Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 PM

25 posts, read 128,493 times

Advertisements

What areas would you recommend a 20 something yr old female grad student to live in if attending school in Springfield? I will be moving here in August but have not had the opportunity to visit yet. I would like to narrow down my options to perhaps my top two choices so the housing search will be easier once I arrive, since I will only have a week to look and decide. Any insight will be extremely helpful! Both an apartment or a house will work for me.

Northampton is definitely a consideration for me but would like some other suggestions as well since it is a bit pricey. I do not mind a commute (no more than 30 mins to Springfield) if a commute that long is even doable during snow and winter. I am from the south so I have never even seen or driven in snow. How much extra time would a 30 minute commute in the summer take during a snowy winter? Also, I would like to live in an area with younger people my age and nearby restaurants, shopping, and nightlife is a must. The more city feel the better. I would also like to get everyone's opinion on what its like living in the Hartford CT area and how bad of a commute it would be to Springfield.

I would greatly appreciate a description of the areas in and around Springfield (Northampton,Easthampton,Longmeadow, East Longmeadow, Holyoke, Chicopee, Hartford, West Springfield...and everything else you feel I should know about) to get a better feel of what they are like so I can try to narrow it down and decide which areas are right for me. Listing unsafe and rundown areas to definately avoid will also be extremely helpful! Please help with anything you can!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 12:59 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
i grew up in West Springfield. Here are the areas I would suggest: Easthampton, West Springfield, the eastern edge of Springfield (Indian Orchard), Wilbraham, Ludlow, Longmeadow, East Longmeadow or Agawam (to the extent you can find apartments). I would avoid the downtown areas of Holyoke and Chicopee, but the part of Chicopee around Westover is OK, but not very visually attractive. There are some renovated lofts in Springfield, but some are noisy with the bar crowds. If this option appeals, search the forum on specific places.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:50 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
i grew up in West Springfield. Here are the areas I would suggest: Easthampton, West Springfield, the eastern edge of Springfield (Indian Orchard), Wilbraham, Ludlow, Longmeadow, East Longmeadow or Agawam (to the extent you can find apartments). I would avoid the downtown areas of Holyoke and Chicopee, but the part of Chicopee around Westover is OK, but not very visually attractive. There are some renovated lofts in Springfield, but some are noisy with the bar crowds. If this option appeals, search the forum on specific places.
I grew up in Springfield and goldenage1 has given some very good suggestions. It would help to know which school you will be attending: AIC, Springfield College, Westfield State, Western New England? Although I no longer live there my family and I were there for a visit last year.
I don't want to disparage the city, but it did not remind me of the place where I grew up. A lot has changed.
Northampton is nice, but it is a bit of a drive to have to make, especially in the winter. I attended the University of Mass in Amherst and commuted daily from Springfield. While I loved driving, especially when I got to the Northampton/Amherst area, there were days when it began to wear on me. I would suggest you live someplace closer to where you'll be attending school.

In any event, good luck and please continue to research the area and ask questions. By the way, one of the things I loved about growing up there was its close proximity to Boston (1 1/2 hours), New York (3 hours) and Hartford, Ct (30 mins). You won't be far from the city at all! If you don't live in the Northeast already be prepared to encounter beautiful scenery, culture and history!

Good luck!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
It would help to know which school you will be attending: AIC, Springfield College, Westfield State, Western New England?
I was also going to suggest that the school may have an off-campus housing office which has lists of apartments. One thing to be aware of is that many older buildings were not designed for air-conditioning. So, if you are going to be there through summer, look for a place with central A/C.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:00 PM

609 posts, read 2,242,594 times
AC is not that big of a thing if you have a fan. Good Heat ofcourse is an absolute requirement during the fall/winter months.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:37 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,344 times
Based on crime and quality of life issues, I would advise you to check out West Springfield, Chicopee, Agawam, or Ludlow first. If you want to live in Springfield, stay out of the north and south end, the square. and the lower part of Forest Park area..like lower Belmont Ave, lower Dickinson street area, etc.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Based on crime and quality of life issues, I would advise you to check out West Springfield, Chicopee, Agawam, or Ludlow first.
Ludlow is the area most convenient to Western New England, AIC and Springfield College.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:01 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,557 times
I don't see how ludlow is the most convenient,I would look East Forest park,16 acres or East Longmeadow if going to any of the above schools. Coming from Ludlow is all city driving and going all the was acros town.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
I don't see how ludlow is the most convenient,I would look East Forest park,16 acres or East Longmeadow if going to any of the above schools. Coming from Ludlow is all city driving and going all the was acros town.
I agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts