U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:54 PM

25 posts, read 44,688 times
Default How much would it cost per month to heat a 1 bedroom apt. during the winter?

Where I am from, we barely have to use the heater during our so called "winter". About how much would it cost to heat a 1 bedroom apartment via electric, gas, and oil? Which one is typically cheaper and the best option? Which is the most common? I'm trying to get an idea of utility costs so I can know for sure what rental price ranges are affordable. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 12:15 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,910,470 times
I think OP would get more answers if not posting numerous general questions like, "What is ___ like?"
Same with heat. Depends on what kind of building and where you are. Many apartments include heat, which would take the question away.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:26 AM

25 posts, read 44,688 times
The reason I am asking is because I am searching for general answers so I can know what to look for. Wouldn't you have the same questions if relocating and unfamiliar with the area and climate? Please tell me how else are you supposed to ask such a question? If ALL apartments I've considered included heat, I wouldn't be asking now would I? I'm sure somebody has lived in a 1 bedroom apartment in Massachusetts before and can tell me what it usually costs.

Last edited by dlynn2307; 07-08-2012 at 12:35 AM..

Old 07-08-2012, 05:40 AM

131 posts, read 151,673 times
Smile Heat costs

Generally speaking, a 1 BR apartment is not going to cost much to heat. Usually, it will be fairly warm from surrounding apartments. Electric is most expensive, then oil, then natural gas. A lot of apts have electric heat so that the tenants can regulate their own heat and don't require a separate furnace.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:28 AM

3,266 posts, read 2,512,762 times
Another factor will be the age of the building. Older buildings typically are not as well insulated and/or have older windows which are not air tight either. The heating system itself will be a factor too. Older systems tend to be less effecient and so are systems that are not well maintained.

There are so many factors that go into your heating bill. Of course, your bill will also be highly dependent upon what temperature you set the thermostat to.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that there is not a simple answer to your question which on the surface might seem simple.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:36 AM

6,367 posts, read 5,711,225 times
The closest estimate I can give you is my mom's 2BR place in Connecticut. She has electric baseboard heat with separate thermostat in each room, and large windows. She could spend as much as $200 per month, so she shuts off the heat in unused rooms.

The easiest thing for you to do is look for a place with included heat.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:47 AM
miu

12,680 posts, read 20,778,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynn2307 View Post
The reason I am asking is because I am searching for general answers so I can know what to look for. Wouldn't you have the same questions if relocating and unfamiliar with the area and climate? Please tell me how else are you supposed to ask such a question? If ALL apartments I've considered included heat, I wouldn't be asking now would I? I'm sure somebody has lived in a 1 bedroom apartment in Massachusetts before and can tell me what it usually costs.
You have 19 posts and 15 different threads started. I think that you could have done this all in two threads, one in MA and another one in the CT forum. Start by telling us about yourself, what you will be doing here and your housing needs, list all the towns you are looking at, and then wait for us to reply to them. If you individually list all of the towns you are wondering about, it hampers any replies that might compare the different towns. Just saying you need to live near Springfield, have a small dog and will be a student is really all you need to put in a housing thread for the MA and CT forums. And in the same two threads, ask about winter heating costs in that area.

Plus you should also have first searched the forums for threads already created that might address your questions. Search by town names. And we've had many threads about winter heating costs and pet-friendly housing. For many years, City-Data has been a fountain of good information, and because of that, we already have created threads on your queries. And sometimes, the members get tired of repeating the same answers, so the more new threads there are about the same topic, the less the number of responses and information. Think of City-Data also as a reference library. Don't make us have to type out our answers over and over again.

With heating costs, a lot will depend on how warm you need the inside of your apartment to be. Personally, I layer my clothing in the winter and put up plastic on my windows for better insulation. I also have a programmable thermostat in my place. I keep my heating settings on 68 degrees. I have gas heat and signed up to have the gas company average my bills. I paid about $50 a month across the board with one big bill of $140 in the spring for heating one two bedroom floor in a two family house.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:51 AM

463 posts, read 428,098 times
I haven't lived in a one bedroom apartment for about 16-17 years, but I can tell you when I last did, I had electric heat and the bills were high. It was in a fairly modern building, with a sliding door that went onto a balcony, so I know we lost a lot of heat through that big glass door. Either way, I would avoid electric heat.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:03 PM

417 posts, read 615,531 times
The apartment you live in really matters. If its air tight with efficient heating equipment...you wouldn't spend much. For example...I rented a 3 bedroom old house and I was paying like over 300 and almost 400 during the winter months just for heating and when i moved to another 3 bedroom newer house with better and more airtight windows and doors and also newer furnace and water heater and my heating bills in winter months is not even 200 per month. I'm talking heating with natural gas in both instances

Old 07-12-2012, 08:00 AM

4 posts, read 10,487 times
I live in NYC and have a steam trap heating my home. It keeps us warm, and we haven't had too many problems with it. I know we're talking about two different states here, but I stand by steam traps - I have had them my entire life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts