Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:57 PM

8 posts, read 7,853 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to the area to work near the airport. Looking at schools, walkability, and town feel have some questions on best places. For instance - on the surface Melrose, Lynn and Quincy all have some things about them I like, but I shudder at other things I hear. What would the best options be ? Need easy commute to airport area - specifically round the racetrack - and must have decent schools, walkable downtown areas that are safe and reasonable pricing. Given I'm coming from areas that cost less than half of what I'm seeing in Boston, reasonable is a relative term. Are Revere, Everett, Chelsea that bad ? Looking for a place to finally call home, so any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 05:43 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoChrnt View Post
Are Revere, Everett, Chelsea that bad ?
Yes. Sadly, this is the case for most of the towns closest to the airport.

Giving us a specific price range would definitely help. I think Melrose sounds like a good choice for your criteria, although it is more expensive than the other towns you listed. Quincy is more affordable and also has several walkable neighborhoods, but I think that commute might be rough depending on what time of day you're commuting - at least from Melrose you have a few different possible routes to the racetrack.

Lynn is... well, Lynn. "Decent" is not a word I would use to describe the schools there, and "safe" is not a word often associated with the city.

How long of a commute are you willing to have? Going a little further out might open up your options a little bit.

Last edited by Verseau; 07-08-2012 at 06:54 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 07:56 AM

132 posts, read 545,009 times
Of the ones you've named, I would consider Melrose the nicest. Very sweet little downtown area.

But, the tradeoff is distance and price. Are you looking to rent or buy, and what price range?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:41 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
You don't state enough information.
Schools? Are you seeking a college for yourself or schools for children?
Do you have an automobile or are you seeking strictly public transportation?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:33 AM

I do have a vehicle, but would be very interested in being close to the T if possible, especially during the winter. Good Elementary school would be the type that I'm looking for.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickybox View Post
Of the ones you've named, I would consider Melrose the nicest. Very sweet little downtown area.

But, the tradeoff is distance and price. Are you looking to rent or buy, and what price range?

I am hoping that the commute is under 40 minutes and would have to rent initially until I could really get a feel for the area. I've tried to look at rentals online to get an average price range, but am finding some difficulty in identifying areas that would fit what I'm looking for and applicable averages.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:33 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoChrnt View Post
I do have a vehicle, but would be very interested in being close to the T if possible, especially during the winter. Good Elementary school would be the type that I'm looking for.
Melrose is relatively close to the Orange Line (which connects to the Blue Line), but a commute by T would still take about 3 times longer than driving to East Boston, because you have to go through downtown Boston first in order to get there. Same is true for other areas that might fit your criteria, like Quincy. A commute under 40 minutes from a town that matches your criteria is definitely feasible by car, but unfortunately not by public transportation - you're looking at at least an hour for that.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:04 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,811,944 times
What is your monthly rent budget?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 AM

940 posts, read 1,935,184 times
The closest nice towns to the airport are Swampscott and Melrose. Revere is affordable, and I would not call it unsafe, but it's very diverse. Everett and Chelsea are the same. You might want to look at Winthrop. It's more affordable than Swampscott and Melrose, but not as bad as Revere. It's small and quiet, but right next to Boston and the airport.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:30 PM

304 posts, read 773,976 times
I was going to recommend Melrose and Swampscott too. Depending on your income, Marblehead is also a wonderful town (but it is more expensive than Swampscott and Melrose).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts