Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:52 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times

Advertisements

I remember the "bad" Lowell and went there anyway. Is The Dubliner still open?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 AM

5 posts, read 16,635 times
The Dub is still open! It's a great bar, isn't it?

Old 12-15-2007, 08:20 AM

240 posts, read 471,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes2385 View Post
"Topher, I agree with ur opinion. If you were raised in Massachusetts, like me, you know the lowdown."

I think many of us new residents were raised in MA. The "new" lowdown is that it's an affordable place to live where lots of young people flock to to buy their first condos and homes.

There seems to be an age gap here: those older folks who remember the "bad" Lowell way back when and the younger people who see it as emerging as a hip place to live.
Good point Irish.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I remember the "bad" Lowell and went there anyway. Is The Dubliner still open?
There was a movie crew in town this past spring, and they were filming "This Side of Truth" with Jennifer Garner inside the Dubliner. Here's a couple of pics:

This one is outside the Dubliner (they hung the "BAR" sign for the movie):

http://i37.tinypic.com/1zq36h3.jpg[URL="http://i37.tinypic.com/1zq36h3.jpg"][/URL]

And a closeup of Jennifer:

http://i36.tinypic.com/9bcf9t.jpg[URL="http://i36.tinypic.com/9bcf9t.jpg"][/URL]

Old 07-26-2008, 09:21 AM

6 posts, read 23,216 times
Default Not as bad as everyone makes it sound

Lowell is a city like any other. It has its good areas and bad areas. I have lived in lowell for 25 years, as have my family. I also worked and went to college there. My wife was also raised there. Never in our lives have we ever been in any danger or victims in any way. Like most cities, its not the place you want to take a night time stroll. However there are summer concerts in downtown at night which families and people of all ages attend safly every week. Just avoid the bad areas and you will do fine. The majority of the violence occurs between two rival gangs (Cambodian vs Brazilian) and they are located in the same area (called the Acre). Even there you are fine going during the day, though avoid it at night. My wife goes to Asian markets there all the time (she is caucasian). Stay away from the Acre and the area near the Dracut line. If you can find a place near the Tewksbury line or near downtown you will be perfectly safe.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:31 AM

9 posts, read 51,054 times
Default We love Lowell

We are a young married couple and have lived in many parts of Massachusetts. We absolutely love Lowell and the community and we feel safe here. Lots to do, good music, art, shops, cafes, sports, shows, etc. Everything is near by and everyday there is something new. We have enjoyed it here as much, if not more, than when we lived in the north end and harvard square. I would recommend at least checking it out! Good luck

Old 08-02-2008, 12:55 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
kbhit, it's nice to read something positive about Lowell from somebody who actually lives there Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbhit View Post
We are a young married couple and have lived in many parts of Massachusetts. We absolutely love Lowell and the community and we feel safe here. Lots to do, good music, art, shops, cafes, sports, shows, etc. Everything is near by and everyday there is something new. We have enjoyed it here as much, if not more, than when we lived in the north end and harvard square. I would recommend at least checking it out! Good luck

Old 08-02-2008, 04:38 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Psssh, who cares about Jennifer Garner? You got Ricky Gervais (The Office/Extras) in the top picture!

And Lowell isn't that bad, it's just more integrated than a majority of MA.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:04 AM

19 posts, read 73,057 times
Default I actually live in downtown Lowell

Downtown Lowell is IMO, a great place to live. I moved hear a while ago from another Boston suburb, and live in one of the old mill buildings. We paid a fantastic price for over 2000 sq ft condo. My wife, an occasional practitioner of the arts loves it here, as do I. Within walking distance are many decent restaurants, galleries, parks, walkways, and so forth. There's much to do without driving. We find the downtown area clean and safe, and well-patrolled by Lowell PD. We always see people of all ages out most of the day and into the night. We have no regrets on moving here; much more fun then a fancier bedroom community. Certainly there are a couple of bad areas of town, just like most cities. I've never had occasion to be in one, nor do I need to pass through them. In exchange for a little citiness, perhaps a bad reputation because of some areas, my total cost of living, including all fees, utilities, mortgage, parking, insurance, and taxes, is under $2K/mo, so I can put up with some urban pain. Plus it's easy to commute from Lowell, easier than from, say Salem. My only doubt would be if I had school age children, but we don't and moved here after our child graduated from HS elsewhere. Send me a PM if you'd like details.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:06 PM

19 posts, read 69,266 times
Lowell has a lot going for it. For crying out loud, its a college town filled with thousands of people in their late teens/twenties, so of course it's safe for a 23 year old female. It has a walkable downtown, flat topography, distinct neighborhoods, and lots of ethnic diversity. I love how some Massachusetts people consider any town/city with more than a token number of nonwhites as "the ghetto". I lived in the Lowell during grad school and worked for a nonprofit in the Acre during and after school and assure you that Lowell has no truly "rough parts". Run down and somewhat blighted, perhaps... but never once did I feel unsafe walking down the street. It's a working class town with a lot of heart, low cost of living, and easy access to NH and Boston. The downtown area will continue to improve with the redevelopment slated for the Jackson-Appleton-Middlesex area. Right now things tend to be quiet after 5pm (save for bars) but that'll change as more and more people with disposable income move downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts