Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:05 PM
MEM MEM started this thread

123 posts, read 404,303 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We put our house on the market last week and expected to have about 6 months to switch jobs and figure out where we wanted to move to.

We just signed an offer today and if all goes well we have to be out of here in a month. We are not prepared to buy so soon b/c we don't know where we want to be yet.

Does anyone know of any places that do month to month rentals? Or maybe even a 6 month rental? We'd consider most places in the Metrowest, preferably west or north if possible though. Or does anyone know places to call or online to look??

Thanks for any help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 02:30 PM

458 posts, read 2,282,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post
Hi all,

We put our house on the market last week and expected to have about 6 months to switch jobs and figure out where we wanted to move to.

We just signed an offer today and if all goes well we have to be out of here in a month. We are not prepared to buy so soon b/c we don't know where we want to be yet.

Does anyone know of any places that do month to month rentals? Or maybe even a 6 month rental? We'd consider most places in the Metrowest, preferably west or north if possible though. Or does anyone know places to call or online to look??

Thanks for any help!!!
The same thing just happened to us in Worcester and the best source of short-term rentals I found is Craig's List--but you'll have to send a "winning" email to each of the rentals listed and share your dilemma and let them know what a good tenant you are. Many people will consider a short-term rental if you are willing to pay another $100 / month over their usual asking price.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:59 PM

212 posts, read 945,175 times
There is an apartment complex on Lexington Street in Waltham, near the Shaws supermarket, that offers month-to-month rentals. Sorry I can't remember the name, but a friend rented there when she left her husband and only stayed about 6 months. It's very convenient to Rte 128/Rte 2. She said it was a very decent place. There are hundreds of new apartments in the area, so I think they'll rent short-term, just to fill the units.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:46 PM

967 posts, read 4,769,817 times
I have a client who is willing to do a short-term rental of his two-bdrm 2-full bath, 2-half bath condo in N. Grafton for $1500/month, no pets. Maple/granite kitchen, central air, attached garage, prof finished basement, private patio, all updated windows/sliders, tile baths. Both bedrooms have their own full bath and walk-in closets. It's vacant now. It's a nice complex less than 2 miles from the Mass Pike & about 4 miles from the Commuter Rail. Please feel free to PM me with your email address and I'd be glad to send you photos. (There's no realtor fee; I'm just trying to help him out.)

Old 09-19-2007, 04:53 PM

18,601 posts, read 33,168,447 times
Look up Princeton Properties. I think they have three or so furnished, short-term buildings in Metrowest. I was looking while my house was built, but they didn't allow dogs.
Any decent rental realtor should be able to help you, also.

Look up "relocation agents" and enter, say, Acton, and you should get some names. Waltham (not so much Metrowest as close to Boston, although west close) has "luxury" short-term rentals, furnished or not. I know many travel RNs who have stayed there. Just can't remember the specific name. An internet search should turn up a lot.
Good luck! I live in NW, a bit north of genuine Metrowest. Orchards and farms, trees turning, and 45 minutes into the city on Route 2.

How about the Marriott Residence Suites, or are they too pricey? There's one in Westford, I know.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:35 PM

Thank you so much all for your help. I will look into what you suggested.

Scarletfire - N. Grafton is a little too west for my husband's commute. His commute is about an hour from Ashland so Grafton would be more and that probably isn't ideal. But thanks anyway!

I did look into a few of the extended stay hotels but they were too much $$. If we knew we were moving very soon it would be ok, but since it could take awhile for my husband to find a job I'd rather not go that route.

Thanks again!!!

Old 09-19-2007, 06:42 PM

MEM, What towns are you looking in?

Another thought in addition to searching Craigslist & Boston.com is that with the slow real estate market there are quite a few homesellers that would be happy to rent their homes during the fall and winter so they can cover their mortgage and then put it back on the market in the spring, so you might try checking out a few condos or homes for sale in the area you're interested in to see whether the owners are open to a rental. Of course not everyone who is selling has already moved to a new home and is paying two mortgages but there are bound to be plenty who have. Anyhow, it's worth a try!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:07 PM

Me again - I'm not sure what towns you're looking in but here are a few rentals I saw nearby to Ashland. (I wasn't sure if you meant your husband was commuting to Ashland?)

25 Winter St, Natick
small 3bd ranch home for rent
Ok with 6 mo rental
$1250/mo
Diane Bush, Carlson GMAC (774) 270-4177

Also, my husband told me that the owners of the house down the street from us who are selling are also open to a short-term rental. It's a cute place, 3 bedrooms, hardwood floors. It was already vacant when my husband saw it. I think they were asking $1800/month. We're in Sherborn, which is a pretty quick drive to Ashland. If you're interested please let me know and I'll jot down the contact info when I drive by tomorrow morning.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:29 PM

Thanks again scarletfire, you have been very helpful! I was trying to stay close to Ashland where we are now since my son is in school in Hopkinton and I would rather not switch him out or have a long drive to get him there.

That home in Natick sounds good and is about what we wanted to pay. Sherborn is beautiful but that is more than we want to pay. I want to save as much as I can to put towards our next purchase!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:08 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,061,139 times
What's your budget? We're in a larger house (3 kids) having sold our home in anticipation of a move out of MA that hasn't worked out for us yet in terms of timing. We're on a one year lease and have been here 4 months with a good possibility we'll have to break it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts