U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,046 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any opinions on Pembroke? Looking to move there with small children and wondering if anyone has information regarding the town (The schools appear to do well) Didn't know if there were certain areas in the town to avoid..Thanks for any help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 05:08 AM

374 posts, read 514,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLife5 View Post
Anyone have any opinions on Pembroke? Looking to move there with small children and wondering if anyone has information regarding the town (The schools appear to do well) Didn't know if there were certain areas in the town to avoid..Thanks for any help..
It's Pembroke. How can you find anything wrong in there?

Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 AM

12 posts, read 74,785 times
Great town- Great people

Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 PM

31 posts, read 53,250 times
Pembroke is very nice, safe, near highway, near ocean. There is no bad area of Pembroke that I'm aware of.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:02 AM

44 posts, read 51,394 times
I'm researching Pembroke, and I don't have any concerns about crime etc., but I was wondering if there are any areas I should avoid for other reasons. For example, I see there is a Landfill on Hobomock Street.

I'm currently looking at a property that is approx. 1/2 mile Northwest of the landfill.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:15 PM

508 posts, read 641,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ey View Post
It's Pembroke. How can you find anything wrong in there?

Six arrested in two Pembroke drug raids - Quincy, MA - The Patriot Ledger

All you have to do is look. But I'm not bashing your comment, Pembroke is a great town. I just don't feel right leading someone to believe that this is a perfect town. I'm sure you didn't mean it was perfect but we need some context. I know quite a few people who grew up on the South Shore who wouldn't raise their kids there but it's more due to familiarity(Get away from the townies?). Overall though you can do much worse in the State,region,county. Pembroke is one of our better towns but it isn't sleep with the doors unlocked and let your children(teens) hang everywhere. The drug problem has been growing and looks to get worse based off the year-by-year reports.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:46 PM

675 posts, read 1,278,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Six arrested in two Pembroke drug raids - Quincy, MA - The Patriot Ledger

All you have to do is look. But I'm not bashing your comment, Pembroke is a great town. I just don't feel right leading someone to believe that this is a perfect town. I'm sure you didn't mean it was perfect but we need some context. I know quite a few people who grew up on the South Shore who wouldn't raise their kids there but it's more due to familiarity(Get away from the townies?). Overall though you can do much worse in the State,region,county. Pembroke is one of our better towns but it isn't sleep with the doors unlocked and let your children(teens) hang everywhere. The drug problem has been growing and looks to get worse based off the year-by-year reports.
The whole South Shore is affected by drugs, unfortunately, even the more desirable towns. I wouldn't let that deter you. (And I can't think of a single place where you would want to sleep with the doors unlocked!) Pembroke is a great community. A lot of my high school friends live there and it seems like there are a lot of families with kids and that neighbors tend to watch out for each other.

I don't know offhand any neighborhoods that are better or worse, maybe drive around, head to a playground and chitchat with some of the parents?

Old 12-09-2013, 08:23 PM

4,839 posts, read 9,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
(And I can't think of a single place where you would want to sleep with the doors unlocked!)
I sleep with my doors unlocked all the time (lived in Newton, Natick, Sudbury). I only lock up if I am the last one to leave the house.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:42 PM

675 posts, read 1,278,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I sleep with my doors unlocked all the time (lived in Newton, Natick, Sudbury). I only lock up if I am the last one to leave the house.
But then the zombies can get in!

Old 12-10-2013, 06:08 AM

1,879 posts, read 4,399,078 times
There are some old threads on Pembroke. I know the areas around the ponds with converted cottages were often considered less desirable. Pembroke is a great town. It flies under the radar partly because it is fairly expansive and some areas are not convenient for a Boston commute, others are neighborhoods tucked off of 53 and 139 which are more convenient to commute but can be problematic as those secondary roads can get very congested. It seems many people who inquire about south shore towns skip right over Pembroke and consider Hanover or Marshfield. I think it gets lumped with towns like Whitman and Hanson which some consider to be "the boonies" but are good options as well. Pembroke split from Silver Lake Regional School District about 10 years ago. I have heard little about the schools. I do know, back in the real estate boom, areas of Pembroke, that were convenient to route 3 saw neighborhoods of very large homes popping up. People who were priced out of the more desirable town of Hanover, would settle for a bigger house in Pembroke. I think Pembroke is a great option but it would take some looking around to see which area is best suited to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or