U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2012, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 865 times
Default Got a job in Ipswich...Need living suggestions!

Let me start off by saying this is my first official post (yee haw!), but I have been ghosting for a while now (great site with great info!).

My fiance was recently hired by New England Biolabs in Ipswich, MA. We are moving from Burlington, VT to the North Shore area. That being said, we have a somewhat picky criteria :/ I figured I'd ask all of you for some advice!

Our max rent is 1300ish give or take 50 bucks. One to two bedrooms would do.
We'd love a yard of some sort for our soon to be new dog.
Commuter rail would be a plus, but not necessary.
We're thinking somewhere between Ipswich and Boston would be great (I need a job and will most likely be a financial job in Boston).

We're currently looking into Danvers, Beverly, Salem. Any other suggestions???

We're kind of clueless here as we've been Vermonters the last 5 years or so

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 11:32 AM

116 posts, read 133,793 times
Check out all the nearby towns including Ipswich and see which one fits best, most of them are near the commuter rail:

Essex, Hamilton, Wenham, Rowley, Manchester, Gloucester, Boxford, Newbury, Georgetown.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:56 PM

7,408 posts, read 5,039,773 times
There is "affordable" housing in Ipswich on rte 1A near the intersection with rte 133. To me, it's kind of expensive and doesn't offer much but it's new and would be a decent location. It was built by the YMCA last year.

Other than that, the area is pretty expensive although I don't know about Danvers, Beverly, and Salem. They might be cheaper.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:14 AM

940 posts, read 784,115 times
The bigger the search area - the more chances you will have of finding something that you will like. All of these towns on the North Shore have something to offer, and there are two MBTA lines going to Boston from Gloucester and Newburyport which merge in Beverly. Beverly has a lot of rentals buildings downtown, which is near a train station. The towns you are looking at are likely to have more rentals available, as the other ones mentioned have more single family homes. With your budget you wouldn't be able to find a house, may be an apartment in a dog friendly single home, if you are lucky. Beverly and Salem have dog parks, if that helps.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:15 AM

9,955 posts, read 13,539,889 times
I'd hesitate about getting a dog before getting a place. Unfortunately, it can be very difficult to rent with a dog. It's one reason I waited to get dogs until I bought a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts