. I have never been anywhere near Mass either. So I am hoping you guys have some suggestions on whether to choose Framingham or North Leominster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 03:47 PM

18,671 posts, read 33,286,569 times
They are both a good distance for driving or train. If you work normal business hours, driving off the toll road would likely be quite a mess. Where in Cambridge are you trying to go? That matters, too, as a lot of the traffic can simply be getting through Cambridge at those hours.
The commuter rail runs through both towns. I'd say the part of Leominster that borders Fitchburg can get sketchy, the further from Fitchburg, the better.
Also, it sounds like the dog will be home alone all day? Add in an hour or plus to for working, and that's a long day for a big dog in an apartment. I think it could be very isolating to live in either place, so far from where you work and your dog. A reasonable rent in Cambridge (never mind with a dog) isn't likely, depending on what you call reasonable. I'd vote for living closer in toward town and maybe paying more than you'd like (remember, your commuting costs will be much less, whether driving the Pike/gas or the commuter train, which can be pricy). Have you considered Waltham? Practically right next to Cambridge, a lot of apartments, a nice little downtown movie/restaurant scene. I just picture OP as living in a downscale suburbo backwater, commuting for hours and the dog becoming impossible to keep.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:21 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,241,508 times
Those commutes would not be fun, but if you had to choose one, choose Framingham.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:20 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,881,007 times
Agree with Wxjay on the commutes. Especially agree with Brightdoglover on considering other options, like Waltham. If Waltham grabs your interest, you might also check out Watertown, though its downtown restaurant scene may still have to catch up some to Waltham's, as Watertown seems to have been discovered by young professionals more recently than Waltham.

Farther from Cambridge than either Waltham or Watertown, but still significantly closer than Leominster and probably a bit closer than Framingham for a commute to Cambridge, you might check out Maynard. It's a small town, but has a bit of collection of restaurants, and may have housing that's fairly reasonably priced since it's an old blue-collar town which has been discovered in recent years by former yuppies starting families and wanting to move out of the city, which still has some blue-collar folks, and has not yet become so affluent as to drive housing costs through the roof.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:34 PM

925 posts, read 2,737,300 times
I'd second the vote for Waltham. Also, if you're having trouble finding a place to accept large dogs you might try to find rentals through individual homeowners vs large complexes. You can check places like craigslist, boston.com, and realtor.com to find some. Best of luck!

Old 04-19-2012, 06:57 PM

278 posts, read 701,846 times
Framingham for sure, not that its a great choice either.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 PM

Thank you everyone! That is very helpful!

Old 04-20-2012, 07:14 AM

1,691 posts, read 2,893,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2forum View Post
I found two (relatively) reasonably-priced apartments, one in Framingham and the other in North Leominster. This will be a short-term solution until I find a more suitable and convenient apartment in Cambridge, one that allows a large dog. I have never been to Massachusetts, so I was hoping you would tell me which of the two would you recommend - Framingham or North Leominster?

To make a decision, I need to know information that I can't find out from a distance.
- Like, one of them is a toll road but if I were to avoid toll, how inconvenient would the alternative be?
- How much will it cost me to take public transportation into Cambridge one way from either Framingham or North Leominster?
- Can I drive to some T-station, park there and take the T into Cambridge? In which case, which T-station would that be from Framingham/North Leominster? How expensive would it be to park at the T-station?
- Is either Framingham or North Leominster a big no-no in terms of safety?

Basically, me making that decision is like making a decision to live in some part of China I have never been to. I have never been anywhere near Mass either. So I am hoping you guys have some suggestions on whether to choose Framingham or North Leominster.
If you are commuting to Cambridge, N. Leominster will be a better bet. You can take the commuter rail from Leominster (free parking) to Porter or North Station, depending on where in Cambridge you work. The pass will be expensive though, like $250/mo

If you live in Framingham, you will need to get on the Red Line and travel through the city because the train goes into South station. That pass is #210/mo.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:43 PM

I seem to have bad luck. The place in Leominster is gone, already rented out. The place in Framingham is gone too, rented out by someone else

A new place has opened up in Malden. I am hearing handicapped and from a really super-rural area. Never even visited any city as such. How safe is Malden? If Malden is safe, I will take this place!

Old 04-21-2012, 09:06 AM

18,671 posts, read 33,286,569 times
I posted in your other thread about parking. Malden is fine. Nothing really bad as cities go, walkable and Orange train to red line to Harvard is very simple. A nice park (Fellsway). It's a big area, so the walking could go on a lot! But very walkable. (I worked in Malden for two years and had a couple of friends living there. It seemed fine to me, and I work nights). Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts