U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:34 PM

940 posts, read 847,139 times

Advertisements

Haverhill - inexpensive, former manufacturing town, factory lofts, cheaper office space in former factories, good restaurant scene downtown.

Georgetown - good size lots and houses for the money, quiet, woodsy, lots of driving.

Topsfield - good schools, big expensive isolated houses, quiet.

Peabody - cheap, traffic, mall, blue collar

Danvers - families, shopping

Ipswich - beaches, views, clam shacks, families, cute downtown, historic homes

Beverly - nice, affordable, apartment buildings, restaurants, close to Salem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 05:41 PM

17 posts, read 19,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
Haverhill - inexpensive, former manufacturing town, factory lofts, cheaper office space in former factories, good restaurant scene downtown.

Georgetown - good size lots and houses for the money, quiet, woodsy, lots of driving.

Topsfield - good schools, big expensive isolated houses, quiet.

Peabody - cheap, traffic, mall, blue collar

Danvers - families, shopping

Ipswich - beaches, views, clam shacks, families, cute downtown, historic homes

Beverly - nice, affordable, apartment buildings, restaurants, close to Salem

Thanks for the breakdown!

Seems like Salem or Beverly would be solid options. It may come down to affordability and availability since I'd probably be looking at a 9/1 move.

Still open to any and all info from people well versed with any of these areas or questions!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:04 PM

61 posts, read 78,436 times
Your only hope for a social life is pretty much salem, beverly comes in 2nd but by a long shot, not much going on in bev

Old 07-13-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster21 View Post
Your only hope for a social life is pretty much salem, beverly comes in 2nd but by a long shot, not much going on in bev
So far all signs point to Salem...however the one potential issue is I hear it can be difficult to get in and out of it.

I'd hate to end up in a town that is, on a map, close enough to everywhere I'd need to commute to...yet tack on an automatic extra 20 minutes just to get in an out of, for example.

Can anybody familiar with the town comment on that element of things? Is it really that sticky of a town to commute in and out of? Will it add an automatic extra chunk of time on my commute that may make it a daily hassle? If that's the case I may opt for something like a Beverly if I gain a significant amount of commuting town...although based on what I've heard it sounds like Salem may be a great fit for me.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:04 AM

I think it would be worth the extra time to get to the highways. It's still not as bad as Swampscott and Marblehead.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster21 View Post
Do you know enough about Beverly to comment on what IS going on there?

One bar and a few restaurants?

A nice little downtown strip?

Just curious what "not much" really entails...

Old 07-13-2012, 03:21 PM

There are a few bars on Cabot st and Rantoul st, but I am not really into bars, so you could get more details on Yelp. There is Qianti jazz lounge, Soma and Mandrake are nice, Wild Horse Cafe, Hale Street Tavern are among the best. There are a lot more restaurants in Beverly, but downtown Salem is only a bridge away and convenient to Beverly. Plus in 30 minutes on a weekend you can be in Boston or Newburyport.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
There are a few bars on Cabot st and Rantoul st, but I am not really into bars, so you could get more details on Yelp. There is Qianti jazz lounge, Soma and Mandrake are nice, Wild Horse Cafe, Hale Street Tavern are among the best. There are a lot more restaurants in Beverly, but downtown Salem is only a bridge away and convenient to Beverly. Plus in 30 minutes on a weekend you can be in Boston or Newburyport.
I'm not a huge bar person either. A place like Qianti, with jazz and funk (from what I hear), is far more up my alley. Although being single and 30 part of me feels like I need to get out to more places than just live music...since it can be tough to strike up a conversation when people are rocking out to live music.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnLearnYourself View Post
Can anybody comment on the commute out of Salem to a place like Methuen or Haverhill?

Google maps says 45 minutes, but I'm wondering if it gets much stickier than that during rush hours.
From Salem you'll probably go on 114 west to get onto 95, then Haverhill.
For Methuen you'd probably go 114west, then 128 south, then 95 south then 93N

Getting through 114 will be the worst part for you and it'd definitely add on at least 20min to your daily commute each way if you're going to haverhill, making your commute not 45min, but somewhere around 1hr-1hr15min each way, would be my guess.

For Methuen you're not on 114west too long, but then you're running into the 93N calamity, which although it isn't as bad as the 93S junction, I was driving past it at 2pm two fridays ago and it was hell, granted only for a little bit, and once you got on 93N it was ok, but the onramp added 15mins to where I was going.

I'd say Methuen would be 45min-1hr and Haverhill would be 1hr on average and sometimes 1hr15min but it's almost splitting hairs between the two.

All those places out west from the coast are a ***** because nobody young wants to live there, and the places where people want to live (Salem or Boston areas) are far from those places.

Anyone else care to comment and help this guy out? That's my guess.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnLearnYourself View Post
Do you know enough about Beverly to comment on what IS going on there?

One bar and a few restaurants?

A nice little downtown strip?

Just curious what "not much" really entails...
More like one bar and a few restaurants side of the spectrum. I don't consider Beverly having a 'nice little strip,' I'd consider Salem to have a 'nice little strip' moreso. Beverly is pretty quiet compared to Salem. And Salem is pretty quiet compared to Boston of course, but Salem has a little more to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts