U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-23-2007, 10:11 AM

10 posts, read 20,539 times
Default Should I Move from Brookline to Waltham?

HI everybody,
I lived in Brookline for the past 2 years and absolutely love the area.
I have changed jobs and now need to commute to Waltham.

I tried taking 3 buses from Brookline but the location of the company is on West Street in waltham and the closest stop was the Totem Pond stop.
This leaves me with about 3 blocks to commute and I cannot walk since it is on the highway.

So I decided that I should move from Brookline to someplace close by to Waltham.

I have been reading the posts and realized that living in Waltham may not be a good idea. SO where should I look?
Lexington/Belmont/Watertown?

I am planning to invest in a car so I am looking for 15-20mt commute to work.

I am a young female who will be living alone So I am looking for safe neighbourhoods.

DOes anybody have any suggestions??

Thanks so much !
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 10:42 AM

212 posts, read 660,515 times
Waltham has many fine areas. There are a couple of colleges and very fine people in Waltham. But, like any city, there are run-down neighborhoods and areas where you may not feel comfortable. I would stay away from downtown Waltham and look at the Watertown side of the city. You may choose to live in Watertown and take a bus or drive into Waltham every day.

Waltham has a great theater, lots of neat restaurants and is a very diverse city.

Newton is a very safe city and is right next to Waltham. A very convenient location, but a little more expensive.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,703 times
I've lived in Brookline (on Beacon St. near Coolidge Cors.) and Waltham, in several places, from 128 area to City Common (i.e., as downtown as you can get.

But I'm an older gent. now, so not much of a target.

I've found no troubles, but walk only along Moody St, Main St.

Brandeis U and Stevens & Bently Cols. are hereabouts.

Lower property taxes here as there's a substantial industrial presence--but since Polaroid Co. (it's HQs formerly here) was sold, there's been a slight down-turn in the industrial base.

This is indeed a polyglot city. Birthplace of the industrial revolution (fabric mills started here--a base testbed here that then moved to Lowell), and of course Waltham Watch Co.

Korean, Hispanic, Island Hispanic, Vietnamese, some Cambodian, Polish...check census figures. This population mix is reflected in the dozens of restaurants along Moody St ("Restaurant Row").

As you're west of Rt 128, you might look around Kendall Green, new apartments on Toten Pond Road, Spy Pond, around Brandeis (South Street has a bunch of apts. Old but pleasant, and along the Charles River, so if you've got a Klepper (folding kayak) or canoe, it's a perfect place.

I think there's a 70A or 70 bus that goes to New England Journal of Medicine? or other north Waltham area along Winter Street (but check--I've never taken it) or elsewhere to the north.

In Waltham center, there's commuter rail to NorthStation (Fitchburg line) and 70 bus (and others--an express via Mass Pike to Boston, etc.)

I'm probably not the best of sources, but The9th@comcast.com will reach me.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:07 AM

10,049 posts, read 13,831,055 times
If you're getting a car, and love Brookline, by all means, stay in Brookline.
You will have to pay for parking of some sort- no overnight street parking in Brookline. Twice when I lived in Brookline (Fuller Street, University Road, oh, and Pond Avenue) I canvassed the neighborhood, knocking on doors and asking if anyone had a space to rent. Was able to find one in all cases, since I was living in older buildings that didn't have parking. Of course, if you live in a converted house or a more modern building, there will be parking with the property (although you might still have to pay).
Brookling is marvelous. I'd sure think twice before leaving it. It might take a bit longer than 15-20" to drive to Waltham for work (depending on what part of each town you need) but Brookline is such a grand place to live, especially for a single female.
The reason I moved (way back then) was because I got a great job in Cambridge, needed a car to get there due to location and hours, and all my friends lived in Cambridge at that time.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:58 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,312,079 times
I'm a little confused about the car situation too. You're taking the bus right now and it's not working out, so you want to move closer. But if you're going to buy a car anyway, then why not stay in Brookline? The commute's not that bad.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:02 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,312,079 times
If you're still interested in moving though, I would suggest West Newton. It's has easy hwy access to both 128 and the Pike, or you can just take local roads to those Waltham office parks in under 15 min. It's very safe (everywhere in Newton is) and has a lot of retail in their village downtown area. You're also a few min away from the great restaurant scene on Moody.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 15,194 times
Thanks everybody for your responses...
I don't have much driving experience and hence was hoping to move closer to work so that my commute would be manageable.
With a heavy heart I moved out of Brookline to Auburndale (in newton). There is just one bus that runs during the week (only till 6:30pm) and no weekend service.
But since I have a car now that is not a concern...
I really miss the busy, happening Brookline, Coolidge corner area.
The silence in this place is killing me....Hopefully I will learn to find peace in this silence soon :-)

Old 11-25-2007, 06:00 AM

6,947 posts, read 8,528,935 times
Aw, I'm sad to see that you didn't end up in Waltham. But just my .02 for people in the future who might be looking to live in the area:

I go to Brandeis which generally is pretty disconnected with the town (easier to take the free bus into Boston than wrestle with the tiny vans that shuttle us into Waltham) but I go in often. I never quite understood the stigmas against the town. Parts of the town in between Brandeis and Moody St. aren't the BEST areas in the world, but I have to qualms walking alone at night between the Hannaford on Main Street or Moody Street and Brandeis. I've felt more threatened walking alone at night to my old apartment between Porter and Harvard Squares!

Moody Street is a great place to hang out with many wonderful restaurants, ethnic grocery shops, and a pretty good theatre. Plus, Brandeis has one of the better drama programs in the country- especially for a college of our size- and almost every weekend there is a different play, musical ensemble, a cappella concert, or guest speaker that is open to the public. I'm sure Bentley also has an array of cultural offerings as well.

I hope you learn to like Auburndale! And good luck getting more comfortable behind the wheel. We're getting zipcars on campus so after 2 years of not driving, I'm going to have to relearn! Driving in Georgia is just not the same as driving in Boston!

Old 11-25-2007, 02:55 PM

735 posts, read 2,414,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meruni19 View Post
Thanks everybody for your responses...
I don't have much driving experience and hence was hoping to move closer to work so that my commute would be manageable.
With a heavy heart I moved out of Brookline to Auburndale (in newton). There is just one bus that runs during the week (only till 6:30pm) and no weekend service.
But since I have a car now that is not a concern...
I really miss the busy, happening Brookline, Coolidge corner area.
The silence in this place is killing me....Hopefully I will learn to find peace in this silence soon :-)
Ahh- I was just going to suggest Auburndale. I lived there for 2 years during my NY - MA transition (you know- the slow withdrawal method) I found the area to probably be one of the most convenient in the whole state. You're right at the interchange for 128/95/Pike- so with your new ride, can get places easily. Plenty of shopping in the area within a short drive, but yes...it won't be the same bustle of Brookline. Although as mentioned before- Brookline is much more suited for pedestrians and public transportation.

One weekend you should venture into Wellesley- the small town center is very nice and have a good look around your new surroundings. Newton Center is also fairly interesting with many restaurants and nice small stores.

And if you want more options, then just pick a direction and drive- north you have shopping in Burlington, west to Natick and pretty much every single store you could ever want and plenty of dining options, or east to the city. You can always catch the unbearably slow green line in- even heading back into your stomping grounds in Brookline- hoping to the C line or Chestnut Hill which has plenty to do....

I think you are in a good spot with an easy commute- good luck and make the most of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts