Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:56 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
As I said, diversity makes life interesting, and sameness can be suffocating.
Sameness can also be safer.

I think the best combination is having a diverse community of well-educated people. And I would pick a well-educated sameness community over an uneducated diverse one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 01:23 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
City-data has ethnic breakdowns for every city you enter on the main page. I was looking for a friend who has an Asian daughter and was whining that his town in Virginia "is too white." Now, his town is some 80% black, quite diverse that way, but "not Asian." I had to point out to him that largely only cities in his beloved California are so largely Asian (unlike the rest of the U.S.).
Anyway, the very pleasant good-schools town/suburb of Acton here is very diverse. Any area with high-tech employment has lots of Asians and Indians and different people.
I pointed out to my friend that most areas are stratified by income/education, not ethnicity/race, and that he is likely to live in a higher-income area with similar people. It is not likely to be "funky," nor do I think he really wants that with small kids, Asian or otherwise.
I personally don't want to live amongst poor people. I know too many of them from my work and my former life in Cambridge (when there was rent control). I prefer a diverse community because there are better restaurants (Two Indian resturants in the area recently!) and just because it makes the world seem less lonely to me, seeing and hearing different kinds of people. I enjoy the Brazilian music playing in the convenience store where I go and discussing samba with the clerk. The world is just more colorful when it's diverse.
But not poor people of any stripe. I learned that.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:19 AM

96 posts, read 454,241 times
I live in Springfield and it is 1/3 white, 1/3 black, 1/3 hispanic with lots of gay/lesbian amongst the population.

I'd say it's the most diverse at least in Western Mass, if not the State.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:55 PM

9 posts, read 61,646 times
The real world has all kinds of people in it. We have to accept the fact that we are all different. Public schools in urban areas help kids understand that it takes all kinds to make the world go round. If you try to separate yourself from other people, you lose. I have met very nice people who are totally different from me. I have met some I don't care to be with. It all depends on the individual.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:45 PM

93,346 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I would think Cambridge, Springfield, Boston, Brockton, Somerville, Lynn, Chelsea, Amherst, Lowell and Worcester would be the most diverse cities or communities in Massachusetts. Some other decently diverse communities in Massachusetts are:Holyoke, Medford, Lawrence, New Bedford, Leominster/Fitchburg, Ayre(former military town), Framingham, Salem and Hyannis, among others.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:19 PM

32 posts, read 125,837 times
Someone mentioned Acton. It is becoming more diverse for sure. There is even a newish Chinese grocery store in South Acton now. There are a lot of Asians and Indians in Acton. Not very many Blacks or Hispanics though.

IA that Cambridge is probably the most diverse city/town in MA, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts