Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 06:03 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,503,768 times
Check out the stats on Citi-Data.com; that will paint your picture. All the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 06:30 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,554,734 times
Interesting! My mother stills lives in Stoughton and she says the entire region has gone to the dogs and gangs and non english speaking immigrants hot bedding in residential neighborhoods. Awful sad, really!

Old 09-26-2007, 08:11 PM

9,898 posts, read 15,461,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Interesting! My mother stills lives in Stoughton and she says the entire region has gone to the dogs and gangs and non english speaking immigrants hot bedding in residential neighborhoods. Awful sad, really!
I hear you, we bought a starter home in Stoughton in the early 80's (Sharon/Canton side of town). I can't believe how bad that area has gotten in such a short period of time. We left after 4 years because we didn't think the town would get any better. Is your mother planning to move?

Old 09-26-2007, 08:52 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,061,139 times
Even in the 10, almost 11 years we've lived here, I've seen Randolph go downhill. The Herald had an article today about the superintendent getting some huge payout on retiring (can't remember the details), yet the town can't afford to bus the kids to school?

I've driven by Stoughton HS. It looks like a prison from the outside. I work very close to Cobbs Corner and the part of Stoughton that is close to Canton/Sharon doesn't seem so bad. But I've not heard good things about the schools.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:21 PM

Oh, you work near Cobb's Corner? We lived right near there, on Bay Road.

For the other poster's - Cobb's Corner is where the towns of Canton, Stoughton and Sharon all meet.

Surprisingly, at least when we lived there, the elementary school seemed good. But it was fairly obvious that the secondary schools were going to be a problem. We were pretty young when we bought the house. I was 25 so I guess I could be forgiven for my stupidity?

Old 09-27-2007, 08:18 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,554,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I hear you, we bought a starter home in Stoughton in the early 80's (Sharon/Canton side of town). I can't believe how bad that area has gotten in such a short period of time. We left after 4 years because we didn't think the town would get any better. Is your mother planning to move?
Ma is happily married to a lifelong resident. They live down Winslow st. somewhere. I lived in the village, in Brockton for 3 years before I moved north in the mid 80's. It just horrifies me to see what southern new england has become. It seems every town except for the elite few, has turned for the worst.

The urban flight for elbow space or vacation homes is just beginning to have an impact in my sleepy little tourist area in Maine. The problems you guys have are just starting to rear their heads in the urban areas up here. Everywhere else, real estate has been bordering on the ridicules and doesn't reflect the local wages.

The political attitude that ruined Mass and New Hampshire has now crept into Maine and is beginning to change things for the worst. Many of the new comers up here are coming up with pensions, setting up small businesses etc. They can not understand why some people are so bitter and weary of the downhill slope we have been living through. That is fine, but they have not seen the absolute 180 degree change this region has experienced the last 30 years like I have. Entire towns that were booming have had the life sucked out of them with all the loss of business and industry. Couple that with an out of control state government.

Just maybe, they are not born and raised New Englanders. As a true native, it is our god given right to ***** about anything we want.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:59 AM

My son skates with a kid from Stoughton. The mom says they live near the Starbucks on 138, but I have no idea where. Nice enough kid but you should hear the entire family butcher the English language when they speak! Double negatives, dangling participles, etc. I've read her emails to the team and the writing is worse. You'd think the kids would at least get a better education. Not in Stoughton.

I don't know much about the Canton schools. People on this forum say they are better. I only know one person in Canton and she sent all 3 of her kids to Catholic school (Ursaline and Xaverian) once they hit HS.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:40 AM

I believe the Canton schools are still good, but I wonder if the crime rate has increased there because of all the turmoil in the surrounding towns?

Old 09-27-2007, 11:24 AM

Good question. But Canton is also bordered by Walpole, Westwood, Sharon and Dedham, isn't it?

(off to Cobb's Corner Sbux now for my mid-day caffeine fix)

Old 09-27-2007, 03:53 PM

142 posts, read 658,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I believe the Canton schools are still good, but I wonder if the crime rate has increased there because of all the turmoil in the surrounding towns?
Friends of mine who live in Canton really like the schools and the town. They've never mentioned problems affecting them from Stoughton or Randolph. To them, it seems Randolph and Stoughton to a certain degree have become magnet communities, and those changes are affecting the character of the communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts