Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 03:47 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,041 times

Advertisements

First, please allow me to offer my sympathies to the City of Springfield, and the Officer's family and friends.
I live on Cape Cod, relatively far away from Springfield. Yet, I still believe this Officer's funeral deserved the same coverage as local firefighters have received. Obviously, WCVB does not concur as evidenced by this response to my email:
My email to Channel 5:
"Why does a Firefighter's death in the line of duty funeral deserve FULL wall-to-wall coverage by your station, but a Springfield Police Officers death - in the line of duty - does not?
Both professions serve and protect. Do you value a firefighter more than a police officer?
WTH is WRONG with you people?"

WCVB's response, via someone named Susan Warren:

"Dear Catherine:
WCVB has carried the funerals of police officers who have died in the line of duty in our viewing area in the past. This tragedy unfolded in the Springfield television market.

Thank you for your comments and for watching NewsCenter 5.
Sue
News Dept."

Really? Springfield isn't part of MASSACHUSETTS????
Springfield IS a city in Massachusetts. And this was a MASSACHUSETTS Police Officer who died in the line of duty.

I must be out of the loop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 04:10 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times
That is a shame, the Springfield stations usually will carry any firefighter or police funeral from all over the state. In any event i feel that it was a big news story regardless of what part of the state it happened to occur in.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:27 PM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
WCVB is a Boston station. They might cover something in Worcester, but Springfield is really out of the broadcast area. It should be covered by Springfield stations and Hartford as well as NECN.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:19 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
WCVB is a Boston station. They might cover something in Worcester, but Springfield is really out of the broadcast area. It should be covered by Springfield stations and Hartford as well as NECN.
I have to agree with Casey on this one. It's really not the same media market, even though it is the same state. Not much different between say, Tampa and Fort Myers, FL. About 2 hours apart by car, in the same state, but 2 distinct media markets.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:25 AM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
There was plenty of coverage of the actual incident. In fact, I remember it as breaking news. So it's not as if Boston ignored it.

The funeral is more of a community event. Furthermore, Springfield is not in the Boston media market. For those reasons, I agree with Casey and Bruins_Fan.

Terrible tragedy. It's amazing what a single selfish individual can do. His wife (or girlfriend, not sure) is now scarred for life both physically and emotionally and an entire community lost a man who was just doing his job.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 PM

30 posts, read 31,591 times
Its unfortunate that the officer died while he was on duty. His death was fully covered...by both, broadcasting stations and newspapers on this side of the state. The point of him being a "hero" was made loud and clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts