Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times

Advertisements

Taxes are higher in NY partly because there's so much more government to support--big county government, sometimes village government within the town, autonomous school districts and, of course, the all-pork government presiding in Albany. Mass is cheaper and, despite the legends, more honest, but due for a reckoning--either the taxes go up or the thousands of shockingly rusted bridges you pass beneath on state highways will start collapsing. Fortunately no county govt in Mass, which is a cesspool of unaccountable, kickback-laden business-politics. Town governance is a relatively simple and transparent system. Hooray for New England!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:31 AM

628 posts, read 663,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Taxes are higher in NY partly because there's so much more government to support--big county government, sometimes village government within the town, autonomous school districts and, of course, the all-pork government presiding in Albany. Mass is cheaper and, despite the legends, more honest, but due for a reckoning--either the taxes go up or the thousands of shockingly rusted bridges you pass beneath on state highways will start collapsing. Fortunately no county govt in Mass, which is a cesspool of unaccountable, kickback-laden business-politics. Town governance is a relatively simple and transparent system. Hooray for New England!
There's a lot of truth in here.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent s View Post
The winters are much less harsh in Worcester vs. Syracuse. Syracuse is like living in a snow globe. It does not snow nearly that much in Worcester, however we still get a good amount of snow. Winters are definitely gray here however.
Worcester is much sunnier in the winter than Syracuse.

Quote:
One thing you will notice about the Worcester area is, that there are other things besides dairy farms in the surrounding towns. When you go 10 miles outside Syracuse in any direction, and you are in farmland. Maybe that will happen to an extent if you to 10 miles west of Worcester, but anywhere east is further and further into the suburbs of Boston.
If you go west of Worcester it's much more forested and less farmed than around Syracuse.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Worcester is much sunnier in the winter than Syracuse.

If you go west of Worcester it's much more forested and less farmed than around Syracuse.
You mean "more farmed" than Syracuse I presume.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
You mean "more farmed" than Syracuse I presume.
No, I mean less farmed. That's one of the largest differences I noticed between upstate NY and western/central MA.

Look at the satellite view of Syracuse compared to Worcester at about the same scale.

The light green and orange patches are farmland, dark green forest. A lot more around Syracuse. 150 years there would have been a lot more farmland outside of Worcester; it's been mostly abandoned.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No, I mean less farmed. That's one of the largest differences I noticed between upstate NY and western/central MA.

Look at the satellite view of Syracuse compared to Worcester at about the same scale.

The light green and orange patches are farmland, dark green forest. A lot more around Syracuse. 150 years there would have been a lot more farmland outside of Worcester; it's been mostly abandoned.
If you are saying that Syracuse/CNY is more rural than Worcester/cent, west mass, than we are in disagreement.

Not sure that link really proves a point either way. Still, I'm always looking for a chance to learn so the map is interesting.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
If you are saying that Syracuse/CNY is more rural than Worcester/cent, west mass, than we are in disagreement.
Did not say that. I'm saying the surrounding rural / less developed land outside Syracuse and Central New York contains much more farmland; Central Massachusetts is more forested than farmland.

Quote:
Not sure that link really proves a point either way. Still, I'm always looking for a chance to learn so the map is interesting.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:49 PM

121 posts, read 295,247 times
I believe there are taxes on cars and personal property in MA? Is that significant or just a nominal amount per year?

Old 04-19-2012, 06:51 PM

278 posts, read 703,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram79 View Post
I believe there are taxes on cars and personal property in MA? Is that significant or just a nominal amount per year?
its really just vehicles that are taxed. It can be significant if you have a new car, but once it is 4-5 years old, it is not really much at all. On our new car, that had an MSRP of around $18k, I think the taxes in the first year were like $250. It goes down from there, and by the 5th year (model year, not year you've owned it), it should be down around $40-50 for the year.

My 2000 model year car, with a $21k MSRP, is about $40 a year in taxes.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:04 PM

121 posts, read 295,247 times
So would a household income of say 70 k per yr for a family with 2 kids be enough or is it way too low?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts