Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:49 AM

2 posts, read 6,319 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and 18 month old are relocating to Cape Cod due to a job offer. I am concerned about cancer rates but can't find which towns are safest from the air/water pollution. Also looking for up to date info on towns that are family friendly. We are into the natural side of life with food and nature. Any experiences with the Montessori school? Thanks much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 07:20 AM

2,201 posts, read 5,326,882 times
Where is his job and are you looking to rent or buy? What is your budget?

The Cape is a big area with vastly differing prices and opportunities for housing so this information is important to help us, help you.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,298 times
Default Cape Home

Chatham is a great town.

Check out these articles about the eastern radar system:
[url=http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100516/NEWS/5160330]PAVE PAWS marks 30th anniversary | CapeCodOnline.com[/url]

[url=http://www.afspc.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=3656]Factsheets : PAVE PAWS Radar System[/url]

There was a map on their site which noted electro-magnetic radio waves from each town, though it has since been taken down.

Also underground plumes of contaminated water have been discovered all around Otis Airforce base.

Harwich, Brewster and Orleans are also very lovely!! There are so many lovely parts of the cape.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-17-2012 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: realtor site

Old 07-09-2012, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,319 times
We are renting... looking for 3br house for $1600... job in Hyannis. Thanks!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:23 AM

870 posts, read 1,671,496 times
Cancer rates? Lived in Cape Cod and haven't heard anything about that. Look into Waldorf in Cotuit...very much like Montessori. Little bit of a drive, but worth it. Good Montessori schools in Sandwich but if you are living in Hyannis, then too far of a drive. Not sure what he wants for a commute, but all things that you stated, Sandwich would be your most fitting location.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 AM

Your budget is going to limit your choices. Try Bourne, (see below) Mashpee and Centerville. You can always get seasonal housing during the off season and then move for the summer- but I am not sure if you would find that feasible with a toddler.

The cancer clusters seem to be centered around the base. Parts of Forestdale in Sandwich have been identified as areas of concern. Current maps show the plumes of jet fuel moving toward 28 in Bourne. There has been some concern with wells over there. PAVE PAWS has been tossed around as a culprit as well but supposedly the incidence of cancer is no higher in the areas surrounding the system in California.

My mom's neighbor sends their little girl to this Montessori school. They love it. http://www.bridgeviewschool.com/inde...1680062547.pdf

It is located in Sagamore which might make Bourne a good choice for you. If you can find housing in Sagamore, the commute would not be that bad for your husband. He could use 6, 6A or Service Road to get to Hyannis.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:45 PM

374 posts, read 650,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
Cancer rates? Lived in Cape Cod and haven't heard anything about that. Look into Waldorf in Cotuit...very much like Montessori. Little bit of a drive, but worth it. Good Montessori schools in Sandwich but if you are living in Hyannis, then too far of a drive. Not sure what he wants for a commute, but all things that you stated, Sandwich would be your most fitting location.
??? People keep talking about the cancer rates around the MMR!!!

Bill

Old 07-15-2012, 11:35 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,979,597 times
Yes, first it was breast cancer rates (never substantiated) and then Ewing's Sarcoma, also found to be without merit. If you google the subject, you'll find a few news articles going back 4-5 years as well as a thread which appeared on this site. Always recommended that we educate ourselves rather than listening to the people who keep talking about it with no facts.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:13 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,327,528 times
I was worried also about cancer rates before moving to Cape Cod. I did a lot of research and I have a previous post floating around the boards somewhere. But now I live on Cape Cod, the senior capital of Massachusetts, and with all the older people here, most of them appearing quite healthy, I've completely stopped worrying.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:29 PM

Here is the info on the wells that sparked concern and the findings:
Contaminated groundwater cleanup continues on Otis ANG Base - - The Bourne Courier

Here is the info on the Otis Superfund Site:
List of Superfund sites in Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is quite a bit on PAVE PAWS out there.

Here is a good chart that shows expected and actual instances of cancer from a study done in Sandwich:
http://www.sandwichmass.org/PublicDo...ate%207.06.pdf

This story is close to my heart as I know this gentleman. The contamination was at Camp Lejeune but it does speak to the level of misrepresentation and/or cover up of the situation.
Government links Hanover vet

I think any one of us here can list too many people we know who have been diagnosed with cancer who have lived very healthy lifestyles. Cancer sucks. Plain and simple. I think it's important to educate yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts