U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 05:22 PM

3,286 posts, read 9,092,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
Is there a particular area of study and degree specialty you have in mind? Maybe I missed it, but it seems that would play the most critical part in your decision.

BU is to BC as pharmaceuticals are to beer.
something with geography, something with demography/population, dentistry, or pharmacy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 10:50 AM

1,815 posts, read 7,695,015 times
Only BU has dentistry or pharmacy program. BC does not have either.

geography - Do you want geology?

demography/population- I assume you want to use statistics. Hence, Math major?

Old 10-03-2007, 05:33 PM

26 posts, read 78,408 times
My sisters all went to BC and Salem State - they are all millionaires now- so it shows it doesn't matter where you go- it's what you do with your education.

SAT's don't matter as much as the money - if you are a legacy- you'll get in- if your daddy has money- you'll get in- if you don't and you get a loan- you'll get in.

It's all about the benjamins- college is a money-making institution and is there to make a profit. Simple as that. Economics 101.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:00 PM

1,815 posts, read 7,695,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonlady View Post
My sisters all went to BC and Salem State - they are all millionaires now- so it shows it doesn't matter where you go- it's what you do with your education.
How did they use their education to become millionaires?

Want to share how you use your education to become millionaires?

Are you saying there is no education difference between Salem State and BC?

Old 10-03-2007, 11:59 PM

5,213 posts, read 8,933,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
How did they use their education to become millionaires?

Want to share how you use your education to become millionaires?

Are you saying there is no education difference between Salem State and BC?
I agree that there's more to it than letting in anyone who's got the Benjamins. A poorly run school might do that, but most won't. The bucks might not hurt, but at any respectable college they're not going to get you in if you don't have the qualifications. It sounds as if the OP does, but he needs to find the school that makes the best fit for him.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:13 PM

104 posts, read 351,504 times
Default Boston is great for college

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
something with geography, something with demography/population, dentistry, or pharmacy
I went to BU and began in the "basic Studies" program - it helped me figure out what I wanted to do with my life as an adult...BC is a fantastic school with great sports and competitiveness, BU is a melting pot, ...both are great. THere are many more schools in town so perhaps you should do a college search....But you cannot go wrong with Boston as it is full of students- and educated ones at that!

Old 10-06-2007, 05:47 AM

13 posts, read 29,324 times
I went to Umass Amherst and recently graduated 6 months ago. I was in the school of management and was able to get a job in March, 2 months before my graduation in May. My GPA was 3.2 overall and 3.4 in my major (finance). I am now working for a large insurance company earning the same wage and with the same job title as many students who went to BU and Holycross (both private $$$). Before getting this job I did an internship at another large insurance company and worked with students from BC, Babson, BU, Umass Lowell, again earning the same wage. Some of these students had GPAs over 3.5 and mine was actually one of the lowest in the group (I was in engineering before finance and it killed my gpa).

I spent $5500 on tuition/sem. and lived off campus as soon as I could, only paying $300/mo in rent. I also had a great time there and still go back to visit once or twice a week to see my g/f and friends.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:34 PM

3 posts, read 20,078 times
Default A vote for Umass Amherst

First things first: your education is what you make of it.

I'm not well-off and though I wanted to go to NYU or BU, I simply couldn't afford it. Thus, I went to Umass Amherst and recently graduated with honors and two degrees.

Umass is indeed a heavy party school... but that sort of thing doesn't interest me. Nor does it interest many of its students and I met some really intelligent people while attending the "zoo."

Most of the funds for the Massachusetts public universities go to Umass Amherst, NOT Umass Lowell... You will get a better education at Amherst. There's also a 5-college consortium and you will be able to take courses at Amherst College, Hampshire College, Smith College, and Mt. Holyoke College. In addition to that, the Amherst-Northampton area is much nicer and safer than Lowell.

I think that a lot of Ogre's attacks on Umass Amherst come from the fact that he is an older student. Think about it: a younger student goes to university not just for education but for experience as well. An older student goes for education, not for social reasons or growing up. Therefore an older student, I would think, is more apt to be critical of the institution itself. There are lots of problems at Umass, to be sure, but every institution has its problems, let's face it. There's BS everywhere.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:09 PM

5,213 posts, read 8,933,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by film fatale View Post
First things first: your education is what you make of it.

I'm not well-off and though I wanted to go to NYU or BU, I simply couldn't afford it. Thus, I went to Umass Amherst and recently graduated with honors and two degrees.

Umass is indeed a heavy party school... but that sort of thing doesn't interest me. Nor does it interest many of its students and I met some really intelligent people while attending the "zoo."

Most of the funds for the Massachusetts public universities go to Umass Amherst, NOT Umass Lowell... You will get a better education at Amherst. There's also a 5-college consortium and you will be able to take courses at Amherst College, Hampshire College, Smith College, and Mt. Holyoke College. In addition to that, the Amherst-Northampton area is much nicer and safer than Lowell.

I think that a lot of Ogre's attacks on Umass Amherst come from the fact that he is an older student. Think about it: a younger student goes to university not just for education but for experience as well. An older student goes for education, not for social reasons or growing up. Therefore an older student, I would think, is more apt to be critical of the institution itself. There are lots of problems at Umass, to be sure, but every institution has its problems, let's face it. There's BS everywhere.
It is true that some of my bad experiences at UMass Amherst had to do with my being an older student, but I don't think the problems there can be dismissed that easily. Here's one example of something that clearly had to do with my being older than the typical student: For two years in a row, I went for basically the entire year (one year until late April, the next year until early May) without financial aid, because the Financial Aid office never got my package put together. I had gotten my application in on time each year, with all the i's dotted and t's crossed, so the problem was entirely some kind of bungled handling of my application within the Financial Aid office. This would not have been such a problem, except that I encountered a very bureucratic mentality at the Bursar's office. Their attitude was that all they did was collect the money when students paid their bills, and if a student's bill was not paid on time, their standard policy was to have the student withdrawn. The fact that the bill was unpaid because of the failure of another university office to do their job wasn't an issue. Bursar's took the attitude that this was something between me and Financial Aid.

Because of this, for two straight academic years I lived under the constant threat of being withdrawn from school at any time, and had to go through the major hassle of repeated visits, all year long, to officials all over the administration building to plead my case, typically receiving a cold, unhelpful response, and generally getting a complete runaround as I was bounced from one office to another. It would take a week, sometimes even a couple of weeks, to get in to see someone, who always seemed to be out to lunch or at a meeting, only to be told in thirty seconds that this was not the person who could help me, and to be given the name of someone else with whom I'd go through the same process again. This was all the worse because I lived on campus in housing for older students and had a campus job. With my income and housing tied to my status as a student, I lived under the constant threat of being dismissed from school, and also suddenly being made homeless and unemployed.

This relates to my older-student status for two reasons: First, the threat of losing my job and housing was especially distressing since I was beyond the age where heading back home and staying with my parents was a viable option. Second, I eventually learned that at least some of the fumbling in the Fin. Aid office had to do with the fact that I was at UMass to seek a second bachelor's degree and therefore was ineligible for the standard forms of financial aid that students get for their first bachelor's degrees. Again and again I found that offices at that university seemed to have a difficult time dealing with a student whose situation was not standard. At one point I actually managed to wangle a meeting with the head of Financial Aid--which took some serious doing, becuase, believe me, the honchos at UMass are well protected, by many layers of subordinates, from direct dealings with students voicing concerns--and I learned that one reason for the holdup in my aid was that someone in Financial Aid had seen that I had not requested the usual forms of aid on my application. In an apparent attempt to "correct" my "mistake," this employee had whited out the types of aid I had requested, and had filled in a request for the usual types of first-bachelor's-degree aid, for which I was ineligible. Then apparently someone else had seen that my application was incorrect, and had simply set it aside and forgotten about it. The employee who had changed the application had done so without my consent, or even my knowledge, and had FORGED MY INITIALS to make it appear that I had made the change.

I don't have any idea what other problems may have interfered with my financial aid, but it's possible that the whole situation never would have happened if I had not been an older student working on a second degree. On the other hand, I can't recommend a university where such practices as the forged initials take place.

And, my being an older student most likely was not a factor in the many other serious difficulties I encountered at UMass Amherst. It apparently had nothing to do with the semester that it took me six weeks before my IT account, which I very much needed for my classes (I was majoring in math) could be activated, because the Registrar's office kept failing to include my name on the list of current students they sent every couple of weeks to the IT office.

Being an older student most likely had nothing to do with the time I was not permitted to register for classes because someone got the idea that the records showed I had graduated--three semesters before the earliest time that I could have fulfilled my graduation requirements. In that case, UMass also did me the favor of notifying the federal student loan agency that I had graduated, so that the feds were after me to start repaying my loans, and even started threatening to sue me, all the while that I was an actively enrolled student, not yet required to repay loans.

Most likely, being an older student had nothing to do with the three semesters that Housing never got my bill to me, no matter how many times I went to the Housing office to try to clear this up. That situation was not resoloved until more than a year after I had wised up and transferred out of UMass. For that next year-plus, I kept contacting UMass to try to pay these bills, and was repeatedly told that their records indicated I owed them nothing--all the while, as it turned out, that another arm of UMass administration was working on starting collection proceedings against me.

Being an older student certainly was not the reason I attended classes in lecture halls with broken seats scattered throughout, which remained broken smester after semester, while students sat on the floors in the aisles.

And, these are only a few of the many examples I could give of my experience at UMass Amherst.

I would not attach much importance to the amount of funding the state allocates to the Amherst campus, compared to UMass Lowell for example. I started at UMass Amherst during a low point in funding from the state, and was there for several funding increases. At best, things remained about the same for students. At worst, there continued to be reductions in student services and activities. At the same time, during this period of increasing state funding, I'd read occasionally in the campus paper about the creation of some new committee, with a vaguely stated function, to be headed by a newly hired administrator receiving a lucrative salary, who would have some title like Special Assistant to the Special Adviser to the Adjunct Senior Associate Vice President for Aesthetic Affairs, or some such nonsense.

As for the notion that there's BS everywhere, well, I've been a student at three colleges, UMass Amherst, the college where I got my first degree, and the school I transferred to from UMass, so I have a good basis for comparison. I can tell you that, based on my experience, most places don't have anything like the BS you find at UMass Amherst.

A final note on this: As I suggested in my earlier post, check the Princeton Review's rankings in the category Long Lines and Red Tape, and see how near the top UMass Amherst ranks, out of the 300-plus schools reviewed at the P.R. website.

In fairness, I will say that I never knew anyone else at UMass who had as many bureucracy problems as I did. However, also in fairness, I knew MANY students who encountered some of the same kinds of difficulties.

I did find that once I had negotiated some serious roadblocks each semester before I could even get into classes, I found the school's academic quality to be good, as long as one allows for the reality of large lecture halls, and lower-level classes taught by graduate students, which is typical of any large university. Therefore, I can see why some would have a positive view of UMass. I'm happy for the two people who have posted here who feel their experiences there were positive, but I had a different experience, and I knew many others who did as well. Also, judging from the fact that the OP also posted a similar thread at the NY forum, asking about schools in NY, it's quite possible the OP is not from MA, and would not even have the benefit of in-state tuition at UMass. Considering all of this, I still have to strongly encourage this person to consider other options than UMass Amherst.

Last edited by ogre; 10-08-2007 at 08:49 PM..

Old 10-08-2007, 09:18 PM

3,286 posts, read 9,092,894 times
yes. you're correct ogre. i'm from Los Angeles. I'm hoping to get into a state univ. here, but the UC (University of California) system is for geniouses and nerds, while the CSU (California State University) system is for complete retards, so i'ts hard to find a middle ground here. i'm not even applying to any CSU colleges, but im applying to all UC's and praying that I get into UC Los Angeles or Santa Barbara. I am also considering places in WA, OR, NY, MA, and MI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts