Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 04:26 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haberstroh View Post
I have followed your thread for a little while but don't know all the details. But I feel like I can give you my advise since we just moved here from NJ. I do say move to MA because I love Boston and MA and it is just so beautiful here now in the fall (and all other season). Our's was a company transfer and a lot of things were paid for but I still have to warn you of the costs. Just to move our small 3 BDR house cost us $10000 (I choose the lowest bidding moving company and the actual costs were $4000 more then the appraisal) That includes insurance, storage, prompt delivery fees and some unpacking. Of course you can do it yourself and save a lot of money but you will pay in other ways (back pain, argument with spouse, unhappy kids etc). Then comes all the costs when you arrive like house purchase and closing costs, or if you rent first months, last months, security deposit (that can be anything from $6000 to $10000 depending on your rent), new car registration, license and inspection fee, sometimes car taxes, fees for new sports club and gym membership ;-), some town fees, little repairs and some new decorations and furniture (not a must of course) and a lot more. I wonder when the bills will stop coming for all these items but are glad that we moved up here. Moving is always expensive and the costs are always higher then you hope or think. Plan for it as much as you can.
Thanks. Fortunetly, our furniture is already in storage and we probably will be able to do the move for under 4k as it is off season. We are renting not buying so move-in will be nominal. We are driving cross country as we did before to save money there and even though you are suppose to change your tags, etc. we didn't for six month with no problem. Won't do it this time. We live very modestly and have sold all unneeded items. I am hoping to secure a job with an interior design studio or independent furniture store that also does design. Anyone have any connections that could help me?

Old 10-01-2007, 05:52 PM

735 posts, read 3,500,633 times
I have to agree with Haber-

We moved 50 miles and our costs were around $6K. Movers and a few furniture items add up fast! New window blinds- about $600- things like that that you don't plan for can really throw a kink in your budget. And as mentioned- 1st/last and security is no chump change.

Where are you moving anyway Puf? - I think I missed some of the old threads and skipped a chapter or two.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post
I have to agree with Haber-

We moved 50 miles and our costs were around $6K. Movers and a few furniture items add up fast! New window blinds- about $600- things like that that you don't plan for can really throw a kink in your budget. And as mentioned- 1st/last and security is no chump change.

Where are you moving anyway Puf? - I think I missed some of the old threads and skipped a chapter or two.
Very funny..a chapter or two!LOL We have a signed estimate from a large United moving co. to move us for $4200 because we have the bare minimum. When we moved from Boston back to California it was about $4200 with much more furniture. Just lucky I guess. No definite destination just yet. Same places we were interested in about 12 chapters ago!LOL

Old 10-02-2007, 04:04 AM

735 posts, read 3,500,633 times
Yeah- I must have missed some of the other threads. Last I heard you still were up in the air with 4-5 towns and finding a rental that would accept the dogs....

Well- let us know when you have set the compass and have your destination Captain.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:04 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,488 times
Living with in-laws is death to a marriage. I say this from personal experience. We moved into his family home so his mother and sister wouldn't have to leave after his father passed away. Five years later, we're divorced and somehow I get the inlaws! It's now been ten years and I have about five more (until both my kids graduate) then they're on their own!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
Living with in-laws is death to a marriage. I say this from personal experience. We moved into his family home so his mother and sister wouldn't have to leave after his father passed away. Five years later, we're divorced and somehow I get the inlaws! It's now been ten years and I have about five more (until both my kids graduate) then they're on their own!
So the in laws liked you best? I haven't seen or spoken to my mother in law since last Monday and we live in the same house!

Old 10-02-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
So the in laws liked you best? I haven't seen or spoken to my mother in law since last Monday and we live in the same house!
M-in-law not so bad now that her son is gone. S-in-law is another story. We haven't spoken unless absolutely necessary in about 2 months. Bad blow-out where she ended up calling both my 16 yr old daughter and me some seriously nasty and unforgivable names.
But I pay the majority of the bills and they couldn't swing it on their own. My ex has moved on (rather strange situation which I won't bore you with!LOL) It's also the only house my kids really remember and I want to hang around until they graduate and move on. Then I can too.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:51 AM

345 posts, read 1,578,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post

maybe your mil is just as fed up with you three as you are of her.. sometimes as adults we need to realize when we have overstayed our welcome. Maybe she thinks you should all be on your own and not living in her home. Not trying to be mean, just something to consider. It's like the children who never move out. You are in your fifties, right??

Old 10-02-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoffive View Post
maybe your mil is just as fed up with you three as you are of her.. sometimes as adults we need to realize when we have overstayed our welcome. Maybe she thinks you should all be on your own and not living in her home. Not trying to be mean, just something to consider. It's like the children who never move out. You are in your fifties, right??
Forties. And I don't take offense. I'd love to leave and could live much cheaper somewhere else. I've almost made that move five times over the past five years. However, mil and sil have little to no income and I support them. They can't pay the bills nor can they maintain the house. Other siblings aren't interested either.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
Forties. And I don't take offense. I'd love to leave and could live much cheaper somewhere else. I've almost made that move five times over the past five years. However, mil and sil have little to no income and I support them. They can't pay the bills nor can they maintain the house. Other siblings aren't interested either.
I think she was referring to me. If so, I will try to clarify. Have lived with her only three months...it is NOT her house, it is her daughters house and she is living out of the country for a year and wanted us to watch over the MIL while helping us save on rent for a FEW months. Believe me, I know she does not want us here and has made that clear right from the beginning and neither do we, obviously. But that does not excuse the negativety,constant criticism and cold shoulder that we have received trying to help out. She pays nothing as well. Just a non-nurturing, ignorant old woman. But thanks for the subtle reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts