U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-31-2012, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,493 times

Advertisements

I own a very well behaved German shepherd, but it seems impossible to rent a nice apt with her. Can anybody help me out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,258 times
I have a similar problem, I would love it if anyone had some good suggestions.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:45 PM

4,209 posts, read 6,161,008 times
Forget the complex and look at multi-family homes. Have the landlord meet the dog.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:03 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,900,252 times
I agree with Casey B--complexes are generally owned by LLCs or corporations, and they don't deviate from the rules. You'll be much more likely to find a multi-family house with an independent landlord, especially if owned locally.

Be ready to convince the landlord why your dog is different from all the bad things they've heard about the breed on the tv, newspapers and their brother's cousin's wife's son-in-law. The horror stories are what they're going to remember-it's your job to be an advocate for your dog. Have references from your veterinarian, your present landlord (if you're renting) and anyone else who comes into contact with your dog (trainer, boarding facility, etc).

I convinced the owner of a 'small dog considered' single-family home to rent to my family with our 2 German Shepherds, by showing him the Canine Good Citizen awards, the letters from their vet, and a short video of me working them on and off leash. It's not easy, but it can be done. You may need to purchase a special insurance rider because when accidents happen, people tend to sue based on the breed rather than the issue....

Old 06-03-2012, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,493 times
Thank you all very much

Old 12-10-2012, 02:14 AM

5 posts, read 11,090 times
Default Outside Help

Apartment Locators provide free assistance helping people such as yourself, with specific issues, to find the best apartment in Dallas that can take your breed of dog. Since 95% of all apartments normally consider this breed as "aggressive", they have banned them. But an apartment locator would know which 5% of properties CAN take all breeds. This saves you time calling thousands of properties yourself. And it's free! DALLAS BEST APARTMENTS. Best Apartments DFW. FREE Information on Dallas-Fort Worth Metro Apartments. Dallas apartments. Best apartments in Dallas. Apartments in DFW. Best apartments in DFW. .

Old 12-10-2012, 06:45 AM

971 posts, read 1,245,413 times
I've had a dog all of my life.

When I had to rent though, the dog went to parents home.

Landlords do not wish dogs for damage and liability.

The damage might be taken care of with a security deposit.

The liability is the tough one. The landlord may not even be able to obtain insurance.
If the renter has no assests then who is responsible for any dog bits?
That is the reality with renters and dogs.

Not all dogs bite. That is not true. Any dog can bite under various circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts