Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 12,935 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Me and my wife are moving to Mass. Will be starting a new job in brockton.

Can someone suggest places we should look at or consider moving to?
Here's what we are looking for.

1. Relatively younger community.
2. Safety is apriority.
3. Close to train stations.

Looking to find a place to live:
1.Budget $3,000 / month
2.2 Bedroom Apts.
3. Safe community
4. Driveable Distance to Brockton.

Can you please suggest locations/towns/cities we should try and find a place in?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 12:51 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Bridgewater/Lakeville area? Brockton has had some safety issues, so you'll want to stay out of there.

If you want to be closer to Boston, somewhere like Braintree or Canton would work.

Here's a link to the train schedule in the Brockton area:

http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/r...route=OLCOLONY

Old 05-02-2012, 01:15 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times
CaseyB's Bridgewater suggestion is a good one. The college in town makes it an ideal place to find younger people and also means there are plenty of rentals. B'water is attractive for young professionals because there is a train station in town (2 stops from downtown Brockton) and it's a bit cheaper than some of the more well-to-do suburbs. I actually have a few friends in their mid-late 20s who own homes in Bridgewater and love it.

Quincy may work too. What's nice about Quincy is that you have the subway connection to Boston as well as the commuter rail to Brockton and Boston. It's about a 25 minute drive from Quincy Center to downtown Brockton with no traffic. Traffic can sometimes be an issue, but since you'll be commuting south, you won't be traveling in the same direction as the morning and afternoon rush. Quincy is more urban than Bridgewater, but it's safe and prices are fairly reasonable. There's also a bit more to do (I already mentioned the subway connection to downtown Boston, but there's plenty to do in Quincy as well). If Quincy is too urban for your tastes, Braintree would also be a good suggestion. A lot of the positives of Quincy (subway, commuter rail, shopping, dining, etc) just a little less urban.

Although it's a little bit further, Plymouth might be really appealing. The caveat is that it's about a 40-45 minute drive from downtown Plymouth to downtown Brockton. If that's too far, North Plymouth and even Kingston are about 30-35 minutes away from Brockton while still being close to Plymouth. Plymouth is a nice coastal location and it has a good deal going on downtown (shops, bars, restaurants, etc) to make it appealing for younger adults. It also has a train connection to Boston.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:04 PM

131 posts, read 414,165 times
Default Abington

You could find anything you want in Abington which borders Brockton and is safe. It has a stop on the commuter rail. You didn't mention schools so it would be perfect.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:12 PM

238 posts, read 414,595 times
I would suggest moving west. Mansfield comes to mind. I lived in Bridgewater for 3 years and although it's safe, I do not like the entire Brockton-to-Fall-River corridor and find the people and traffic to be harsher in that area than other places I've lived in Eastern Massachusetts. Even though Bridgewater has the college, it is not a college town in the sense of Amherst or something like that. They're trying to get more kids to live on campus with new dorms, but still the majority of the students are from the Brockton-Taunton-Fall River area which gives the town a rough feel, in my opinion.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:00 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
For that budget, $3K for two bedrooms, OP should be able to live wherever they want! How about Easton?
Agree about the Brockton-Fall River corridor. With such a budget, no need to live there.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:57 AM

374 posts, read 654,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar6679 View Post
Hello everyone,

Me and my wife are moving to Mass. Will be starting a new job in brockton.

Can someone suggest places we should look at or consider moving to?
Here's what we are looking for.

1. Relatively younger community.
2. Safety is apriority.
3. Close to train stations.

Looking to find a place to live:
1.Budget $3,000 / month
2.2 Bedroom Apts.
3. Safe community
4. Driveable Distance to Brockton.

Can you please suggest locations/towns/cities we should try and find a place in?

Thank you in advance.
I would skip Bridgewater. For your budget you can buy.

I would recommend that you buy in Sharon, Canton or perhaps Stoughton. Sharon or Canton are definitely more desirable.

Anyone telling you Bridgewater has not thought about the school system. I just saw people ranking Abington very low in another post. Abington is adjacent to Brockton. Abington is considered to be SUPERIOR to Bridgewater by most people in the area.

The Brockton school system has high ratings. You can actually buy a Soco loft or any other condo downtown for very cheap prices. This puts you next to the train station and the bus station. However, it is not like living in Boston near a train station.

Go for canton or sharon.

Bill

Old 05-03-2012, 05:00 AM

374 posts, read 654,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
CaseyB's Bridgewater suggestion is a good one. The college in town makes it an ideal place to find younger people and also means there are plenty of rentals. B'water is attractive for young professionals because there is a train station in town (2 stops from downtown Brockton) and it's a bit cheaper than some of the more well-to-do suburbs. I actually have a few friends in their mid-late 20s who own homes in Bridgewater and love it.

Quincy may work too. What's nice about Quincy is that you have the subway connection to Boston as well as the commuter rail to Brockton and Boston. It's about a 25 minute drive from Quincy Center to downtown Brockton with no traffic. Traffic can sometimes be an issue, but since you'll be commuting south, you won't be traveling in the same direction as the morning and afternoon rush. Quincy is more urban than Bridgewater, but it's safe and prices are fairly reasonable. There's also a bit more to do (I already mentioned the subway connection to downtown Boston, but there's plenty to do in Quincy as well). If Quincy is too urban for your tastes, Braintree would also be a good suggestion. A lot of the positives of Quincy (subway, commuter rail, shopping, dining, etc) just a little less urban.

Although it's a little bit further, Plymouth might be really appealing. The caveat is that it's about a 40-45 minute drive from downtown Plymouth to downtown Brockton. If that's too far, North Plymouth and even Kingston are about 30-35 minutes away from Brockton while still being close to Plymouth. Plymouth is a nice coastal location and it has a good deal going on downtown (shops, bars, restaurants, etc) to make it appealing for younger adults. It also has a train connection to Boston.
Plymouth is more than 30 to 40 minutes from Brockton. IT would also depend heavily on the actual location in Plymouth and the proximity to PAVED roads. I would skip Plymouth or Quincy. This is asking for commuting trouble.

Bill

Old 05-03-2012, 02:59 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ey View Post
I would skip Bridgewater. For your budget you can buy.
So what? They mentioned nothing about buying. And with their budget, they have a choice in Bridgewater. Regardless, it's more affordable than many (most) places.

Quote:
Anyone telling you Bridgewater has not thought about the school system.
There was never a single mention of children or schools being important to them. Thus the recommendation.

The OP didn't ask about schools nor did they list them in either list of their priorities. Bridgewater fits every one of their other criteria. If they don't have kids or aren't planning to right away, who cares about the schools?

Quote:
I would recommend that you buy in Sharon, Canton or perhaps Stoughton. Sharon or Canton are definitely more desirable.
More desirable to whom? You? Did you read their criteria? The OP asked for towns with a younger population. Sharon and Canton are hardly lively communities with younger people. They're great towns with good schools; but they're fairly quiet family communities.

As a professional in my mid 20s with no kids (either now or in the foreseeable future), I would MUCH rather live in Bridgewater where there are more people my age, my dollar goes further, it's perfectly safe, and it has a decent downtown area with some good restaurants and bars. Not to mention a college, good highway access, and rail connection to Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ey View Post
Plymouth is more than 30 to 40 minutes from Brockton. IT would also depend heavily on the actual location in Plymouth and the proximity to PAVED roads. I would skip Plymouth or Quincy. This is asking for commuting trouble.
If you read my post I stated that that driving time was from downtown Plymouth to downtown Brockton. That's about a 30-40 minute drive. Plymouth is massive geographically speaking. But I'd be willing to bet that most people looking to rent are going to find more choices near downtown where it's more built up. Not out on unpaved roads in the boonies near Myles Standish.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:23 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
That's quite a bit to spend a month. Are you sure you want to pay that high given the economy? I'd hate to ask but where are you exactly moving from? I ask because that might give a greater indication of what you want and might expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts